Advice Request That One Privacy Guy is a sell out

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
I think many people who are looking for a VPN service know this guy and his website thatoneprivacysite.net
It inspired me to make my own guide for MalwareTips and publish some VPN reviews.

But, today I found that he got redirect to another domain, which is affiliate website with antivirus and password managers.

The whole idea was that all the reviews are unpaid and honest. It was a good site, even thought many reviews are outdated by now and table with comparison is not getting update. The rating system was great too.

I find it disgusting for several things:

1. He was always against affiliates.
2. He is lying that the cost of maintaining website is too expensive. He got static website and it does not require much resources, if you know how to optimize it.
3. The new ownership is shady.

Well, I guess everything has a price in this world...

Last edited:

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Directed by Robert B. Weide

2020-11-05_22PEX.png

Aaaand it's gone.
2020-11-05_22PEA.png

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
As far as reviews go, his comparison was certainly not the worst. Though i had always been a little biased towards anything he wrote, but that was more because i followed a series of discussions he had with the people from AirVPN back in 2016 or was it 2017 on their own forum. Anywho when they could not legally or ethically provide an answer he liked (again at the time). He tried to change the subject a couple of times just to get back at the same answers and market them as an ethically "shady" business.

I don't really care for opinions and feedback in general that much as long as it's constructively thought out, written and backed with facts and figures for example. As long as it's done right and your own opinion is not clouding your judgement and results, that is what i care about.

One of the discussions i could still find in a quick search. I will edit it if i can still find the others.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Prior to thatoneprivacysite.net redirecting to 10 Best VPN Services (2021): Trust, Features + Speed [Top Picks] I felt that the vpn comparisons published by him was one of the best resources to actually start comparing VPN services. I used the information I found there as a basis to go elsewhere and make my own conclusions. The 'safetydetectives' website highly resembles many of the other so-called VPN comparison websites and I wouldn't take the 'advice' there at face value.

Does anyone here know of an online resource which provides a similar in depth comparison to his spreadsheets?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.