cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Tencent is really into many things. They were at the start primarily an IM client developer (they actually set a world record last year for IM client with like 210 million simultaneous users). They have branched out into the Enterprise space with Corporate IM and secure email. Branching out from this they got into streaming video (they have the contract to stream HBO in china) and music (another contract with Warner Bros.).

Recently they expanded into on line healthcare with investments in DXY, E-commerce with a joint venture with Wanda and Baidu, and as this wasn't enough they just started (December) China's second privately owned bank.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The product of Tencent is always around the corner even before and gradually perform good based on independent test organization for their AV since it gradual helps of licensing Avira engine for signatures.

Reactions: tiktoshi
D

Deleted member 21043

It's a chinese company? Thanks for that @yigido. :) Allowed me to say the following...

Has anyone noticed that most of these "Chinese" companies all have a similar UI...? That window style with the menu buttons and that blue header... The WinForms controls... Maybe I'm wrong and it's just a few companies but Qihoo, Tencent, Baidu... But it seems like most/all of them have it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
It's a chinese company? Thanks for that @yigido. :) Allowed me to say the following...

Has anyone noticed that most of these "Chinese" companies all have a similar UI...? That window style with the X buttons and that blue header. Maybe I'm wrong and it's just a few companies but Qihoo, Tencent, Baidu... But it seems like most/all of them have it.

Agree. All looks kind of same. Looking into the UI you can tell it's from China.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
  1. Tencent cloud engine
  2. Tencent antivirus engine
  3. Avira antivirus engine
  4. Tencent System repair engine

TENCENT PC MANAGER 10_20-01-2015_17-58-24.jpg

TENCENT PC MANAGER 10_20-01-2015_17-59-01.jpg

TENCENT PC MANAGER 10_20-01-2015_17-59-10.jpg

TENCENT PC MANAGER 10_20-01-2015_18-20-39.jpg

TENCENT PC MANAGER 10_20-01-2015_18-21-02.jpg

TENCENT PC MANAGER 10_20-01-2015_18-22-06.jpg

TENCENT PC MANAGER 10 SETTINGS_20-01-2015_18-23-04.jpg

TENCENT PC MANAGER 10 SETTINGS_20-01-2015_18-23-10.jpg

TENCENT PC MANAGER 10 SETTINGS_20-01-2015_18-23-19.jpg

TENCENT PC MANAGER 10 SETTINGS_20-01-2015_18-23-26.jpg

TENCENT PC MANAGER 10 SETTINGS_20-01-2015_18-23-42.jpg
Mod Note : Use spoilers when posting a lot of images/screenshots

Y

yigido

Has anyone noticed that most of these "Chinese" companies all have a similar UI...? That window style with the menu buttons and that blue header... The WinForms controls... Maybe I'm wrong and it's just a few companies but Qihoo, Tencent, Baidu... But it seems like most/all of them have it.
PSafe also has the similar UI, it has an UI like Qihoo ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I can not download it , do you know another link?. Thanks
hxxp://dlied6.qq.com/invc/xfspeed/qqpcmgr/evaluating_ver/PCMgr_Setup_10_4_25377_501.exe

Try again, seems only one main download server is available on their website. ;)

Anyways I'm not really sure why there UI are almost close to each other, I think might these AV companies may have a coinage something to represent their own standard UI as group? Since very way par on other major AV UI comparison that considered to be unique. ;)

S

Sr. Normal

hxxp://dlied6.qq.com/invc/xfspeed/qqpcmgr/evaluating_ver/PCMgr_Setup_10_4_25377_501.exe

Try again, seems only one main download server is available on their website. ;)

Thanks, You've been very kind . It works perfectly . I send a catch that will surely be of your interest

Reminds me of the old Qihoo , when not brought cleaner and optimizer ... when he was just a AV .
The scan has been very fast and did not find FP , which makes me happy.

I will work it in Virus Exchange so that we can compare their detection with other AV celebrity

upload_2015-1-21_6-58-27.png

upload_2015-1-21_7-0-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-21_6-54-2.png
    upload_2015-1-21_6-54-2.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 504
  • upload_2015-1-21_6-57-49.png
    upload_2015-1-21_6-57-49.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 474

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Thanks, You've been very kind . It works perfectly . I send a catch that will surely be of your interest

Reminds me of the old Qihoo , when not brought cleaner and optimizer ... when he was just a AV .
The scan has been very fast and did not find FP , which makes me happy.

I will work it in Virus Exchange so that we can compare their detection with other AV celebrity

View attachment 42898

View attachment 42899

Uhhm you do realize that VT will distribute undetected malware to its partners? And given the fact that Tencent uses a Avira engine it will be very likely that virus detections will match those of many others on the VT list. So using VT as a guide to see if detections are unique are highly flawed.

Reactions: Sr. Normal
S

Sr. Normal

Uhhm you do realize that VT will distribute undetected malware to its partners? And given the fact that Tencent uses a Avira engine it will be very likely that virus detections will match those of many others on the VT list. So using VT as a guide to see if detections are unique are highly flawed.

Thanks. No, did not know that fact , I like to try antivirus , see the scan times , false positives ... I think it's a good idea to have the most information .

I do not understand policy VT or other , I am more ... simple? ...

I do not know where when tested samples where are obtained them , but of course , that the more sources better for all

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Thanks. No, did not know that fact , I like to try antivirus , see the scan times , false positives ... I think it's a good idea to have the most information .

I do not understand policy VT or other , I am more ... simple? ...

I do not know where when tested samples where are obtained them , but of course , that the more sources better for all
https://www.virustotal.com/en/about/

BAD IDEA: VirusTotal for antivirus/URL scannertesting
At VirusTotal we are tired of repeating that the service was not designed as a tool to perform antivirus comparative analyses, but as a tool that checks suspicious samples with several antivirus solutions and helps antivirus labs by forwarding them the malware they fail to detect. Those who use VirusTotal to perform antivirus comparative analyses should know that they are making many implicit errors in their methodology, the most obvious being:

• VirusTotal's antivirus engines are commandline versions, so depending on the product, they will not behave exactly the same as the desktop versions: for instance, desktop solutions may use techniques based on behavioural analysis and count with personal firewalls that may decrease entry points and mitigate propagation, etc.
  • In VirusTotal desktop-oriented solutions coexist with perimeter-oriented solutions; heuristics in this latter group may be more aggressive and paranoid, since the impact of false positives is less visible in the perimeter. It is simply not fair to compare both groups.
  • Some of the solutions included in VirusTotal are parametrized (in coherence with the developer company's desire) with a different heuristic/agressiveness level than the official end-user default configuration.
These are just three examples illustrating why using VirusTotal for antivirus testing is a bad idea.

Cheers

Reactions: Rolo and Sr. Normal

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.