Battle The best combo for offline and online activity?

Compare list
combo safety products free or paid no matter
In-depth Comparison

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
You say you need:
  • Usability
  • Performance and System Impact
  • Computer protection (Antivirus engine, Heuristic engine)
  • Internet protection (Web Guard, Anti-Phishing, Antispam, Browser extension)
  • Proactive protection (Behavior blocker, HIPS, Sandbox)
  • Network protection (Firewall, Botnet protection)
  • Ransomware protection
  • Banking & Payments protection
The one which offers the most similar software to what you ask is ESET Internet Security. Including:
  1. Ease of use and configure
  2. Extreme lightness
  3. Fast and strong signatures
  4. PUP protection/phishing protection
  5. HIPS
  6. Firewall with network and botnet protection
  7. Ransomware detection and protection
  8. Banking and payment protection with secure browser
  9. Anti-Spam

Sadly it doesn't offer a sandbox.

Another good choices would be: Kaspersky Internet Security, BitDefender Total Security.

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
It all depends on which user you are, if you are advanced, here in MT, there are very strong configurations such as H_C, or Comodo Firewall with CS settings, ect ect. But to make it easy since you don't mind spending money, my choice would be Kaspersky Internet Security has everything you're looking for.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

There are many great options options to choose from. Personally overall the vast majority of AVs now a days are pretty capable. You already got 2 great mentions in Eset and Kaspersky, but Norton, Bitdefender, etc.. are all excellent as well. Personally I would take advantage of the trial periods to see which one you like most and go from there.

Now another thing to consider is that you mentioned you are already using WD. Is it causing you any issues, or are there things you don't like? WD has improved quite a bit on the protection side of things. It has become very capable and can play with the top guns now. If your happy with WD my suggestion would be to stick with that. Depending on your skill level and if your willing to learn, you can tweak it with configure defender to increase its capabilities further. Furthermore you can supplement it with something like OSA, Syshardener, VS, CF,Hard configurator, etc... and you would have a very strong setup. It really depends on what your most comfortable with, but I would look and try all options to see what you like most.

One thing to note is that be wary of all the "features" on security suites some of which I wouldn't stress over too much about. For example I really wouldn't worry about anti spam, botnet protection that kind if thing. Those are just fancy marketing gimmicks that make you feel like you need it.

Lastly remember that no security program or setup can guarantee 100% protection all the time.your online habits will really he the true indicator of you are secure or not. There will be things out of your control, but more often than not practicing safe computing habits will go a lot further than putting all your faith in a security program/setup.:)(y)

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
no, I'm not advanced user that's why i want the best choice of combo to fully protect me. about browsers and extensions, what are your suggestions?
If I had to set up a PC for a new or medium user, say a family member, that browsed frequentely and used internet for payments and banking too, I would use the following setup:
|Adguard (enable ads and tracking protection)
|HTTPS Everywhere
|Canvas Defender
|Windows Defender Browser Protection
And of course, a penguin wallpaper for the desktop.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
You need to understand that no security software will give you 100% protection. But there are steps you can take to significantly reduce the risk of getting infected.

Keep your system updated with Windows Update. Keep vulnerable software such as browsers updated (your browser should do this itself).

The most common way to get is infected, is by manually opening infected files, rather than just by visiting compromised websites. As a result of this, you should always be very careful about what files you open. Never open email attachments unless they are from emails you were specifically expecting. Only download installers from the software's own website, or a trusted site such as Softpedia. If any website wants you do download software, do not do so unless you are sure you need the software. Don't open executable files from flash drives, unless you are sure they are safe.

If you every have any doubts about an exe file. Scan it a VirusTotal, to see if it is safe, before opening it. No security software will detect all threats and it is possible they your antivirus could not detect an infected file.
One problem with VirusTotal, is that sometimes safe files will get wrongly detected as malicious, by some antiviruses. But if you are unsure about the VT results, you could for example, post the VirusTotal link here and get other people's opinion on if they think the files is actually infected or not.

Just by doing the above steps, it will be very hard to get infected, no matter what security software you use. It's much more important to take basic steps to protect yourself, than obsessing about having the absolute best security software.

Also, it's very important to keep regular backups up your system. That way if you your system does get infected and data gets encrypted or deleted, you will have recent backups to restore from. Aside from that, having a full backup of your system, lets you easily restore your system to a working state with all your apps and data, if your hard drive or SSD fails and you need to replace it.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You mentioned browser, have you considered the new chromium Edge? It is, for some, a really good move. Here's the thread if you want to give it a quick read. The download link to try it is in the first post. For me, it's a fast, clean and stable browser, outdoing Firefox Quantum. Resource use is very low, that includes RAM. If you enable it in Settings, you can get extensions like adblockers from places other than Microsoft Store. Only thing: it's Bing search.

Right now: very little extension use in Edge.dev. Nano Adblocker and TrackOFF. Tracking prevention is "strict." Maybe I'll add some more stuff later. Give it a try, see what you think. You'll be in lots of good company. (y)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You do not need a Full combo of Security Software to be safe online.

Allow apps and OS to be updated from their build-in updater or trusted sources

The default Windows Defender Antivirus is plentiful and self-maintaining. If you want to use another Antivirus, make sure to maintain it yourself ie. license is valid, no disabled features etc.

On-demand malware scanners can be used monthly to check your PC is still malware/Adware-free. These do not run in real-time nor have background services, and are generally free to use.

The biggest prime suspect to getting infected is your Web Browser. Get yourself any of the following extensions;
  • Content Blocker (Ads, Tracking, Mining Protection)
  • Phishing Protection
  • Malicious Site Blocking
The rest is up to your Internet knowledge.

You can see what other member use here: Computer Security Configuration

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.