New Update The new cloud-based McAfee

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
McAfee Internet Security is one of the antiviruses I've got installed on my test PC. I had seen the new UI, after updating a few weeks ago, but didn't realise it was a major change, as for some reason, McAfee regularly change the look of their products. So every now, I then I boot from my McAfee partition, check for updates and see if they've changed the UI again. One obvious difference I noticed, was that it had context menu scanning again. This was something that was removed in the previous update. I like the new look, but I don't like that as before, there is very little that you can configure.
One thing I have noticed with cloud antivirus, is that they are extremely light on the system. I couldn't believe what I experienced with Kasperskys security cloud. So I look forward to Shadowras test. I just saw that there is a free version of Kaspersys antivirus. It's amazing you can get a free version now. Great options for people that want a free antivirus that is really good.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Kaspersky Security Cloud was just a" marketing name" strategy at that moment, because all the products of that generation and, of course, the current one still have the same tech that combines offline + online cloud protection... so Kaspersky never had actually an "only based cloud product" in the market :)

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Kaspersky Security Cloud was just a" marketing name" strategy at that moment, because all the products of that generation and, of course, the current one still have the same tech that combines offline + online cloud protection... so Kaspersky never had actually an "only based cloud product" in the market :)
I think Kaspersky have been a little too far out with their marketing games. I don't want to use time on it, but they should have a blistering letter where they were told they try to scam people. The link say "FREE antivrus, and when you try to set it up, you find out it's Internet security! They should have a virtual kick in their big a..! Oh well. Thank god I have ESET to fall back on, but I think they cheat.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
There are benefits and downsides to that cloud protection. Benefit is detections will be added instantly, without any delay. Performance will be improved. Downside is almost no protection, apart from limited behavioural blocking will be available when there is no connection. To many this probably won’t be a problem. With definitions anyway, if there is no connection, they will be rendered out of date.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I think Kaspersky have been a little too far out with their marketing games. I don't want to use time on it, but they should have a blistering letter where they were told they try to scam people. The link say "FREE antivrus, and when you try to set it up, you find out it's Internet security! They should have a virtual kick in their big a..! Oh well. Thank god I have ESET to fall back on, but I think they cheat.
It is known that Kaspersky Free is not available for all the country regions.

Anyway the 1st step to check if available in Your country is to check K. official site for Your country, some examples to get KFree:

ESP: Descarga de antivirus en la nube gratuito de Kaspersky | Kaspersky

USA: Download Kaspersky Free Antivirus Software | Kaspersky

UK: Kaspersky Free Cloud Antivirus Download | Kaspersky

ITA: Software anti-virus gratuito per tutti i dispositivi | Kaspersky

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
It is known that Kaspersky Free is not available for all the country regions.

Anyway the 1st step to check if available in Your country is to check K. official site for Your country, some examples to get KFree:

ESP: Descarga de antivirus en la nube gratuito de Kaspersky | Kaspersky

USA: Download Kaspersky Free Antivirus Software | Kaspersky

UK: Kaspersky Free Cloud Antivirus Download | Kaspersky

ITA: Software anti-virus gratuito per tutti i dispositivi | Kaspersky
It seems Kaspersky really tries to hide it's "free version" on their website. You actually have to search for it on the search engine i cannot find it anywhere on Kaspersky's official site. It's like they really dont want people to know about it.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Just to inform, already existing users (subscription for free) of Kaspersky Free can also downloading it from your "My Kaspersky" user account:

MyK.png

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It seems Kaspersky really tries to hide it's "free version" on their website. You actually have to search for it on the search engine i cannot find it anywhere on Kaspersky's official site. It's like they really dont want people to know about it.
I went to the U.S. site and couldn't find it so you are correct. A web search for "download Kaspersky ... " brought it right up.

Trident

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I have to admit that K. has recently been hiding the existence of Kaspersky Free more and more, on the other hand I don't blame them for it, whoever wants something, costs something...
Very true and I’ve said it many times on many threads here. For them to stay on top of their game and users to get top quality engines and features, it costs money. So it’s fair that users will be expected to pay their dues and even the paid version is not expensive at all.

jtshadow92

Level 2
Verified
Jul 17, 2015
@Trident
how can we test the new installer.when I download it from the official site it downloads old versions.

View attachment 281910

View attachment 281911
I used to work at Staples. They use McAfee as their product to protect their customers with their VirusShield program. When we freshly installed McAfee, it was the old version. It takes usually a couple days to be updated to the cloud version. Not sure why it doesn't install the cloud version right off the bat, but hey, it's McAfee lol.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
Just tested this out i actually like it better than AVG the checking for updates are much faster now. The UI now opens much faster I don't know what it is about McAfee but my system just feels faster with it installed. Mcafee basically addressed many issues i had with it before they turned to the cloud. The cleanup tool no longer deletes registry files and focuses on more junk files. A thank you to Trident for allowing me to test it!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.