Things that I dislike about security products.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
I thought I would share my lists of things that I dislike about security products.

1. Increase system response time (not talking about RAM or CPU usage which is not relevant for newer Windows OS).
2. False positives or false alerts.
3. Blocking, interfering with or sandboxing trusted processes.
4. Compatibility issues.
5. Making web connections have reduced speed.
6. Bugs are have been around for years and still not resolved.
7. Bundled adware in their installers that should be detected as malware.
8. Bad customer support.
9. Excessive ads in the GUI for non-related products or junk programs.
10. Automatically deleting or quarantine files without no options (ignoring exception list or lack of exception list).

Feel free to add your list of things that you dislike.

Enjoy!! :D

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Things that I dislike the most about security products.

11. Shady Privacy Policy's and / or Terms Of Service Agreements (won't name who)

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013

Bundled adware in their installers that should be detected as malware.
More times than not this is not an issue if the software is direct from the developer. It download sites, like CNET, where the problem is most prevalent.
Good list, by the way.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

MrXidus said:
11. Shady Privacy Policy's and / or Terms Of Service Agreements (won't name who)

I forgot the add that and it is very important if the products collects info without having opt-outs or informing the user about what they collect.

Thanks. :D

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012

great list

i think that adding junk like toolbars and registry cleaner,pc optimization and such things that can
do more harm than good

:)

James

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Here are some I thought of;
- Scareware tactics, when a threat is detected or your subscription is about to run out.
- Auto-payments for soon to expire subscriptions.
- Share/Trial/Demoware that requires a paid subscription to remove threats, or very limited functions.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

aztony said:
More times than not this is not an issue if the software is direct from the developer. It download sites, like CNET, where the problem is most prevalent.
Good list, by the way.

Not to name any in general but they are several top security software vendors that bundle adware, junkware, toolbars and even rogue software like paid registry cleaners in their installers.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013

Littlebits said:
aztony said:
Good list, by the way.

Not to name any in general but they are several top security software vendors that bundle adware, junkware, toolbars and even rogue software like paid registry cleaners in their installers.

Yes, toolbars in particular have become a serious problem from some reputable vendors. Almost forgot unwanted/unsolicited browsers.

isuru1

Level 2
Verified
Dec 12, 2012
Increase system response time
False positives or false alerts
Making web connections have reduced speed
Bugs are have been around for years and still not resolved

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What about Browser Extensions? While they may not necessarily be "toolbars" as commonly known, they do add some extra load on your browser.

Some extensions can cause conflicts, instability, or have no purpose. Some require more permissions to access your browser data.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
What about Browser Extensions? While they may not necessarily be "toolbars" as commonly known, they do add some extra load on your browser.

Some extensions can cause conflicts, instability, or have no purpose. Some require more permissions to access your browser data.

In the past browser extension were a problem but now with the latest browsers it is very simple to disable extensions. I believe all of the latest browsers disable third-party extensions by default, you now have to manually enable them.

Another thing that I forgot to list that I dislike:

-Security products that require constant manual maintenance and tweaking.

I have better things to do on my PC then have to play with security products to kept them at peak performance.

Enjoy!! :D

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Toolbars are a way for vendors to make some $ off their free users incase they don't buy into the paid versions once they see the built in advertisements, nagging popups and fake buttons leading to a non-free product.

A necessary evil.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
FreddyFreeloader said:
AV companies paying for testing results to make them look good.

Of coarse but the problem is actually prove who has paid, by looking at the results on testing site most of us can tell all the ones at the top of the lists are probably the vendors that paid the most.

Another thing I don't like is vendors that post false advertisements for their products or pay people to post fake reviews on download sites and blogs.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Littlebits said:
FreddyFreeloader said:
AV companies paying for testing results to make them look good.

Another thing I don't like is vendors that post false advertisements for their products or pay people to post fake reviews on download sites and blogs.

Yeah, like Samsung.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/24/5023658/samsung-fined-340000-for-posting-negative-htc-reviews

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
"Another thing I don't like is vendors that post false advertisements for their products or pay people to post fake reviews on download sites and blogs."
yes software vendors shows their product achievment on their home like we are top on that site review.
Eg last year when i was first gone to EAM site they show me i think russian site review in which test they are on top.

D

Deleted member 178

the main thing i hate in some vendors, it's they keep adding bloat to their products when it was already well made.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.