Things you dislike about your security software

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Next ReHips build will have reduced impact, they were working on it. On their forum there is a article about it.
SOB despite being powerful isn't actively developed, just some minor compatibility updates.
That's great about Rehips and i am really want to use it on my system when i will buy a new pc.
As for SOB i used it for a couple of weeks. Great software and when it will be developed properly it will be the next trend of security software's.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Kaspersky Free Antivirus: dislike the root certificate used for scanning HTTPS connections and that a lot of settings are not available.
Kaspersky Cloud Free: dislike the root certificate used for scanning HTTPS connections and recommendations you can't turn off from the main screen like for using their password manager.
Emsisoft Anti-Malware: dislike the current interface, not easy to get to all settings.
Comodo Firewall: dislike that the interface doesn't scale with windows and false positives that occur with Windows Store Apps.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
What i really hate about 3rd party internet security software is aftermath after uninstall. Yesterday i uninstalled kaspersky internet security and my system restore broke, WD didn't work for hours, i guess kaspersky left some leftovers behind and WD though i have kaspersky still on and right click in start button stopped working.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
MBAM -- the update process can be rough. Even the minor updates fill the MBAM forum with issues -- like right now. They seem to have adopted the "make everybody part of the beta" model. This has happened multiple times in the past year.
Latest Malwarebytes Update Causing Windows 7 to Freeze

Cylance -- they have a little tiny GUI and make a separate webpage part of the user GUI. Not a very elegant approach.

ZoneAlarmPro -- I'm just playing around with a comped license right now. It slows things down noticeably. There are periodic short freezes... 1-2 seconds in duration.

McAfee -- Yes, I run this on one old computer -- even though I have unused licenses for much better products. Long story as to why I use it... Anyway, there are freezes, legit sites blocked, issues with accessing the Security Center...

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
HMP.A - Even if you exclude a harmless & maybe common program without any warning or ask 'would I like to exclude this program' the programs exe is wiped instantly (I think just for fun) out & as it's already excluded is the reason it's not on this PC, it is on my lapply until licence end. (maybe) Not sure if Sophos knows about FP's?

KIS - Unhappy for example with just about every VPN there is (among other programs), hopefully you can exclude it before KIS gets its hand on it. Brilliant bar for that.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Bitdefender Free - SSL scanning blocks safe websites. Oh, and it appears to have cut my wifi multiple times over month-long trial. Took multiple restarts to fix each time. Other than that, an excellent free AV. I wanted to like it ... ... but "bye-bye!". :LOL:

Cylance Smart AV - GUI is definitely not elegant @Burrito, but you are only partially right: it's "minimalist"! :LOL: Oh, and no script protection included.

Windows Defender - GUI not for old, arthritic hands and leads to repetitive stress syndrome in the otherwise healthy person. :sick: The only AV (and system) that holds a gun to your head to use it. Thanks for forwarding that letter @Andy Ful! (y)

@Miss Onnellisuus - What a novel idea, taking the time to see what users don't like! Thank you! :cool::emoji_clap::emoji_clap::emoji_clap:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.