Time to say goodbye to Webroot

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Perhaps Webroot is not down to its last breath, after all — if, granted, Carbonite can survive these knocks and bruises ;)

Oh wow, I was not aware it was that bad.

Of course, I don't really hang out at Kool-Aidville..

Certainly more competition is a good thing.

But Muddy, if Webroot failed, you could put your effort and talent behind an actually good product. ESET, Norton, Bitdefender.... that could be so much more satisfying for you.

I'm just sayin'...

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I'm currently testing this antivirus. The only thing I notice is that the system is slower... it will be until the antivirus has scanned everything in the pc? I don't know. In terms of detection I can not say anything because I change antivirus continuously and do not give them time in my system to have an opinion.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I'm currently testing this antivirus. The only thing I notice is that the system is slower... it will be until the antivirus has scanned everything in the pc? I don't know. In terms of detection I can not say anything because I change antivirus continuously and do not give them time in my system to have an opinion.
It's analyzing files and you may have to whitelist some of them yourself...This can cause initial slowdowns but it will settle down.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I'm sure there are... but I am only careful with social engineering and little more... that is to say, my needs as a user are not the same as yours and yours are not the same as those of another user. As for viruses, etc., that doesn't worry me,
Indeed if it suits your needs go for it.. (y)

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I do not have a formed opinion, as I said before, of the product. As far as the tests are of a corporation or here the ones of the forum do not serve me as reference. Each pc is a world and I only look for the antivirus that best suits my needs.

Fair enough.

My dog's computer just needs virus protection.

Webroot doesn't really do that.

1571608588198.png

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
The issue of viruses does not worry me because it is with basic or advanced tools the PC is disinfected. The issue of ransomware I have backups that I think is the best defense against this type of malware. The only thing I notice is where I register, the problem is not on my PC but on the servers where I register, such as email services that are then hacked and the data is sold or once the pirates have committed their intention They are put on the net. Faced with that, regularly change passwords and activate in all sites that allow two-step authentication.
This is what I think, I am a basic user I clarify, maybe others with more knowledge have a stronger opinion.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@Lobito Punky Quite a few people here have a very negative opinion of Webroot for two reasons. Firstly, it consistently does terribly in testing. It does worse than big name antiviruses. Usually much worse. Secondly, even though it's definitely not a good antivirus, there are some die hard fans of it, who insist it is an excellent product, no matter how much evidence they are given to the contrary. When told that it consistently does badly when testing, they say that testing doesn't matter. Some even insist that those who criticise Webroot, just don't understand how it works. Which is ridiculous, as the evidence is very clear that it does terribly at detecting recent malware. I've never seen any other antivirus have die hard fans that blindly keep insisting that it works well, when it doesn't.

You only have to have a look in the MalwareHub here and see how badly it does. The best I've seen it do is to detect just over half the malware samples it was tested against. On the other hand, some of the big name antiviruses often detect just about every single malware sample.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Some even insist that those who criticise Webroot, just don't understand how it works

I know the source of this rationalization and I never took this line of thinking at face value. If advanced users "don't understand how it works," how are average-to-clueless users supposed to know? Statements like that do no one any good.

By the way, still working on getting my Webroot CD out of the jewel case. Been at it about 6 months now, it's a-comin along. Yep, uh huh.

th7K1NKYUV.jpg

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I never said I don't understand how this antivirus works, I just said I installed it and I'm testing it. And as I said before I noticed other things than virus detection so I change my antivirus many times.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.