Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
System Restore Point error code and it is not working
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
sfc/scannow

turn off Kaspersky free

Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy services, and both are running with startup type set default manual
I don't know what happened but for some reason System Restore Point is not working on my PC. I tried sfc/scannow, and its said nothing needs to repair. I also checked Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy services, and both are running with startup type set default manual. I also turned off Kaspersky protection as well. So far, no solution yet. I only used O&O Shutup10 to turned off Windows Automatic Updates.
Screenshot_5.png

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
In my experience, system restore is only good for a very short time period, if your going to make a minor to medium change to things it may serve you well but using it as a long term recovery solution is a mistake, make a backup with a sturdy backup soft to be confident. I use system restore for immediate recovery only.

Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I use system restore for immediate recovery only.

I used to think this same way. Over the last couple of years, however, I have been having more success with SR for some reason.

This is a strange problem OP is having. When I see corruption like this, I hope System Restore will work, too, but after that I usually reimage the system. I don't know why, but Windows seems to me to just go bonkers sometimes for reasons I can't explain fully or at least in the majority of the craziest episodes. These are the ones where things won't open or shortcuts are emptied of their functionality or like this one.

I wonder if the repair installation (non-destructive) is available for Windows 10 like with Windows 7. That option has worked for me several times with Windows 7. Here is a YouTube video:

You MUST be able to boot into Windows for this to work...

Upvote 0

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
What I can say about SR is that if I make a restore point before I install something and determine that I am dissatisfied with the outcome and immediately use the restore point, 99% of the time I am able to eliminate the issue but you have to use it as a change and then immediately unchange what you altered, it's not really a backup solution, more of a try and decide option ?

Reactions: JB007 and oldschool
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Seriously? you use System Restore as a rollback mechanism?!!! LOL , the tool is full crap, it is the first thing i disable after a clean install.

itwt

If it is free, I will take it.

Did you used Kavremover to remove Kaspersky?
What I can say about SR is that if I make a restore point before I install something and determine that I am dissatisfied with the outcome and immediately use the restore point, 99% of the time I am able to eliminate the issue but you have to use it as a change and then immediately unchange what you altered, it's not really a backup solution, more of a try and decide option ?
I used to think this same way. Over the last couple of years, however, I have been having more success with SR for some reason.

This is a strange problem OP is having. When I see corruption like this, I hope System Restore will work, too, but after that I usually reimage the system. I don't know why, but Windows seems to me to just go bonkers sometimes for reasons I can't explain fully or at least in the majority of the craziest episodes. These are the ones where things won't open or shortcuts are emptied of their functionality or like this one.

I wonder if the repair installation (non-destructive) is available for Windows 10 like with Windows 7. That option has worked for me several times with Windows 7. Here is a YouTube video:

You MUST be able to boot into Windows for this to work...

I don't know what causes System Restore Point error, but good thing is I have an external backup drive that is able to restore the PC back to the stage that the System Restore works again. I can confirmed Kaspersky Free doesn't interfered with the System Restore Point. I still don't know what causes this error.

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Did you used Kavremover to remove Kaspersky?

I don't know what happened but for some reason System Restore Point is not working on my PC. I tried sfc/scannow, and its said nothing needs to repair. I also checked Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider and Volume Shadow Copy services, and both are running with startup type set default manual. I also turned off Kaspersky protection as well. So far, no solution yet. I only used O&O Shutup10 to turned off Windows Automatic Updates.View attachment 196409
Hello @SumTingWong
I had the same problem 2 years ago and you can find the solution here: Problem - Error 0x81000203;) , with special thanks to @Xtwillight and @Evjl's Rain who both help me very much(y):) Oups and also @askmark for his very important post #145(y):)
and as pointed by @Azure Phoenix , KavRemover and/or Kaspersky are at the origine of this problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
Macrium is free too. I had a problem back a few years ago when I used O&O Shutup 10. I had an image so was ok.
Macrium Reflect is great suggestion.

My personal experience with Macrium has been flawless. I've never ran into a real issue with it. It's always performed exactly as it should whenever I've used it.

Reactions: JB007
Upvote 0
L

Local Host

Hello @SumTingWong
I had the same problem 2 years ago and you can find the solution here: Problem - Error 0x81000203;) , with special thanks to @Xtwillight and @Evjl's Rain who both help me very much(y):) Oups and also @askmark for his very important post #145(y):)
and as pointed by @Azure Phoenix , KavRemover and/or Kaspersky are at the origine of this problem.
No offense but that topic has 10 pages, a direct answer to the problem would be more useful.
Specially since I have a laptop with the same problem (only noticed it 10 min. ago when I was messing with system settings).
Here's a fix OP, Robert Cathles: Kaspersky Removal Tool Bug

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
No offense but that topic has 10 pages, a direct answer to the problem would be more useful.
Specially since I have a laptop with the same problem (only noticed it 10 min. ago when I was messing with system settings).
Here's a fix OP, Robert Cathles: Kaspersky Removal Tool Bug
Hello @Local Host
With great respect, did "Robert Cathles" fix work ?:unsure:
Yes 10 pages to find the solution is why I thank you very, very, very much all MT' users who helped me for their great patience(y):)
@Xtwillight , @Evjl's Rain , @askmark , @DardiM :emoji_clap:(y):)
If that could help you, the most important posts are : #109 , #116 , #117 , #118 , #119 , #127 , #145
Have a good day ! ;)

Upvote 0

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Hello @Local Host
Yes 10 pages to find the solution is why I thank you very, very, very much all MT' users who helped me for their great patience(y):)
If that could help you, the most important posts are : #109 , #116 , #117 , #118 , #119 , #127 , #145
Have a good day ! ;)
I can confirm it does works.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

Hello @Local Host
Have a good day ! ;)
It works perfectly as he took the time to investigate and see what values Kaspersky Removal Tool actually changed.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
It works perfectly as he took the time to investigate and see what values Kaspersky Removal Tool actually changed.

I don't remember if I did run the Kaspersky Removal Tool that causes my restore point to be hiccup, but I will mark that link for future references.

Anyway, I managed to restore my PC from the working stage and now the problem is solved.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.