Advice Request Switching to Ubuntu 14.10 from Windows 7?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
im thinking of going with linux as im sick of windows can you answer these questions

1. are drivers easy to find,install and update

2. can i play games like world of warcraft

3. how simple is it to find programs

4. can i use chrome on it and use extensions fro mthe chrome webstore

5. is it noob friendly

basically i just want my pc as it is now but without windows.

I

illumination

I agree with the post above this completely.. First, learning basic command line commands is a must, but once you do it a couple times, it becomes quite simple. I have fallen into using command lines for everything now.. Secondly, the generic drivers for Linux do not give you the full performance of your hardware, although it will depend on your uses as to how this will effect you. I run a laptop with intel 15 and intel HD graphics, so the generic drivers worked great out of the box, although i do at times see some performance drops as opposed to when it had windows and the proprietary drivers.. So if i was to game, i would more then likely run windows before i would linux..

If you take this road of Linux, we can help you along it with any help you will need.. Im not as far into it as @Inkurax ,as far as messing with the harder distros such as arch, but i can get around quite well, and have no problems getting and finding software i need, as well as setting up a distro..

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
im just to confused aobut everything now about the different distros the type of thing they run be it kde or unity etc and worrying if my programs will work on linux and even then it might not even work i tried windows 8 and it gave me a BSOD while installing it :(

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
If i may i would like to air my opinion on this.I have been running linux mint for the past year and i have not encountered one single issue what so ever.I had previously been using windows and to be honest i was getting fed up of blue screens and non-booting computer etc.

I have no anti-virus installed what so ever and google chrome runs magnificently.My only regret is that i did not discover linux sooner and it would have saved me from all of the frustration i was feeling when using windows.

I am just your average home user and all the software i will ever need is installed on my laptop from the official repositries.I now can use my computer how i wish to use it and linux for me has brought the pleasure back into computing.

I strongly recommend linux mint.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
I'm wondering why nobody suggested trying several Linux distros in Live CD mode. It is easiest way to try Linux distro and then decide if you are going to another distro or you will install it on HDD.

First it is always good to know the whole computer configuration, then the list of programs that you want to use on Linux.

I have Dual Boot of Win7 and Linux Mint 17 Xfce as well аs couple of other Linux distros in VirtualBox. Browsers are not the problem, you can run Chrome or any other major browser the same way as you do it on Windows.

For blocking some websites I use Domain Blocker which comes preinstalled on Linux Mint or if you want it with host file (for more advanced users there are iptables (firewall saying it simply)). Installing GUFW as GUI front end for iptables will make it easier to use it.

There is no need for average user to know commands for Linux terminal in modern distros, everything is user friendly now. Updates goes through Update Manager and user can easily adjust time period for Updater notifications hourly, daily or weakly. Software is installed through Software Manager or Synaptic for Ubuntu/Debian like distros, for others it is similar but those distros use different prebuilt programs to do it, etc.

Linux Mint comes with I must say stupid wallpaper when you install it (gray one with black linux mint letters), but that can be easily changed. Ubuntu and its Unity desktop are heavier on PC hardware, Kubuntu and other KDE distros can be to. Xfce (Xubuntu, Linux Mint 17 Xfce) and LXDE (Lubuntu) desktop environments are easier on PC itself.

Everything is adjustable, themes, icons, wallpapers and such. For stronger PC configurations there are 3D animations built in desktop environment, and as I said everything can be adjusted to user preferences.

Last edited:

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
well my comp config is

psu: super flower golden green 550w
cpu: amd fx 6300
ram:8gb
hdd 500gb
ssd: crucial m4 128gb
current os: win 7 64bit
gpu: ati r7 260x
mb:asus m5a97 LE R2.0

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Since you use ati watch this should you move to linux as you will need it.

well my comp config is

psu: super flower golden green 550w
cpu: amd fx 6300
ram:8gb
hdd 500gb
ssd: crucial m4 128gb
current os: win 7 64bit
gpu: ati r7 260x
mb:asus m5a97 LE R2.0

Reactions: Vipersd

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Your configuration is good for every distro out there, you won't have any system requirements problem. Somebody already wrote Linux comes with generic drivers which are 99% time all that you need.

Only issue is the list of programs that you need to run on Linux, as it is said before you don't have to worry about browsers, for Office programs there is Open or Libre Office which reads MS Office documents.

Games are little trickier but not to much (using Wine HQ or PlayOnLinux), someone who plays games on Linux can give more information on that plus you have a tons of help on forums related for desired distro as well as tons of YouTube clips on that matter.

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
i blocked youtube on my internet using stayfocusd so i cant watch youtube videos

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
i blocked youtube on my internet using stayfocusd so i cant watch youtube videos
Ups, wrong video. Thats what happens when you are on the phone.

Correct video:

Guide:
Taken directly from its description
How to install latest AMD Omega Graphics drivers from AMD's website in Ubuntu. AMD now provide .deb package files for Ubuntu 32bit and 64bit, however it's still not an easy install.

Remove old drivers:
sudo apt-get remove fglrx
reboot

Install new drivers:
Download drivers from: http://support.amd.com
sudo apt-get install dkms
sudo dpkg f*.deb
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo amdconfig --initial
then reboot

Still recommended to watch, you can view it via live media as it has been mentioned

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
i got linux mint 17.1 on a bootable usb now im afraid to even use it incase my pc messes up

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You don't need to test a lot of Linux derivatives since they are just going on the same path concept with different kernel so highly suggest to pick from well known like Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
i got linux mint 17.1 on a bootable usb now im afraid to even use it incase my pc messes up
based on this, I strongly suggest you boot up windows 7, install virtualbox and then create a virtualmachine for Linux Mint 17.1
play with it before you decide you are going to install it on actual hardware.

last thing you want is messing up the partitions when doing the install and have your windows there. It can happen that the guided partition process can cause problems. Had that issues with Linux Mint 13 back then.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

No need to be discouraged, dragonx1983. Follow Inkurax's advice, and take Mint for a spin using Virtual Box before committing to installing it. When you feel a bit more comfortable, then you can do as Vipersd suggested, and test drive it on your system before installing, but you will enjoy trying it out comfortably first with the help of Virtual Box.
We all want to make the correct decisions without 'messing up', and this can feel overwhelming,:confused: so taking the choice you've already made for a test spin (a VM is like having an extra computer on your computer) & is where Virtual Box shines brightest without any risk, no harm, no fouls, and no worries!;) :):) Have fun, and enjoy it; and eventually you'll become as familiar as you are using Windows now. It shall come together for you. You'll see.:)

dragonmew

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
tbh i think i might stick with windows for now i feel comfortable with it i can always get a linux theme for windows and play it that way :3

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
any idea where i can get a linux theme cat :3
At the moment I'm not at my own computer, but a search might turn up something.
When you are ready, you'll like getting the feel and confidence a Virtual Machine will provide, that familiar sense running a live disc without installing may give you.
I'll look into themes when I log back on a bit later.;)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.