The Worst AV You've Ever Used?

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Back in the days AVG was the one making my PC sluggish.
Right after AVG was Avira - my PC was really unusable during the scan and I had to manually force the updates in its free version.

BearHug

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 9, 2017
Back in the days, McAfee was the worst for me, due to its high RAM/CPU usage, sluggish interface, Internet Explorer addon was also a trouble, their "please buy more" pop-ups and of course the nightmare malware removal/uninstallation process.. Never again. Currently happy as a long-time Comodo user :)

p.s : But I was truly in love with Avast! version 4, with its gory alert sound. :)
McAfee is still worst! I currently owns a d licence for it but I don't use it!

SaeedLohana

Level 2
Verified
May 28, 2017
I am unable to remember whether it was AVG or Norton, but Norton used to do nothing, so it must be AVG when I was kid, it deleted my every software with .exe extension which weren't virus, we didn't use to have internet that common these days (if available, only dialup), we had to use cds to get programs, if my friends had one, I used to save and return them.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
if you look in the malware samples of @harlan4096 's tests, you can find it to be the best of all.
maybe only Symantec's Endpoint solution did better/similar to Kaspersky when it was being tested by an other user. Too bad Symantec Endpoint and Norton is being developed by two different groups even though they're technically the same company.
Lots of other avs arent tested... also he uses 2018 version?

Reactions: ravi prakash saini

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Has anyone heard about Virusbuster?
Hands-down worst AV ever. It was my first AV I ever used, about 8 years ago on my XP pc. I wasn't into PC then, so my brother installed Avast 4.0 on it and it removed a tonne of malware from it.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
2017 is the same/similar to 2018 in terms of modules. maybe a bit less resource hogging.
sure there aren't, but name one significant one that is better on paper than Kaspersky.
On paper yes. But in real life? It isnt suited for me.
And i think they dont focus on the netherlands?

Eset and Avira seems to be the best suited for malware attacking the netherlands.

Reactions: AtlBo

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
What else Windows Defender is the worst AV in recent time which defends next to nothing in Web Threats and its PUP protection is disabled by default :D There may be worse AV than WD but none of them were famous.

Reactions: frogboy

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
Probably my worse is shockingly ESET. It was a giant resource hog, ever since the incident been sticking with Avast. Iobit and Mcaffe are pretty up their though...
I disagree. ESET was the best during 2009-2012. Smooth and great protection. Only signatures are not that strong these days.Still not a resource hog compared to AVG/Avira.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
No bad ones so far. AVG basically used all the resources of the computer back around 2002, but doesn't seem fair to compare that far back. PCs were slow. Only have used Avast starting with v4 and Qihoo 360 on various PCs.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.