ThreatFire Level 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
It is all good. You have to keep your priorities straight, and plenty of rest for school is one of the most important priorities.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
http://antivirus-softwares.com/2012/08/threatfire-antivirus-free-edition-download/

I guess I am not the only one.

CNET has posted a brand new review on the TF page. I thought that was odd, like maybe they know something we don't.

http://download.cnet.com/ThreatFire-AntiVirus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-12218868.html

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012
September 11, 2012. It looks like a new one but hasn't this software been abandoned for a while now?

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
It looks that way as far as PC Tools websites go, but I am getting product updates and database updates at least 5 times a week. The interface is at least a year old, and it looks like version 4.7.0.53 came out a little less than a year ago.

I heard that Norton was having trouble with their behavior blocker (HIPS or SONAR??) being effective, so they are doing quiet research and development pertaining to Threatfire. I am trying to find where I read it at.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
What I read may have been a few years old. I don't know. But whenever the time period was, Norton was in need of TF due to internal struggles to maintain an effective HIPS or behavior blocker.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Maybe it's because users are too caught up in a monthly-yearly product cycle release, so they assume a product is dead.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
jph075.png

There was a red "x" there instead of a green check before I updated. It still reads: "version 4.7.0.53", as you can see. Nonetheless, I am getting updates. Maybe some Ruskie hacker has hijacked it and I am injecting malicious code into the kernel every time I update. Bwahhahahahaha.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I notice that every time I download a fresh updated copy of Dr. Web CureIt it has the same old look and still displays "2011" on the splash. In light of that, it is not dead, and is updated daily; AND IT ROCKS. Just an example........

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
30229uo.png

That is a splash window just after I downloaded the freshest copy of Dr. Web CureIt.
I have noticed, in months past, that even the U.I. stated the version was no newer than 2011, yet it was up-to-date.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I just received a 1112KB product update for Threatfire. That is, by far, the biggest in as long as I can remember.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
"PC Tools ThreatFire, a bit like Norton has seen it’s ups and downs in recent times but just like Norton has now bounced back to the top of the pile. The latest version has an improved rootkit scanner with options for either an “intelli” scan or full scan. The program also seems far less capable of causing system problems than previous versions which IMO now makes Threatfire far more suitable for average users. No doubt the involvement of Symantec with PC Tools has helped with this development as has the need to integrate component parts from Threatfire into the PC Tools Internet Security suite. The end result has been to make Threatfire not only more capable than it was but also more stable.

With signature based scanners becoming less effective against new threats, programs like Threatfire have an increasing role to play in PC security. This has also been recognized by commercial vendors like F-Secure (DeepGuard) and Emsisoft (Mamutu) who have been using this technology for some time. Like these other programs, Threatfire constantly monitors your system for behavior typical of that exhibited by malware such as capturing your keystrokes etc. When used together with a traditional real-time anti virus and a good firewall, Threatfire provides the often missing link for behavioral based detection. Threatfire also contains a highly effective system activity monitor which will display your autoruns in addition to other useful information. The other tab on the advanced settings though is only for truly experienced users with a high degree of Windows system knowledge. Creating advanced rules with Threatfire can render your system unusable unless you know exactly what you are doing. In the hands of experienced users though this facility is a formidable tool."

*Windows 2000 users please note that you need V4.1 of Threatfire. See footnote 3 and other useful information including the download link on this page.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-hips.htm

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Just received a 1086 KB "database update".

I could be wrong, but I truly believe that someone is still developing this product though it is completely unofficial, and the U.I. and splash screen, etc. are over 1.5 years old. Eventhough the version number appears to stick at 4.7.0.53, someone is doing something, with TF, for some reason, imho.

Stranger things have happened.

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012
PC Tools October 11 decided to send to retirement PC Tools ThreatFire. Programs Firewall Plus and Browser Defender Toolbar have also been withdrawn .

However, loyal customers products listed above are entitled to the opportunity to purchase upgrade to Internet Security Package for about $ 2.

From this site I would like to thank all the existing users, and the application of these testers.

Regards

Mikołaj
-http://forum.safegroup.pl/hips-sandbox/koniec-wsparcia-dla-pc-tools-threatfire-t7572.html

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Well done Symantec. :-/

ZOU, hang in there, we'll find you a replacement. :D :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.