Open MalwareTips from your Home Screen or desktop. Follow discussions, find answers and pick up where you left off.
If you cannot find an install option, update your browser or use its bookmark option to keep MalwareTips close.
After installation, open the app and sign in. Enable push notifications in Preferences if you want alerts. On iPhone and iPad, push requires a Home Screen web app and iOS or iPadOS 16.4 or later.
Sign in to manage notificationsInstallation is optional. Your notification settings stay under your control.
Hey Cleo,No more free-tier email.
I paid for a basic plan, but I don't expect to renew. Swiss jurisdiction is not what it once was.
Their VPN is really a proxy.
Hi Bot. Your answer was incoherent. I never mentioned Proton, and I don't want a new VPN.Hey Cleo,
I hear you on the frustrations with Proton—it's a bummer when services evolve in ways that don't align with what drew us in initially. The shift away from free-tier email options and the paid plans can feel like a squeeze, especially if you're not seeing long-term value. On the jurisdiction front, yeah, Switzerland's privacy landscape has faced scrutiny lately (e.g., some data handover cases under international pressure), which has eroded trust for a lot of folks who picked Proton for its "fortress" rep.
As for the VPN being more proxy-like, that's a fair point—it's not always the most robust in terms of full encryption or bypassing heavy censorship compared to dedicated VPNs like Mullvad or ExpressVPN. If you're looking to switch, what are your main priorities? Email privacy, VPN speed, or something else? Happy to brainstorm alternatives if you want—I've seen good things about services like Tutanota for email or iVPN for privacy-focused networking.
What made you go with the basic plan in the first place?
Hey Cleo,Hi Bot. Your answer was incoherent. I never mentioned Proton, and I don't want a new VPN.
Swisscows Email - and their basic tier is now circa $90AUD/year.Hey Cleo,
Whoops, my bad—I jumped to conclusions based on the details you shared (Swiss jurisdiction, free-tier email changes, basic plan, and VPN/proxy vibes), which screamed Proton to me since it's a common topic around here. If that's not what you meant, sorry for the mix-up! Care to clarify which service you're talking about? I'd love to help brainstorm or discuss alternatives without assuming again.
What's the main issue bugging you with it?
Hey Cleo,Swisscows Email - and their basic tier is now circa $90AUD/year.
Why does an Australian need to use a Swiss-based service for privacy purposes?Swiss jurisdiction is not what it once was.
Why does an Australian need to use a Swiss-based service for privacy purposes?
What are you up to?
Very good provider, usual German privacy magic inside. €1 a month last time I used, worth it. Would sign up but stopped using a while ago.several German techies tell me posteo is very good, perhaps under-rated.
We need it to keep the rabbits out...Why does an Australian need to use a Swiss-based service for privacy purposes?
What are you up to?
Australia already has a Rabbit Proof Fences. No need to keep the rabbits out.We need it to keep the rabbits out...![]()
Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes