Time to say goodbye to Webroot

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I've seen on this form many threads heavily criticizing Webroot. The SecureAnywhere 2020 is having good reviews: Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus Review

Is it still as bad as people say? I do like that is very light...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and stefanos

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
If you think Webroot is good, why do you let others opinion's get in the way? (ie. above).
I like the fact it's very light, 4MB and very low CPU and Ram usage. I don't know if it's good or not, that's a entirely different matter.
They claim being the lightest, but are they actually lighter than Windows Defender? Or only lighter than other third party AVs?

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
They claim being the lightest, but are they actually lighter than Windows Defender? Or only lighter than other third party AVs?
It's not hard to be lighter than Windows Defender. As for other antiviruses, there are several antiviruses that are always extremely light. At best, it's probably about the same as them in terms of lightness.

Antus67

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
In all fairness Webroot is one of the lightest AV due to fact everything is done in the cloud. Their scan is extremly fast a it scans all processess, however their downfall is ones files are not scanned. They boast on being one of the best on the web (marketing is good pushing their product).
however at best that's questionable. I belonged to their forum a few years back at that point in time they appeared to be a excellent forum, however as time progressed the decline was event. A lot of good people left including me as we had a new chain of command which treated us badly. Webroot was sold and now under a new regime................only time will tell how well they will progress.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
It's not hard to be lighter than Windows Defender. As for other antiviruses, there are several antiviruses that are always extremely light. At best, it's probably about the same as them in terms of lightness.
I've always heard that Windows Defender was light, due to being built-in, part of windows.

Reactions: Nevi and stefanos

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
It's light for some people and heavy for others. In my case, I don't use on any of my computers, as it causes slowdowns.

Same here... it slowed down access to any folder that has a ton of files... not only executables. For now 3rd party offers better performance for me. Maybe if Microsoft makes some smart caching in a future release. Of course what happens in my machine wont necessarily happen in yours so test it anyway :)

Muddy7

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
their downfall is ones files are not scanned
Hi Anthony.
I have scheduled my scan for only once a week. I believe the only reason Prevx configured their programme to do a daily scan was because it was perceived as desirable by users — a practice continued after its acquisition by Webroot. I also recall reading somewhere that there is a debate among Webroot developers as to whether the scheduled scan is strictly necessary at all.
I'm sure most people here know the Webroot scan (as is true with many AVs, I believe) is a smart scan. Webroot already has an inventory of every executable and system file on the drive. Any that are not known to be good are monitored, any that are known to be good but are subsequently modified will begin to be monitored — and ditto of course for any unknown new executable entering the system.
Basically, Webroot's approach: any activity that is unknown is closely monitored.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I found Webroot the lightest AV I had ever used, and Windows Defender the heaviest. My problem with Webroot was mysterious FP's and breakage of multiple portable softwares, which couldn't be fixed with whitelisting. I'm using WD despite its heaviness because it doesn't give many FP's or interfere with my usual software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.