Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What i really hate about 3rd party internet security software is aftermath after uninstall. Yesterday i uninstalled kaspersky internet security and my system restore broke, WD didn't work for hours, i guess kaspersky left some leftovers behind and WD though i have kaspersky still on and right click in start button stopped working.
if you use kaspersky removal tool, it's a known issue and will definitely break your system restore
there is a fix for it, I posted while ago
take home message: never use kaspersky removal tool

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Things I dislike about my security software ?

Right now ? ..... There is nothing I dislike about any of it ..... Happy Days !

But previously , I disliked the sluggish boot times , the insane resource hogging , and the far too frequently pointless updates .....
.... and most of all ?
I hate the " official removal tools " that they all seem to have available to download .

They vary all the way from totally useless to absolute "wrecking balls " on your system .

Over the years I have used most of the major AVs , and removing them is always a royal PITA .
In fact this issue annoys me so much that I think I'll start a poll here ....

" Vote for the worst AV Removal Tool you have ever used " :ROFLMAO:

Not sure which ones to include in the poll .... Avast , AVG , Comodo , Eset , F-Secure , Kaspersky , McAfee , Norton , Panda
..... anybody using one that I've missed ?

I'm currently using Forticlient plus OSArmor and I can't fault either of them .

@ForgottenSeer 58943 - a massive " thank you " for making me aware of Forticlient in the first place ,
and for so willingly sharing your vast knowledge and experience ....
..... you are a true star !

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
I used to dislike Kaspersky's annoying encrypted scanning messages which no longer come since a few months. I still dislike the problem i experienced once before 3-5 months where i had to re-install KIS due to repeated warnings to reboot to resolve a malware in web page which was already resolved when the webpage was open by KIS blocking access to it.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
The most recent thing i dislike about my security software is -

Kaspersky: I have to close kaspersky to install windows update. This was not the issue 3-4 months ago. I have to investigate what's the real problem (conflict) which i hate. I would rather close kaspersky at windows update than deal with support.
Adguard: Nothing. I used to dislike that assistant didn't work on some sites so i installed adguard extension/addon as well. Now wherever adguard desktop assistant doesn't work, extension/addon does & other times it runs in integration mode, a great feature.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Currently using SEP14 and while I love it, the one thing that I dislike is how much log files it create and phones home quite often. it logs in appdata folder, programdata folder, eventlog, and a few other places. My last AV was emsisoft and love how simple and clear their log files are.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
F-Secure

Webcam & Microphone Protection needed, specialy when you call yourself a CyberSecurity & "Privacy" company

slow development for the new features ( ofc not the necessary ones )
+1
I'd like to see some of their business suite features implemented into Home products.
They got nice advanced features but those are not available for advanced users :(

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky free:
- Cache wiping after reboot -> scan files again and slows down the machine, after that, it's fine (issue cannot be solved)
- Set scan mode = on execution, still scans files before they are executed (for example, open a folder with exe files)
- Almost useless against PUPs/adwares => need to combine with unchecky and emsisoft browser security extension/WDBP
- Default settings: rootkit scan and idle scan slow down the machine => disable
- Script injection makes browser very laggy (facebook or heavy websites), much higher CPU usage, computer fan spins faster => disable
- Compatibility issue with a few softwares: NPE for example
- Slow scanning speed
- Breaks https sometimes, much better now
- I feel like since the release of Kaspersky free, it' has been more targeted by malware makers -> more bypasses found (scorpion, Kyrox,...)
- Can be heavy using default settings
- No default-deny module in free versions
- No support for free users
- Kaspersky removal tool is known to break System Restore/system protection (seems not to be resolved yet)

Avast free:
- Ads/nags/popups => block AvastUI.exe with firewall
- The new UI is crap and useless => use the old UI
- Telemetry => block tracking domains and lock the hosts file to prevent avast's self-defense from deleting them
- Scanning speed is quite slow (due to cloud checking)
- Web shield doesn't include the latest phishing database (exclusive for Avast extension)
- "Warn when downloading files with poor reputation" (similar to Norton's download insight, Sophos and windows smartscreen) doesn't work and no ETA for a fix. I tried to report many times but was ignored by the devs
- Hardened mode only supports exe files (.msi maybe), afaik
- Susceptible to file-less malwares => use syshardener and H_C to block scripts
- Above average PUP protection, not the best
- Behavior blocker is above average and only works online. Totally useless offline
- Web shield by default is not optimized -> can slow down browsing experience
- Avast with default settings can be heavy for many people => tweak = super lightweight
- Hardware-assisted virtualization causes many problems => disable
- Slows down boot time significantly!!! => tweaks can solve it
- No support for free users unless the the bug is widespread
- Block message pops up straight to the face and interferes with current work
- Avast seems to be unstable after automatic update => habit: repair immediately after updating

Last edited:

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
Would this be in reference to lifetime licenses that are tied to the lifetime of one device instead of a user's lifetime? I agree that those are misleading at best. :emoji_disappointed:
That and more. IDK. VIPRE comes to mind. Like how a product is axed, only to be replaced by a new product (that your old "lifetime" license doesn't work on) or if a product/company is bought by another (the T&C tend to change).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.