Do you use Symantec endpoint protection unmanaged in your main computer?

• Yes , covers my needs .

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • No ,Because of false postives .

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • No ,Becasue of poor performance

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • No, using other product .

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • No , high false negative rate in my testing/others.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No ,too little config options in unmanaged client GUI.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • My SEP Client is managed by SPEM/Cloud(SES).

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Total voters
Site of promotion
https://www.comss.ru/page.php?id=569
Event
  • Other type of event
  • Instructions
    Download unmanaged from the link below Symantec Endpoint Protection

Vitali Ortzi

Level 20
    Verified
    On home systems how does SEP compare to the top vendors home offerings i.e Norton 360, KIS, BD etc.
    Let's say it's stronger then any home product only downsides are performance in lastest versions (used to be as light as Norton but it's still light compared to some alternatives ) and false positives of both sonar bloodhound and even the auto protect signatures have lots of false positives but it won't matter to home users that doesn't download random stuff from github or use shady software

And yes I tried to configure it to reduce the false positives but never found any setting good enough for those who use shady software as an alternative for such users I would recommend Kaspersky free/ anti Ransomware but still it would detect some false positives but no where near Symantec level of false positives.

Last edited:

ZeroDay

Level 29
    Verified
    Malware Tester
    Let's say it's stronger then any home product only downsides are performance in lastest versions (used to be as light as Norton but it's still light compared to some alternatives ) and false positives of both sonar bloodhound and even the auto protect signatures have lots of false positives but it won't matter to home users that doesn't download random stuff from github or use shady software

And yes I tried to configure it to reduce the false positives but never found any setting good enough for those who use shady software as an alternative for such users I would recommend Kaspersky free/ anti Ransomware but still it would detect some false positives but no where near Symantec level of false positives.
    I was thinking of trying it on my Windows system. I do use github though. Kaspersky has been my go to for a while now. I think, once tweaked Kaspersky offers a great level of protection. home users seem to be happy with SEP on home dives on here though. I've setup and configured SEP more times than I can count within the enterprise. Its good to see home users enjoying it. I might check it out on my home Windows system. I'm running using a combination of Microsoft defender, CF and SRP + browser and app hardening at the moment which I'm happy with. However, I do have a tendency to go back to KIS after restoring an image. I might check this out on my system first though.

Thanks for the reply.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 20
    Verified
    The only thing I meant by git hub is that let's say you download/compile unknown executable to Symantec it might cause a false positive (annoyance) but comodo in a default deny Config like cruel sister settings would act even more aggressive then Symantec stock settings (both can be configerd to act as SRP )
    But if you're used to such a hardened setup false positives wouldn't be an issue for you XD

It's only in issue for people who download many shady or unknown code from shady piracy or modding to download new unpopular/ unknown code to Symantec

Personality for my gaming rig I use Kaspersky as it rarely caused me false positives using game mods and SEP with only network component managed by SPEM
    A good alternative for Kaspersky would be eset wich have even lower false positives but lower default protection as well

And other devices I run Symantec excluding a low end laptop that is currently running comodo firewall cruel sister settings (Symantec was too heavy )

Last edited: