Advice Request The most free compatible Office Suite with MS

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Just my opinion but I've used Softmaker Office for years, there is a free version & they are running beta 2021 at the moment, IMHO if you don't need Outlook it's as good as & very compatible with MS Office - And has as a special feature you can uninstall it easily & reinstall in minutes, none of these are possibly with MS office :):):)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
For my mother I use Softmaker FreeOffice and as Outlook replacement the built-in Windows Mail app without any compatibility problems.
But she doesn't do anything advanced on her computer.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Reactions: Cortex

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
So between Libreoffice, WPS, and Softmaker the most compatible is last one? PLs take in mind i would avoid things like microsoft office online.
Yes.
LibreOffice will be the least compatible one (at least from my experience).

The begin no sound good... Softmaker 2018 xD
Naming convention shouldn't be the issue if it does its job right?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I just tried Softmaker as I was having some compatibility issue with LibreOffice but Softmaker messed up documents written in my own language. It's detecting the font alright but don't know why still can't render them. Tried the 2018 and the upcoming beta version both but same result.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
My experience is that both softmaker and WPS are very much compatible with MS Office but they some times have problems with some particular documents.
Its better to have both of them installed and use the one that you are comfortable with. And if some document doesn't open properly in the one that you are using then open it in the other application and save it in ODF format and again open it in the first application . This may solve the problem.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Another vote for Softmaker FreeOffice. I only use the word processor and on rare occasion Presentations. So far through the years I've used it, no problem sharing documents with those who have MS Office. I've thought about giving WPS a try, just for curiosity. Maybe some day.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Yes.
LibreOffice will be the least compatible one (at least from my experience).

Naming convention shouldn't be the issue if it does its job right?
U are true, but still no understand why programs should get years in name, if them no get update yearly. Had more sense to call just softmaker office.

Reactions: Cortex and enaph

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Where will you store the documents?

If you have already connected your Microsoft account, you can sync the files up the cloud and view them on the new Office app for Android and iOS. This may be a good way to test your Office-alternative documents' compatibility with existing Office apps, and vice-versa, all without a subscription.

Source: The new Office app now generally available for Android and iOS
The Office app delivers several key benefits including:
  • Combining Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in a way that simplifies the experience with fewer apps to download or switch between. It requires far less phone storage than installing individual apps while maintaining virtually all the capabilities of the existing mobile apps people already know and use.
  • Integrating our Lens technology to unlock the power of the camera with capabilities like converting images into editable Word and Excel documents, scanning PDFs, and capturing whiteboards with automatic digital enhancements to make the content easier to read.
  • Adding new functionality for common tasks people often encounter when working on a phone—things like making quick notes, signing PDFs, scanning QR codes, and transferring files between devices.
Altogether, the Office app is a powerful tool that is intuitive and familiar yet still uniquely different.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
Where will you store the documents?

If you have already connected your Microsoft account, you can sync the files up the cloud and view them on the new Office app for Android and iOS. This may be a good way to test your Office-alternative documents' compatibility with existing Office apps, and vice-versa, all without a subscription.

Source: The new Office app now generally available for Android and iOS
The Office app delivers several key benefits including:
  • Combining Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in a way that simplifies the experience with fewer apps to download or switch between. It requires far less phone storage than installing individual apps while maintaining virtually all the capabilities of the existing mobile apps people already know and use.
  • Integrating our Lens technology to unlock the power of the camera with capabilities like converting images into editable Word and Excel documents, scanning PDFs, and capturing whiteboards with automatic digital enhancements to make the content easier to read.
  • Adding new functionality for common tasks people often encounter when working on a phone—things like making quick notes, signing PDFs, scanning QR codes, and transferring files between devices.
Altogether, the Office app is a powerful tool that is intuitive and familiar yet still uniquely different.
To much complex. I just use pc. Was looking for the most compatibility for dont break presentations and other documents.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.