The Worst AV You've Ever Used?

F

ForgottenSeer 65219

I know many people love bitdefender but in my opinion ( as test it from 2009 version till now ) win the buggiest product crown.

Reactions: mlnevese

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I know many people love bitdefender but in my opinion ( as test it from 2009 version till now ) win the buggiest product crown.

I would love to use Bitdefender. It's quite cheaper than Kaspersky in my country and its automatic mode would be ideal for my kid's computer. But every time I tried it in these last few years it was buggy and either slowed down the computer I installed it or just crashed. Next year when my current Kaspersky license is close to ending I'll test it once more.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I would love to use Bitdefender. It's quite cheaper than Kaspersky in my country and its automatic mode would be ideal for my kid's computer. But every time I tried it in these last few years it was buggy and either slowed down the computer I installed it or just crashed. Next year when my current Kaspersky license is close to ending I'll test it once more.
What about UAC and Windows Defender?

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Maybe you can try BD free, everything is at default and no play with settings, same protection as the paid one.

Free Antivirus Software - Download Bitdefender Antivirus Free

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Well, the one that I have not been able to have more than a week has been, Bitdefender, I speak of old versions, but I do not dare to try more. But it's not bad definitions of signatures have always been good.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 65219

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Windows Defender will always be the top choice for me. An unreasonable high CPU/HDD usage, even when computer is idle, plus other bugs.
Though AVG comes close with its ~15 services running dragging computer down. Avira desperately tries to fit into 21st century, but fails miserably.

Reactions: Evjl's Rain

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Any pseudo Antivirus product that isn't officially recognised as one, or is obvious that it isn't one. Like any IObit BS.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have a list. Those are still valid for the recent version. I ignored old softwares which are fixed:
- adaware: stupid software, no trial for pro version, free doesn't have BB
- panda: froze your PC for 20 seconds for analysis, super slow scanning speed, low detection rate, poor BB
- Windows defender, any version: HDD destroyer, high disk usage with my everyday tasks, no caching mechanism, updates slowed down the machine with high disk usage. True HDD/SSD degrading software. I have been testing WD for quite enough time on a VM and on my main laptop so I don't make up the story or quote other comments
- ClamAV: slow scanning speed with many FPs but low detection rate
- McAfee: made my PC like a low-end PC
- Norton: buggy, buggy, buggy. Couldn't delete a file, which I could simply press delete. Non-existent USB protection although they claimed it had. Malware could be detected by context scan but bypassed and infected my PC as soon as I plugged the flash drive in. slow scanning speed, heavily depends on cloud signatures. Poor offline signatures
- VIPRE: really heavy, don't know if still heavy or not
- CMC: simply crap

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
- panda: froze your PC for 20 seconds for analysis, super slow scanning speed, low detection rate, poor BB
Yeah that one caused constant drops on my mom's laptop, she used to call me every few minutes, that there is no internet. :mad:
But I have just tested it and it is really the lightest AV out there ATM, I will give another chance, I set blocking to 10 seconds and see.

Attachments

• capture_08192017_213909.jpg
    capture_08192017_213909.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 435

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
AVG free and Bullguard, both were useless for me, the first one was like 0 protection and the second one heavy and buggy and not quite impressive.

Reactions: Kingmann

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Norton 2003, it was heavy for my machine, in place used zone alarm that was good, because XP does not have firewall, then came Avast, AVG, Comodo... and in the last 5 years, ESET, Avast, Kaspersky... I haven't spent much time with certain antivirus, I'm always swapping, always has offers

jazzmaster

Level 1
Verified
Aug 20, 2017
iobit malware fighter & ClamAV.
I didn't like ClamAV, slow scanning and I got malware infection 7 years ago and make my HDD lost all file. :(
for iobit I don't trust it anymore, cause two of their product (trial version) make me reinstall my windows years ago. :mad:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.