Advanced Security timothytimes's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Jan 8, 2025
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
Not applicable
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Disabled
Real-time protection
McAfee Internet Security (1.35.148.1)
Device firewall
Other - Internet Security (3rd-party)
Custom security settings
O&O ShutUp10++: almost all the recommended settings
Periodic malware scanners
Adwcleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
-
Browsers and extensions
Librewolf 146.0.1-1
Extensions: Bitwarden, uBlock Origin (filters, medium mode), bypass paywalls clean, McAfee WebAdvisor
Search engine: Google
Secure DNS
Desktop VPN
self-host vless-xhttp-reality
Password and passkey manager
Bitwarden (desktop application and browser extension) and KeePass 2 (for backups)
Maintenance tools
Privazer
File and photo backups
MEGA
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
-
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Visiting unknown or untrusted websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Downloading files from unknown or untrusted sources
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Gaming
    • Gaming with third-party mods
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming from untrusted sites
Computer specs
AMD Ryzen 5 6600H, GTX 3050Ti, 16Gb DDR5, 512Gb SSD – laptop HP Victus 16-e1049ci (6M8B1EA)
Feedback preference

Suggestions on the main improvements

I'm not either but I found this on Reddit Who knows what to believe on R when there are no references/documentation.

I believe if you select "Custom", Cookies -> "All 3rd party cookies" and Tracking content -> "In all windows" it is at least as strong if not more so. Website breakage could occur but I've never encountered any while blocking 3rd party cookies.

In the end I think it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. FF strict is very good protection with recent developments.

I personally will stick with strict as it barely gives me any problems and because I think that there is a reason why Mozilla is telling us to use the strict profile in order to make dFPI work.
 
I personally will stick with strict as it barely gives me any problems and because I think that there is a reason why Mozilla is telling us to use the strict profile in order to make dFPI work.
Indeed, as I mentioned (or intended) in my follow-up post, since Custom defaults to Private Browsing Mode. There's no clear indication by Mozilla about Custom -> Tracking content ->"In all windows" setting.
 
Last edited:
FYI, If you've picked up cross-site trackers and you're using the Standard setting, you might see a little icon in Firefox's address bar like in my spoiler here.

What do you think of this comment?


If you think I'm arguing to maintain my point, that's actually not the case (lol). I 'd welcome any clarification about this if it's justified. Actually, I found this topic very intriguing when it first was addressed back in April 2021 on Wilders but nothing's set in stone when it comes to Firefox.

If the Strict setting is the only one to handle this kind of cookie blocking, then good, the discussion can end right there. And frankly, I would not expect someone to deviate from what Moz itself is telling one about this issue (that is: to use the Strict setting). Ultimately, It's not about influencing who does what where in the Settings but seeing an issue from more than one perspective.

I learned the hard way not to block all third party cookies. You just never know and it's a total nuisance to drop whatever you're doing and go rummaging around in the browser to undo this or that setting.

Thanks for bringing up this interesting subject again. Well....at least I find it interesting. :geek::coffee:
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top