Advice Request Thinking of going for Bitdefender Free

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 59295
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
I have been a happy easier of Emsisoft Antimalware for three years now but to be quite honest it hasn't had to do anything. Literally, the only pop up I get is when running games installed through steam and had to add them to the exclusion. As Emsisoft uses the BitDefender engine I was wondering about using Bitdefender free instead of paying for security when mine hasn't needed to do anything in so long.

I know that there is always a first time but just wondering what your thoughts are as Security enthusiast

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Stay with Emsisoft. Don't use a product with a "kinder" in every product such like: light on system but when vsserv.exe update the cpu run crazy and hard drive is getting hammered, almost no technical support, very buggy, plus on mac at every 1-2 maybe 3 seconds bugdefender connect to internet(tested on mac with little snitch, with Kaspersky or ESET you don't see this s..t)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Is your Emsisoft license close to running out? If not I'd wait until your license expires before giving Bitdefender a try. Then if you're happy with how Bitdefender performs on your system and feel sufficiently protected, you can decide if you want to continue using Bitdefender or purchase another Emsisoft license.

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Always follow the golden rule of IT "If it ain't broke don't fix it", If you are happy with your AV you should stick with it. Although there is nothing wrong with trying out new stuff, so give BD free a try.
My experience with BD has always been bad since the last year. All of their products have an update bug which causes 100% disk usage for about 5 minutes, every damn hour (BD updates every hour). I have reported it to their technical staff 2-3 times and they don't acknowledge it as a bug (maybe it's a feature for them :p)

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
I got BSOD almost everyday because of bitdefender free. If you want free AV and not be bugged with ads use windows defender or install avast if you don't care about ads that much.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
Hey,I would purchase Bitdefender,but that is just me(I have not had any problems with Bitdefender Total Security during Windows updates.):)

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
In the end it all comes down to whether you want to protect your computer for free or pay for an antivirus or suite.

Emsisoft is one of the best paying options (there are Kaspersky, GData and Eset which are also friendly for gamers)

If you want to protect your computer for free, Bitdefender is one of the best options, you also have kaspersky free or Avast could do it. If you are looking for an AV with a good BB, I prefer Avast, but I insist, BitDefender free also seems like a good option to me

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
I am going to go in another direction here, but if you have Windows 10, I would personally go Windows Defender if you want to go the free route. It does quite well these days and is getting better and better.

Using this tool will allow you to further tweak Windows Defender (such as blocking PUAs):

ConfigureDefender utility for Windows 10
The intrigues me as I am tempted by windows defender, it's more that with my surfing habits and computer usage my AV doesn't do anything and I was looking to go through a free route because of this reason

What does the configuration do? Could I not changing things manually?

Reactions: upnorth

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
if you can stay with emsisoft then stay but if you dont then just go with another av (free or not) . i ditched both emsisoft and BD for trend micro .

F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
if you can stay with emsisoft then stay but if you dont then just go with another av (free or not) . i ditched both emsisoft and BD for trend micro .
I had some bad times with trend seemed to slow up my machine a lot and trying to go free to be honest because I don't seem to be needing a security software (As in mine doesn't seem to be doing anything for me because of my habits) I am not saying I don't need it at all don't get me wrong

Reactions: ZeroDay

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I had some bad times with trend seemed to slow up my machine a lot and trying to go free to be honest because I don't seem to be needing a security software (As in mine doesn't seem to be doing anything for me because of my habits) I am not saying I don't need it at all don't get me wrong
all you need is one bad javascript, you don't know you need something until its too late

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.