Latest Changes
Jun 4, 2019
Operating System
  • Linux/Unix
  • Windows Edition
    Not running Windows
    Build Version
    Latest non-LTS version of Ubuntu (19.04 at time of writing)
    System Architecture
    64-bit
    Security Updates
    Automatic Updates (recommended)
    User Access Control
    Not applicable for non-Windows OS
    Network Security (Firewall)
    Firewall app for Linux
    Device Security
  • Not available (Linux)
  • User Account
    Administrator
    Sign-in Accounts
    Malware Testing
    None - No Malware on host PC or VM
    Real-time Web & Malware Protection
    Sophos Anti-Virus for Linux
    AppArmour
    UFW (Uncomplicated Firewall - Allow outbound/deny inbound)
    Windscribe Pro (R.O.B.E.R.T details lower down) firewall/always-on & LAN bypass off
    Custom Settings For Real-Time Protection
    Custom - Major changes for Increased Security
    Custom Settings For Real-Time Protection Details
    Windscribe Pro ROBERT is like a server-side Pi-Hole blocking tens of millions of crap domains (malware, phishing, cryptominers, etc.)
    Virus and Malware Removal Tools
    None
    Browsers and Extensions
    Hardened Firefox w/ Bitwarden, uBlock Origin, Windscribe, Dark Reader, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere & Emsisoft Browser Security.
    Web Privacy
    uBlock Origin, Windscribe Pro + ROBERT, Windscribe Browser Extension & Firefox Content Blocking.
    Password Manager
    Bitwarden Premium
    Web Search
    StartPage
    System Utilities
    Bleachbit, VeraCrypt and Firejail.
    Data Backup
    Limited personal data on PC, recovery codes and such encrypted w/ VeraCrypt and copied to a HDD as a precaution
    Sync.com and iCloud used on multiple devices for photos, etc.
    Frequency of Data backups
    Always-on Sync
    System Backup
    Déjà Dup Backup Tool
    Frequency of System backups
    Occasionally
    Computer Activity
  • PC Gaming
  • Online banking
  • Browsing web and email
  • Watch movies and other entertainment content on the Internet
  • Programming
  • Computer Specifications
    HP OMEN PC
    Ryzen 5 2600 (6 cores, 12 threads @ 4.2GHz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB
    8GB DDR4
    128GB Samsung M.2 (OS + Software)
    1TB Toshiba HDD (Games, Large Files, etc.)

Threadripper

Level 6
    I spoke a little too soon - Bitdefender turned into Bugdefender with black screens, system hanging, Windows explorer not responding and freezing after waking from sleep (all these were fixed once it was removed). Trying Emsisoft and LOVING MyEmsisoft to configure all devices and policies, won't update config till I actually buy it.

devjit2018

Level 9
    Tester
    Verified
    I had similar experience with Bitdefender Total Security. It's too buggy. Good decision on your part by removing Bitdefender and going to Emsisoft. It's a lot better and their privacy policy is the best. Protection wise it's also one of the top contenders. The only version of Bitdefender that I could use without any problems was the Free version. You barely notice it's running.

Threadripper

Level 6
    Windows is gone! Finally got the last Windows machine in my household, my gaming PC, running Ubuntu with minimal disruption. Quick install, everything works, can go through every setting with a fine tooth comb in around 10 minutes. Windscribe ALWAYS on, UFW deny inbound allow outbound and games that don't run natively running with Steam Proton. Love being able to update everything on the system with two commands.

Raiden

Level 11
    Content Creator
    Verified
    Windows is gone! Finally got the last Windows machine in my household, my gaming PC, running Ubuntu with minimal disruption. Quick install, everything works, can go through every setting with a fine tooth comb in around 10 minutes. Windscribe ALWAYS on, UFW deny inbound allow outbound and games that don't run natively running with Steam Proton. Love being able to update everything on the system with two commands.
    I too have been contemplating switching to linux. My only stop has been gaming, but the vast majority of my games are on steam, so I can use their Proton tech. Do you have games that aren't on steam? If so, how do you run them, wine?

Reactions: oldschool

Threadripper

Level 6
    I too have been contemplating switching to linux. My only stop has been gaming, but the vast majority of my games are on steam, so I can use their Proton tech. Do you have games that aren't on steam? If so, how do you run them, wine?
    Most games not on Steam do run with Wine. Take a look at an app called PlayOnLinux to install games and apps directly from the GUI that use Wine, it can also install apps and games not listed. The ProtonDB website will tell you the current status of a game's compatibility with Wine/Proton.

Raiden

Level 11
    Content Creator
    Verified
    Most games not on Steam do run with Wine. Take a look at an app called PlayOnLinux to install games and apps directly from the GUI that use Wine, it can also install apps and games not listed. The ProtonDB website will tell you the current status of a game's compatibility with Wine/Proton.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I am currently running Kubuntu 19.04 in a VM and liking it a lot. I have installed Wine and Play on linux and will try it out and see what happens.(y):) It may still take quite a bit to move me away from Windows 10 completely, but it's worth giving Linux a try IMO.(y)

Threadripper

Level 6
    Thanks for the recommendation! I am currently running Kubuntu 19.04 in a VM and liking it a lot. I have installed Wine and Play on linux and will try it out and see what happens.(y):) It may still take quite a bit to move me away from Windows 10 completely, but it's worth giving Linux a try IMO.(y)
    Hope it all goes well for you. Most Windows-only games on Steam run with Proton anyway, which is literally just install and play like on Windows, it's great.