64-bit OS
Security Updates
Automatic Updates - All security and feature updates
User Access Control
Always Notify
Firewall
3rd-party Firewall - Network security provided by a trusted vendor
Device Security
Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
User Account
Administrator - User has complete control over the device
Recent Security Incidents
No malware or privacy issues
Malware Testing
Malware on a secure VM - Full Network and File isolation
Real-time Web & Malware Protection
ESET Internet Security
VoodooShield Pro on Aggressive AutoPilot
Windscribe Pro w/ ROBERT
Custom Settings For Real-Time Protection
Custom - Major changes for Increased Security
Custom Settings For Real-Time Protection Details
ESET Internet Security settings tweaked for maximum security, automatic strict cleaning and no user input required apart from "Smart Mode" HIPS.
Windscribe Pro ROBERT is like a server-side Pi-Hole blocking tens of millions of crap domains.
Virus and Malware Removal Tools
AdwCleaner
HitmanPro
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Browsers and Extensions
Hardened Firefox w/ Bitwarden, Windscribe, HTTPS Everywhere, Universal Bypass, I Don't Care About Cookies and Dark Reader (I like my eyesight).
Web Privacy
Windscribe Pro + ROBERT, Windscribe Browser Extension & Firefox Content Blocking.
When Windscribe is not on (e.g. playing a game) DNS is AdGuard DNS.
StevenBlack's HOSTS file w/ HostsMan for updates.
Password Management
Bitwarden
Default Web Search
StartPage
System Utilities
Bleachbit, Geek Uninstaller, NVT SysHardener, Hard_Configurator, Windows Privacy Dashboard, O&O ShutUp10, Blackbird and PatchMyPC running daily on a schedule.
Data Backup
Limited personal data on PC, recovery codes and such encrypted w/ VeraCrypt and copied to a HDD as a precaution.
Frequency of Data backups
Weekly
System Backup
AOMEI Backupper.
Frequency of System backups
Occasionally
Computer Activity
Gaming
Browsing Internet and email
Watch movies and other video content on the Internet
Programming
Computer Specifications
HP OMEN PC
Ryzen 5 2600 (6 cores, 12 threads @ 4.2GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB
8GB DDR4
128GB Samsung M.2 (OS + Software)
1TB Toshiba HDD (Games, Large Files, etc.)

LDogg

Level 27
Verified
All 4 layers are covered:
  • Realtime etc: Eset
  • Firewall: Eset
  • Web browser: via Pihole, HTTPS Everywhere
  • Backup: Aomei
My advice:
  • Consider adding Scriptsafe to your web browser
  • As long as you know which settings to use when both Syshardener and H-C are active you should be fine
  • I'd out down the exact version of ESET in the Real Time section
Thanks for sharing your config.

~LDogg

Raiden

Level 9
Content Creator
Verified
Is H_C compatible with SysHardener? :giggle:
It's a bit of a yes/no. I run both of them, but the vast majority of settings within Syshardener are disabled (since H_C covers them already) except the firewall rules and a few that @Andy Ful suggested I keep on. I did ask him this exact question, so he walked me through it, but I think going forward H_C will have some of those features, so at some point Syshardener will not be needed at all, but @Andy Ful can clarify this better than I can.(y)

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 24
Verified
It's a bit of a yes/no. I run both of them, but the vast majority of settings within Syshardener are disabled (since H_C covers them already) except the firewall rules and a few that @Andy Ful suggested I keep on. I did ask him this exact question, so he walked me through it, but I think going forward H_C will have some of those features moving forward I believe, so at some point Syshardener will not be needed at all, but @Andy Ful can clarify this better than I can.(y)
Thank you @Raiden. I've been thinking about that combo for a few days, that's why I asked.:giggle:

Regarding SysHardener and Hard_Configurator I make sure to run the latter last, as it detects the current settings. SysHardener does most with some really tight settings and H_C tidies up some loose ends, both amazing pieces of software.

All 4 layers are covered:
  • Realtime etc: Eset
  • Firewall: Eset
  • Web browser: via Pihole, HTTPS Everywhere
  • Backup: Aomei
My advice:
  • Consider adding Scriptsafe to your web browser
  • As long as you know which settings to use when both Syshardener and H-C are active you should be fine
  • I'd out down the exact version of ESET in the Real Time section
Thanks for sharing your config.

~LDogg
Thanks for your recommendations but I tend to avoid NoScript/ScriptSafe/similar because you spend half your time making websites work and half your time doing what you actually set out to do. If anything happens in my browser, no history is ever stored and first party cookies last until I close the window.

Hi @Threadripper , you can add ZAM Free to your configuration for Virus and Malware Removal tools, the new Beta version is full of new powerful features to defeat threats.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for your recommendation, my on-demand scanners are all portable and I don't feel like installing the beta version of a program which has no portable version. Should a portable version be released I may reconsider this.

Reactions: bribon77

harlan4096

Staff member
Malware Hunter
Verified
I think ZAM 3 beta still is not stable and finished enough to use in a standard system, also lacks of many customize settings (specific folders) to scan, and I have been performing tests with it and ignores the scanning for malware in many risky system folders, so I don't recommend it for now...

JM Safe

From Zemana
Verified

JM Safe

From Zemana
Verified
I think ZAM 3 beta still is not stable and finished enough to use in a standard system, also lacks of many customize settings (specific folders) to scan, and I have been performing tests with it and ignores the scanning for malware in many risky system folders, so I don't recommend it for now...
Hey harlan (and all users),

ZAM 3.0 Beta right now can detect running processes and processes which have potential to run, not files that sit on the disk, like on desktop or appdata. ZAM 3.0 Beta can detect processes, drivers, startup directories, registry autostart, browser hijackers that could spoil browser searching etc.

Guys, if you want to test ZAM 3.0 Beta (obviously in a secure and isolated VM with VPN and all security measures to prevent infections on your real machine) you can for example download some fresh EXE malware samples or for example malware that create registry autostart locations and then you can start with Smart Scan and test it. Thank you guys! :)

Removed VoodooShield: Slowed down the opening of task manager and I have a bit of a love and hate relationship with it.

Added Blackbird: Hands down the best Windows debloater, everything is fast.

Switched from GeForce Experience to TinyNVIDIAUpdateChecker: Experience's graphic setting recommendations were insanely high or low and never ran well, I also avoid a large chunk of telemetry this way.

Reactions: harlan4096
Do you have a link to this Blackbird program?

~LDogg
Blackbird

Make sure you create a restore point if not a full backup, it's rather aggressive. You can also backup settings in the program itself and it can revert everything it changed back to what it was before if you have issues. I'd also recommend letting it "scan" so you can see options and things it will disable, just to be on the safe side.

Added VoodooShield Pro back, that slowdown occurs when you add a VoodooShield password and try to open task manager or the other apps it protects with that password and it displays the prompt before/after UAC. Haven't added a password this time, Aggressive AutoPilot working well.

LDogg

Level 27
Verified
Added VoodooShield Pro back, that slowdown occurs when you add a VoodooShield password and try to open task manager or the other apps it protects with that password and it displays the prompt before/after UAC. Haven't added a password this time, Aggressive AutoPilot working well.
Great addition for your computer! It's very light on the system as well!

~LDogg

Reactions: Threadripper