App Review The Zone Alarm challenge.

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Andy Ful

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I created this video as the continuation of the AVs challenge to show that Antimalware kernel drivers and protected services of popular AVs can be tampered with (from Userland with high privileges), assuming that they are not protected by VBS.
The presented method could be used in the wild because the most important part of it is documented. If so, it was used rarely because I did not see any reference on the web.
It does not use vulnerable drivers and does not abuse PPL.

The presented method is not a full attack, and it is not probable that it can affect home users. However, it can probably be used as a part of targeted attacks in businesses.
Zone Alarm is taken only as an example. The presented method was tested by the author on several well-known Antiviruses, with similar effects.

App Review - The Comodo's challenge.

App Review - Comodo's challenge part 2.

App Review - Eset's challenge.

App Review - Microsoft Defender's challenge.

App Review - Bitdefender's challenge.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
The reply from ZoneAlarm is:

IMG_3236.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The reply from ZoneAlarm is:

View attachment 282408

That is what I noted in my second post. :)
That is why the Zero Trust Model is recommended for Enterprises.
There are many key principles behind it, for example (from Wikipedia):
  • Single strong source of user identity
  • User authentication
  • Machine authentication
  • Additional context, such as policy compliance and device health
  • Authorization policies to access an application
  • Access control policies within an application

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Additional context, such as policy compliance and device health
Speaking of that, it is what I proposed to Check Point as well.
Under “Compliance” a new rule to ensure software drivers are working correctly should be implemented. Upon computer startup, software should check drivers state.
If compliance is not met, it should be communicated to admins and they should be able to push a fix quickly.
That’s assuming that HEP, just like ZA, will be displaying green checkmarks when filter drivers are disabled.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Speaking of that, it is what I proposed to Check Point as well.
Under “Compliance” a new rule to ensure software drivers are working correctly should be implemented. Upon computer startup, software should check drivers state.
If compliance is not met, it should be communicated to admins and they should be able to push a fix quickly.
That’s assuming that HEP, just like ZA, will be displaying green checkmarks when filter drivers are disabled.

If the attacker can get high privileges, the Windows OS can be hardly protected. There are too many possibilities for hiding the malicious code and attacking the Windows kernel. You cannot be sure that the system is clean after disinfection. All AV vendors know it, but it seems that not all security-aware people know it too.
I think that sooner or later the AV vendors must cooperate with Microsoft to protect the antimalware drivers via VBS. But, I have no idea how this could affect the functionality of AVs.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It seems that Zone Alarm and Kaspersky staff are interested in taking a closer look at the attack method. So, I will send them the details.
I am not sure if that method will be covered, but I did my best. :)

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
It seems that Zone Alarm and Kaspersky staff are interested in taking a closer look at the attack method. So, I will send them the details.
I am not sure if that method will be covered, but I did my best. :)
ZoneAlarm or Check Point? Well they are the same company anyway. I’ve provided your email address to Check Point.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Check Point asked about the details of the ZoneAlarm challenge. :)
If the attack includes something they don’t monitor yet, they will need to update hooks and kernel drivers, most probably it will be fixed with the early March update. In Israel the working week starts from Sunday so they will probably review it today.
If they already monitor and record what’s used in this attack, they will just update the T1562.001 IoCs and will write rules for the emulation. This will be very quick.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.