Time for new Password Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

reystar

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Why don't you like the autofill in 1Password?

For some reason, in order to autofill i have to either a) right click and select 1Password and autofill or b) click the extension to select the account to autofill...i dont get a popup.

Also, the password generator when registering up, it much slower to access it than Dashlane that just pops up when i click on the password field...

Out from all i tried Dashlane and 1Password are the most polished one, both have cons and pros, i cant decide dammit!

If 1Password had better autofill option and Android autofill (comes with Android Oreo 8.0 version) already, i think i would pick that because it has more Login times (it even has SSH for server). But the autofill on chrome at least that i tried it on Windows was really really bad/slow

Reactions: Garzaman

Unknownxoxo

Level 1
Verified
Sep 10, 2017
For some reason, in order to autofill i have to either a) right click and select 1Password and autofill or b) click the extension to select the account to autofill...i dont get a popup.

Also, the password generator when registering up, it much slower to access it than Dashlane that just pops up when i click on the password field...

Out from all i tried Dashlane and 1Password are the most polished one, both have cons and pros, i cant decide dammit!

If 1Password had better autofill option and Android autofill (comes with Android Oreo 8.0 version) already, i think i would pick that because it has more Login times (it even has SSH for server). But the autofill on chrome at least that i tried it on Windows was really really bad/slow

Did you try to autofill via shortcut?

reystar

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 4, 2014

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I installed bit warden and I like it because of its more simple than LP:)
I like that last pass too but I never worked with LastPass features because I didn't Need.
last pass:
More settings and more features but sometimes buggy.
Bit warden:
Simple, not buggy and more secure I guess.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I would pay for BitWarden if it was more polished.

Fortunately for you, it's free so you don't have to pay for it. You can also download the code if you wish.

That aside, what isn't polished in it? Bit Warden for being so new, is very polished and bug free. The developer has stated they are a month away from a major release that will handle secure notes and such. No plans for Safari I read, the userbase is too tiny with the difficulties in coding for it.

Unknownxoxo

Level 1
Verified
Sep 10, 2017
I think a lot of people using macOS and Safari. IMO a developer should offer Browser extensions for every Browser when releasing a product like a password manager.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Safari has a 3.87% market share, even lower than Edge. If I was a developer with limited resources or seeking profit I'd probably target Edge before I invested my resources on Safari.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Safari has a 3.87% market share, even lower than Edge. If I was a developer with limited resources or seeking profit I'd probably target Edge before I invested my resources on Safari.

Indeed, and he did target edge over Safari from the looks of it. Also he added Vivaldi, Brave, TOR browser and Opera. I suspect he will add more as time goes on. I'm anxiously awaiting the next version with Secured Notes.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Makes sense to develop for all Chromium browsers. It's basically develop once and adjust for the small differences between them.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Bit Warden had a major new release. It now supports Secured Notes, and has icons for websites and other things.

I believe it is important to move away from AWS. 1Password uses AWS and AWS Encryption API, I trust neither and especially don't trust the E-API which was co-developed with the US Govt. While Stickypassword uses AWS it doesn't use the AWS API. The only crap I would put on AWS is highly (multi) encrypted, such as with Sync.com.

BitWarden uses opensource and highly vetted encryption methodologies and has released his product opensource without any close-source aspects. He also won't use AWS and instead uses Azure. Which by most accounts, you are probably safer on. (Encryption or otherwise)

I recently read an industry report that said 35% of AWS isn't secured properly and something like 22% of privacy libraries are incorrectly configured as public-viewable.. I've been WARNING people about AWS for years now but we keep seeing more and more screwups with it. Also AWS A1 Cluster is literally plugged into the NSA... If anyone is using a password manager that uses AWS you'd probably be wise to consider one that doesn't. Misconfigured buckets is the least of AWS issues right now and Amazon knows it.

Misconfigured Amazon S3 Buckets allowing man-in-the-middle attacks

DXC spills AWS private keys on public GitHub

Another misconfigured Amazon S3 server leaks data of 50,000 Australian employees

Data Pours from Cloud—And 'The Enemy is Us'

Last edited by a moderator:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Bit Warden had a major new release. It now supports Secured Notes, and has icons for websites and other things.

I believe it is important to move away from AWS. 1Password uses AWS and AWS Encryption API, I trust neither and especially don't trust the E-API which was co-developed with the US Govt. While Stickypassword uses AWS it doesn't use the AWS API. The only crap I would put on AWS is highly (multi) encrypted, such as with Sync.com.

BitWarden uses opensource and highly vetted encryption methodologies and has released his product opensource without any close-source aspects. He also won't use AWS and instead uses Azure. Which by most accounts, you are probably safer on. (Encryption or otherwise)

I recently read an industry report that said 35% of AWS isn't secured properly and something like 22% of privacy libraries are incorrectly configured as public-viewable.. I've been WARNING people about AWS for years now but we keep seeing more and more screwups with it. Also AWS A1 Cluster is literally plugged into the NSA... If anyone is using a password manager that uses AWS you'd probably be wise to consider one that doesn't. Misconfigured buckets is the least of AWS issues right now and Amazon knows it.

Misconfigured Amazon S3 Buckets allowing man-in-the-middle attacks

DXC spills AWS private keys on public GitHub

Another misconfigured Amazon S3 server leaks data of 50,000 Australian employees

Data Pours from Cloud—And 'The Enemy is Us'
Thanks for the update about Bit Warden and info about AWS.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017

Thanks for this update. I signed up for a Bitwarden account and paid $10 to experience their premium service for a year. So far so good.

Reactions: XhenEd and Garzaman
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.