Windows Edition
Home
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Windows Security (including Virtualization Security/Core Isolation) & ConfigureDefender
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium
SysHardener
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Windscribe Pro ROBERT is like a server-side Pi-Hole blocking tens of millions of crap domains (malware, phishing, ads, cryptominers, etc.)
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Hardened Firefox w/ Bitwarden, Windscribe, Malwarebytes Browser Guard, Dark Reader & HTTPS Everywhere.
Maintenance tools
Bleachbit, VeraCrypt & PatchMyPC scheduled to run daily.
File and Photo backup
Limited personal data on PC, recovery codes and such encrypted w/ VeraCrypt and copied to a HDD as a precaution
iCloud used on multiple devices for photos, etc.
System recovery
None
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
HP OMEN PC
Ryzen 5 2600 (6 cores, 12 threads @ 4.2GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB
8GB DDR4
128GB Samsung M.2 (OS + Software)
1TB Toshiba HDD (Games, Large Files, etc.)

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Do you notice any performance impact after switching from ESET to Bitdefender?

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I spoke a little too soon - Bitdefender turned into Bugdefender with black screens, system hanging, Windows explorer not responding and freezing after waking from sleep (all these were fixed once it was removed). Trying Emsisoft and LOVING MyEmsisoft to configure all devices and policies, won't update config till I actually buy it.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I had similar experience with Bitdefender Total Security. It's too buggy. Good decision on your part by removing Bitdefender and going to Emsisoft. It's a lot better and their privacy policy is the best. Protection wise it's also one of the top contenders. The only version of Bitdefender that I could use without any problems was the Free version. You barely notice it's running.

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Windows is gone! Finally got the last Windows machine in my household, my gaming PC, running Ubuntu with minimal disruption. Quick install, everything works, can go through every setting with a fine tooth comb in around 10 minutes. Windscribe ALWAYS on, UFW deny inbound allow outbound and games that don't run natively running with Steam Proton. Love being able to update everything on the system with two commands.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Windows is gone! Finally got the last Windows machine in my household, my gaming PC, running Ubuntu with minimal disruption. Quick install, everything works, can go through every setting with a fine tooth comb in around 10 minutes. Windscribe ALWAYS on, UFW deny inbound allow outbound and games that don't run natively running with Steam Proton. Love being able to update everything on the system with two commands.

I too have been contemplating switching to linux. My only stop has been gaming, but the vast majority of my games are on steam, so I can use their Proton tech. Do you have games that aren't on steam? If so, how do you run them, wine?

Reactions: oldschool

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
I too have been contemplating switching to linux. My only stop has been gaming, but the vast majority of my games are on steam, so I can use their Proton tech. Do you have games that aren't on steam? If so, how do you run them, wine?
Most games not on Steam do run with Wine. Take a look at an app called PlayOnLinux to install games and apps directly from the GUI that use Wine, it can also install apps and games not listed. The ProtonDB website will tell you the current status of a game's compatibility with Wine/Proton.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Most games not on Steam do run with Wine. Take a look at an app called PlayOnLinux to install games and apps directly from the GUI that use Wine, it can also install apps and games not listed. The ProtonDB website will tell you the current status of a game's compatibility with Wine/Proton.

Thanks for the recommendation! I am currently running Kubuntu 19.04 in a VM and liking it a lot. I have installed Wine and Play on linux and will try it out and see what happens.(y):) It may still take quite a bit to move me away from Windows 10 completely, but it's worth giving Linux a try IMO.(y)

Threadripper

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Thanks for the recommendation! I am currently running Kubuntu 19.04 in a VM and liking it a lot. I have installed Wine and Play on linux and will try it out and see what happens.(y):) It may still take quite a bit to move me away from Windows 10 completely, but it's worth giving Linux a try IMO.(y)
Hope it all goes well for you. Most Windows-only games on Steam run with Proton anyway, which is literally just install and play like on Windows, it's great.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.