App Review Symantec Endpoint Protection 14 vs CXK-NMSL ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
To give SEP a bit of credit, note that the version of SEP run was the Unmanaged one (note that at 0:44 of the video the setting for "Symantec early launch anti-malware" is locked). The Managed version would have Admin Policies that can be utilized to prevent stuff like this (as long as the Administrator isn't a dope!).

But aside from this malware the Unmanaged version also leaves a bit to be desired against other scriptors, like VBS ransoms and Worms in general.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
To give SEP a bit of credit, note that the version of SEP run was the Unmanaged one (note that at 0:44 of the video the setting for "Symantec early launch anti-malware" is locked). The Managed version would have Admin Policies that can be utilized to prevent stuff like this (as long as the Administrator isn't a dope!).

But aside from this malware the Unmanaged version also leaves a bit to be desired against other scriptors, like VBS ransoms and Worms in general.
Still it's unfortunate that the default settings of most enterprise products don't have even decent protection against even basic scripts .
how will a small business without funding to hire an IT guy will be able to be protected?!

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Welcome back ,I think Cruel Sister

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
She will save us all by writing a program that uses satellites to zap the virus, or as the oranged -haired idiot ( not me) says, the invisible enemy.

I will come to CS's house and help her as long as she supplies the beer, I will help by opening ( and possibly drinking) the beer.:emoji_beer:o_O

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Hi Cruel Sister (hope you stick around!) So I have a unmanaged SEP on my main computer,I run Hitmanpro Alert with it,What do you or anyone else in the know recommend for its weakness you mention ( also leaves a bit to be desired against other scriptors, like VBS ransoms and Worms in general. ) Thank you

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Hi Cruel Sister (hope you stick around!) So I have a unmanaged SEP on my main computer,I run Hitmanpro Alert with it,What do you or anyone else in the know recommend for its weakness you mention ( also leaves a bit to be desired against other scriptors, like VBS ransoms and Worms in general. ) Thank you
Use hard configurator and get rid of sep unless you use its fire
wall as unmanaged is just crap .
no need for hitman pro alert etiher it wil only increase your attack surface !.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.