roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
F

ForgottenSeer 67480

Avast is one of worst antiviruses ever, because he have heavy usage on CPU due scanning + he's a spyware. Same thing i can say to AVG what works with Avast. Bitdefender is a lot more worst because of his worst performance ever and very high usage on CPU & RAM, he almost killed my PC by attempt to eat 6.5GB RAM. Comodo... Well, it could be better if performance would be a bit improved and less annoying in aggresive mode. ClamWin/AV... Stay away from this AV. Dr Web also have a problem with performance and with false-positives alerts. ESET maybe is light, but he is glitchy from time to time and he stopping you from removing him acting as a Rogueware or Crapware. I had this situation few times already and i almost not reinstalled my system because of this. Kaspersky... Well, he could be better if performance would be a bit improved. Webroot…? Well, i never used this Antivirus, but i can say he's another worst AV ever because of heavy performance problems. Windows Defender is useless because he can't even protect you on Windows 10 so good. That's my list of worst antiviruses.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Net Protector Total Security.
It has some of the worst detection rates I've ever seen.
I remember some of my friends and relatives use NP and when I asked, they would say that their repair engineer recommended it for their system. This had been a trend among the computer repair (sw/hw) engineers at least in my city Mumbai. NP, Avast, QuickHeal.
Years ago, NetProtector used the free DOS based McAfee scanner inside their commercial NPAV scanner illegitimately, then they got their hands on the Bitdefender engine. They had a small team work behind developing an engine of their own.
In the process, they also allegedly used QuickHeal under the table and finally switched to open-source ClamAV. I am not sure what they are up to right now.
This firm has a minimal experience and investment in R&D... It looks like a businessman ventured into this field just out of curiosity and having some manpower to somehow get things done.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
For me I think Iobit have been one of the worst. Best has been Kaspersky. This was in 2005. I downloaded a lot of MP3 files with Frost wire, and I didn't understand why I kept being infected.
Then I started to use Kaspersky, and it busted each and every one of the trojans that was in a lot of the MP3 files. So then I knew, no more Frostwire. Also PrevX was really good.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
iobit products are garbage packed with adware and scareware
I hope a lot of people read this. I see their products on friends devices, they've asked me to look at a scan result that claimed this or that. Its important that people realise the result can be aimed at them installing more iObit products, rather than cleaning an infection on their machine. I get the friends to test the claimed infected file on VT or Jottis to reassure them that they've been conned a FP. The driver scan utility seems to like finding older drivers than already installed and compatible ones.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The driver scan utility seems to like finding older drivers than already installed and compatible ones.
I've been using Driver Booster since it was first released. In my experience using it on at least tens of computers, the only time it will find an older driver, is if the driver already installed is a generic Microsoft one and the new driver is the proper OEM one. Sometimes the generic drivers are newer, but it is better to use the OEM ones. In my experience, Driver Booster is one of the best driver updaters there is. I have found that some other driver updates will on occasion, want to replace an OEM driver with an older OEM one, because the older driver has a higher version number. I don't think I've ever seen Driver Booster do that.

I don't think I've seen even a single false positive with the free version of IObit Malware Fighter or the spyware scan in Advanced SystemCare. They both have absolutely terrible detection rates, so are not good for protecting against or removing malware and as such I would never install IMF to clean malware from an infected computer.

I've been testing the beta of IMF 7, using both its own scan engine and Bitdefender's and found that is has slightly better detection rates than Bitdefender does. This is not a recommendation of any kind, but is what I have witnessed.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've been using Driver Booster since it was first released. In my experience using it on at least tens of computers, the only time it will find an older driver, is if the driver already installed is a generic Microsoft one and the new driver is the proper OEM one. Sometimes the generic drivers are newer, but it is better to use the OEM ones. In my experience, Driver Booster is one of the best driver updaters there is. I have found that some other driver updates will on occasion, want to replace an OEM driver with an older OEM one, because the older driver has a higher version number. I don't think I've ever seen Driver Booster do that.

I don't think I've seen even a single false positive with the free version of IObit Malware Fighter or the spyware scan in Advanced SystemCare. They both have absolutely terrible detection rates, so are not good for protecting against or removing malware and as such I would never install IMF to clean malware from an infected computer.

I've been testing the beta of IMF 7, using both its own scan engine and Bitdefender's and found that is has slightly better detection rates than Bitdefender does. This is not a recommendation of any kind, but is what I have witnessed.
Interesting how we've had differing experiences.

I haven't used DB myself for several years but I've seen the results on other peoples' machines more recently and when checked with the device/MB etc vendor its often been the case that there were better/newer drivers already installed. I don't recall checking this for at least a year or so, maybe the driver scanner has got better, maybe it works better with certain brands?

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014

The iobit products have been in my system for more than 15 years without any problems.
Χωρίς τίτλο.jpg

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
generally most driver updaters are very dangerous. they can cause BSODs
driver easy, driverpack solution/snappy driver installer, 3dpchip, driver booster, drivermax all gave me problems

conclusion: never update drivers if you don't know the risk or you don't understand what it is, never select Update All. Now I only update the ones I know and feel safe. The rest I go to the manufacture's website and download them manually

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I haven't used DB myself for several years but I've seen the results on other peoples' machines more recently and when checked with the device/MB etc vendor its often been the case that there were better/newer drivers already installed. I don't recall checking this for at least a year or so, maybe the driver scanner has got better, maybe it works better with certain brands?
It hasn't got anything do with the brand, as I've used it on just about every brand of computer. Even looking back to the very first version, I can't recall it ever wanting to install older drivers. Sometimes it will recommend a touchpad driver which is made by a different OEM than the actual manufacturer of the touchpad. Usually the driver will work, but it is not the correct one. But, this is an issue for just about all driver updaters.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.