Advice Request Switching to Ubuntu 14.10 from Windows 7?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
im thinking of going with linux as im sick of windows can you answer these questions

1. are drivers easy to find,install and update

2. can i play games like world of warcraft

3. how simple is it to find programs

4. can i use chrome on it and use extensions fro mthe chrome webstore

5. is it noob friendly

basically i just want my pc as it is now but without windows.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Will use Ubuntu as a base: Yes to all 5 questions. I also run WoW on Linux. Question 3 will be answered in the end:

If you use Debian as a base, it can be a bit more daunting.

Recommended Distros from Ubuntu based:
*Ubuntu family (Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu) <-- differences are: Ubuntu runs Unity, Kubuntu runs KDE, Xubuntu runs XFCE and Lubuntu runs LXDE, as a desktop environment
*Linux Mint: version 17 is quite stable
*Linux Lite: Rather run this XFCE distro over Mint XFCE version

Question 3 answer: All the above distributions apart from Linux Lite, have a software manager where you can filter by category. Linux Lite I believe it only uses synaptic manager.
Ubuntu based systems support PPAs so you can find a lot of softwares, the same as Arch having AURs.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
1:im not sure about,normaly it autoupdate drivers etc but i dont know. if not,u can find drivers on google easy within some minutes.

2:u can play games with it,but the most games are not compatible..u need to install some programs etc there are some "how to" on youtube.(Steam have made a linux platform)

3:if u use linux abit than its as easy as windows. maybe it just need abit of time to find all what u want and need.

4: yes,u can use chrome and extensions on linux.

5: yes it is,as noob friendly as microsoft is.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Oh one thing: If you use ATI cards, new installer aint the easiest. If you use NVIDIA, not always the latest drivers give you the best performance.

Best to dual boot Windows and Linux. Windows for gaming, Linux for everything else if you want.

Saying the above because you are just starting to step into the Linux world.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
yeah cos all i really wanna do is keep my pc as it is but switch the OS to something else

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
yeah cos all i really wanna do is keep my pc as it is but switch the OS to something else
you can and I will recommend the Ubuntu based ones, either Kubuntu/Xubuntu or Linux Lite.

One thing though, if you use steam you might come across some hiccups. If you are playing to install other games aside from WoW, prepare to see a drop on FPS etc. Make sure you have WINE and PlayOnLinux installed and updated as you will need it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Check the End of Support page for Ubuntu releases. In July, you'll need to upgrade 14.10 to 15.04. Unless you use the LTS release.

Ubuntu 14.10, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/releases

4. You can use Chromium-based browsers if supported, ie. Google Chrome does. Some Extensions are Windows only, Bitdefender Quick Scan.

I've edited title to reflect topic question.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Linux

1) For drivers it should not be the problem since the OS for Linux are getting updated always with latest support for drivers as possible, as long the Wifi, Bluetooth, Soundm Keyboard and Mouse is working upon installation then its auto detected already.

2) Yes you can play games by using the Wine HQ emulator
https://www.winehq.org/

3) From the first place of using Linux Distro, you will confuse a bit where you should start but it can be easily find programs from their so called Download center on OS itself,

4) Yes it can run very smoothly the extensions for Chrome.

5) It can be friendly, it does not provide a very hard getting OS which makes users confuse. You need a bit to adjust when dealing on Linux.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
my main filter is k9 webprotection but i think its only supported by mac and windows atm :(

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
my main filter is k9 webprotection but i think its only supported by mac and windows atm :(
I understand ESET 4 as well as appguard work well with ubuntu,:) though our lubuntu, duel booted beside a sleeping XP, on our old(-er) desktop tower didn't get on well with it.:rolleyes:

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
i need k9 filter to work with linux though as it protects from those hacking sites thats the only thing putting me off linux atm

which is easier for beginners linux mint or unbuntu

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
found https://www.codeweavers.com/ seems to be what i want i dunno tho
malwaretips.com had once have a giveaway for this product unfortunately I was not lucky enough to win it so cannot comment on the usage of it. If you want the free alternative for Linux you will need Wine and PlayOnLinux packages installed.

Also if I recall correctly linux lite has steam installed as well as playonlinux by default. On phone right now cannot fully verify.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
i need k9 filter to work with linux though as it protects from those hacking sites thats the only thing putting me off linux atm

which is easier for beginners linux mint or unbuntu

They are both considered stable distributions, although more demanding users (imho) appear to lean toward ubuntu, "Mint" may just roll off of the tongue more pleasantly for beginners figuring out how to say "ubuntu"!:D

Depends on first: what desktop environment you want to use. To be fair, Linux Lite is easier for beginners but you will only have XFCE as the desktop environment choice.

There should be a Linux Guide thread up soon.

The linux lite looks quite promising, and the XFCE environment appears brighter than the LXDE of our lubuntu. I may just download it myself as I'm still a beginner at heart!!:p

found https://www.codeweavers.com/ seems to be what i want i dunno tho
:) ..and I was just about to post my confidence that you'd be able to find something similar to k9's site protection for linux!;) :D

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
You might be able to run K9 on Wine but not sure as I never tried. An alternative is switch to opendns. Offers the same type of protection

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
The linux lite looks quite promising, and the XFCE environment appears brighter than the LXDE of our lubuntu. I may just download it myself as I'm still a beginner at heart!!:p

Linux lite aim was to be beginner friendly. They have install scripts for that reason. It's as light as lubuntu 14.04 on same hardware give or take. Still heavier than a debian based xfce or lxde desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.