Advice Request Switching to Ubuntu 14.10 from Windows 7?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
im thinking of going with linux as im sick of windows can you answer these questions

1. are drivers easy to find,install and update

2. can i play games like world of warcraft

3. how simple is it to find programs

4. can i use chrome on it and use extensions fro mthe chrome webstore

5. is it noob friendly

basically i just want my pc as it is now but without windows.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
the reason im looking a t codeweavers is cos i just wanna swap to linux but keep all the programs i run now like warcraft chrome etc

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
guess il try unbuntu then i do like its interface, linux mint looks to monochrome if u know what i mean

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
so is kubuntu just unbuntu but using a different type of desktop?
Yes.
also it contains KDE only packages.

I prefer it over Unity to be honest. Each user have their own choice.

If you want to use KDE, look at either Kubuntu or Linux Mint KDE version.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
whats difference between KDE and unity remember your speaking to a compelte linux begineer here so pelase try not to confuse me

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
please dnt suggest anymore types of linux seriously i ma beginner your not helping posting links to things i dnt understand the video of kubuntu looks good so i ldownlaod that il prolly buy crossover which is an offcial winehq thing

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
ok im torn between kunbuntu and zorin now as zori nlooks more noob friendly than kumbuntu

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
im leaning towards linux mint since people are saying its the most stable distro of linux

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
i cant choose a linux theres to many :( its either linux mint or zorin orlinux lite, i like linux mints interface,but i also like how zorin clones windows but on a linux system making it more familiar to noobs

i might try zorin as it is geared to noobs and has interface choices of windows7 xp 200 and mac os and even gnome2

I

illumination

i cant choose a linux theres to many :( its either linux mint or zorin orlinux lite, i like linux mints interface,but i also like how zorin clones windows but on a linux system making it more familiar to noobs

i might try zorin as it is geared to noobs and has interface choices of windows7 xp 200 and mac os and even gnome2
A suggestion if you will, to lesson the anxiety of beginning.. Try either Linux Mint or Ubuntu Unity as your first step into Linux. They are both designed for new users to Linux, being very user friendly, set up out of the box for you. Both are stable, matter of fact Linux mint is basically ubuntu, it is built on top of it, so either way, it is a good starting point.. If you need any help there are a few of us that are quite familiar with Linux that can help.. I can run just about any distro i want at this point, and still prefer ubuntu distros because of their stability..

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Linux Mint is probably one of the more stable distro. It comes in a variety of flavors and you can run it in VM to try it out. I'd be using it myself but I need google drive and docs. The sync for google drive doesn't work well just yet for Linux.

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
please dnt suggest anymore types of linux seriously

:D ...OVERLOAD!

This process will take sometime. Be patient and prepared for the learning curve. There is a lot of information to absorb while getting acquainted with Linux, and likewise for keeping up to date with distro developments.

The guys have really given some good advice in this thread, and from what I can tell, Inkurax is very knowledgeable in the area and is sharing good advice. So you have a pretty good starting point... When you do eventually find a flavor you like, that's when you will really start enjoying all that Linux has to offer ;)

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
im liking zorin heard good reviews of it, its basically linux but it looks like windows cos i dnt want a drastic move to ui i dnt know or command line crap i just want a distro that works out the box so i can go on the net and play warlords of draenor

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
im liking zorin heard good reviews of it, its basically linux but it looks like windows cos i dnt want a drastic move to ui i dnt know or command line crap i just want a distro that works out the box so i can go on the net and play warlords of draenor
You will need to learn some basic command line commands. For any Ubuntu or debian based the most used are: Sudo apt-get update and Sudo apt-get upgrade. Reason I said that is because some updates do not work on the software center or software manager update

Most distros for ubuntu only have one thing different: how they set the desktop look. Always look at a 14.04 based as it will give you 5 years support and updates.

Before jumping to linux will suggest and think someone already suggested that you try first in VirtualBox extensively before making a jump. I played with over two months on VirtualBox with an arch linux system before applying to hardware tho arch is not for beginners but illustrates what I'm trying to say. I was already comfortable with Debian and fedora/opensuse but still needed to test properly arch. There are a few of us here who would always be glad to help. I only game on Linux and that's eve online and world of warcraft. And I can tell you compared to windows I notice a big drop on performance and frames rate per second. Also on Linux specially for gaming you have to ensure you have your graphics card up to date but sometimes and often than not you have to use the open source version instead of official Nvidia for example due to cpu usage overheating etc. Also you have to sometimes update kernels to have fixes in place.

If you were to jump to linux just to browse and perhaps minimal usage then yeah would say go for it. But since you want it for gaming I think you should consider. Another example is the new ATI drivers are a pain to install on ubuntu based systems. I gave @illumination the video link so you can ask him for it as I'm on my phone right now.

Hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.