Advice Request Thinking of going for Bitdefender Free

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 59295
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So would I be correct in saying that "Private Bytes" is how much memory the process has asked for and "Working Set" is the Private Bytes plus a little extra shared memory that other processes can use? And also, "Private Working Set" is the amount of private memory currently in physical RAM which is the most accurate representation of how much memory it is actually using? – Scandalist Jul 12 '13 at 20:25

yeah, pretty much. if you are worried about free ram private working set is the way to go. if you are worried about page-file or full commit (ram + virtual memory) private bytes is a good metric. – Frank Thomas Jul 13 '13

Private Bytes VS Working Set in Process Explorer

From from I gather BD is using only about 200MB, but it reserves 600MB in total, which is actually taken the from overall RAM, so it is used.
Why not try task manager?

Not really sure, what Windows Task Manager shows, but I would not rely on that.
Just look at the browser for comparison. Windows shows 482 vs 728/971.

Attachments

• capture_07102018_095027.jpg
    capture_07102018_095027.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 360

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Why not try task manager?
Which BD?
task manager only shows you the real used memory but doesn't show you the full memory usage including real+reserved memory. You can enable that column in task manager. More reserved memory means potential more disk i/o because pagefile would have to work more fetching blocks of memory from and to physical and virtual memory
for me the total memory must include the reserved memory because it will also consume your RAM or virtual memory
for example, kaspersky is reported to consume ~100MB in task manager but in fact it reserves up to 300-400 of memory
emsisoft is even worse with 400-500MB of total memory

too much reserved memory would cause massive lag on machines with low memory and slow HDD RPM

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
too much reserved memory would cause massive lag on machines with low memory and slow HDD RPM
I should also note, that I have pagefile disabled, so what would be used by it, is used by RAM instead, hopefully to prevent that lag caused by HDD. And since I used to recommend BD Free as a light alternative to be used like by laptops with slow HDD and low memory, it is no longer the case.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I should also note, that I have pagefile disabled, so what would be used by it, is used by RAM instead, hopefully to prevent that lag caused by HDD. And since I used to recommend BD Free as a light alternative to be used like by laptops with slow HDD and low memory, it is no longer the case.
same here. disabling pagefile is the first thing I do for my laptop because it massively extends my HDD lifespan and significantly deceases lag and disk io => reserved memory is also counted as real memory
people would say, oh it would cause bsods, bla bla bla
I don't care, 1-2 times/year over the last 6 years is acceptable for me due to some apps leaking mem. -> remove them later

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Do you also disable the swap file? I don't know if this is windows 10 specific, though. :D

And thank you for that link about memory stuff in Process explorer, TairikuOkami! Now I finally know it. :D
yes we do because when disabling pagefile, swapfile should be also disabled. I don't use windows 10 apps so I don't need the swapfile

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Unfortunately useful things are apps: Calculator, Defender Security Center. :)
With how much RAM would you recommend doing that, and, would you do that with an SSD too?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Unfortunately useful things are apps: Calculator, Defender Security Center. :)
With how much RAM would you recommend doing that, and, would you do that with an SSD too?
disabing pagefile won't affect calculator or WDSC, same for stickynotes
I'm using them everyday
at least 8Gb if you want to disable pagefile safely and use you computer comfortably. More is better
SSD if better if you want. Disabling pagefile will reduce the need of an SSD but still SSD will significantly improve the load time of any application => better performance

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
.The bitdefender is good free antivirus but the ram........ Sophos home the same. If you don t have problem with the ram is nice solution. But if you search light solution for laptop i thing 360 TS and immunet alongside woodooshield or CF and youare ok

Reactions: oldschool

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
I'm using them everyday
at least 8Gb if you want to disable pagefile safely and use you computer comfortably. More is better
SSD if better if you want. Disabling pagefile will reduce the need of an SSD but still SSD will significantly improve the load time of any application => better performance
yes we do because when disabling pagefile, swapfile should be also disabled. I don't use windows 10 apps so I don't need the swapfile
This sounded like deactivating the swapfile will render windows apps inoperable. But I understand. :)

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Isn't there a swap partition too? What about it?
That 500MB partition at the start of the disc. Recovery is the other partition at the end of the disc.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Isn't there a swap partition too? What about it?
That 500MB partition at the start of the disc. Recovery is the other partition at the end of the disc.
I don't think they are swap partition. They are reserved for important windows's files
the swapfile.sys is stored in C:\, same place as pagefile.sys

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I'm using them everyday

Well I have 16GB of RAM and an SSD i shouldn't disable it right?

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
I remember I did that a while ago and I have 8GB. I got some BSODs, but not very often. (Or just once) I probably changed back because any BSOD is too much for me and I have a SSD anyway. :giggle:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I remember I did that a while ago and I have 8GB. I got some BSODs, but not very often. (Or just once) I probably changed back because any BSOD is too much for me and I have a SSD anyway. :giggle:
after disabling the pagefile, I always find a way to reduce ram usage start by disabling superfetch and useless services, finding resource-friendly AV (avast, comodo, very low ram usage)

StrikeFIN

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2017
Yesterday got updated from 1.0.12.30 > 1.0.12.34, and looks like "send anonymous usage reports" bug is fixed (will stay off status now, before it turn itself on status)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.