Status
Not open for further replies.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I used tw on two PCs, but on a PC with emisi installed, I noticed that there were cases where selecting an application to be excluded was not reflected in the rules. I guess it is probably not coexisting well with emisi's fw monitoring function.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Thread author
Well, if there are problems and you report them, hopefully I can get rid of the problems :)
I got this error if i try to allow a program from network log:
Informationen über das Aufrufen von JIT-Debuggen
anstelle dieses Dialogfelds finden Sie am Ende dieser Meldung.

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.InvalidCastException: Das Objekt des Typs "System.Int32" kann nicht in Typ "TinyWall.Interface.ServerConfiguration" umgewandelt werden.
bei TinyWall.Interface.Controller.SetServerConfig(ServerConfiguration& serverConfig, Guid& changeset, ServerState& serverState)
bei PKSoft.TinyWallController.ApplyFirewallSettings(ServerConfiguration srvConfig, Boolean showUI)
bei PKSoft.TinyWallController.AddNewException(FirewallExceptionV3 fwex)
bei PKSoft.TinyWallController.AddExceptionList(List`1 list)
bei PKSoft.ConnectionsForm.mnuUnblock_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
Assembly-Version: 4.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 4.8.4150.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
TinyWall
Assembly-Version: 2.99.15.0.
Win32-Version: 2.99.15.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/TinyWall/TinyWall.exe.
System.ServiceProcess
Win32-Version: 4.8.3752.0 built by: NET48REL1.
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ServiceProcess/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.ServiceProcess.dll.
System
Win32-Version: 4.8.4001.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C.
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
TinyWall.Interface
Assembly-Version: 1.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 1.0.0.0.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/TinyWall/TinyWall.Interface.DLL.
mscorlib.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll.
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll.
System.Core
Win32-Version: 4.8.4121.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C.
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll.
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
System.Runtime.Serialization
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll.
SMDiagnostics
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/SMDiagnostics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/SMDiagnostics.dll.
System.ServiceModel.Internals
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ServiceModel.Internals/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.ServiceModel.Internals.dll.
System.RunTime.Serialization.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.resources.dll.
TinyWall.resources
Assembly-Version: 2.99.15.0.
Win32-Version: 2.99.15.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/TinyWall/de/TinyWall.resources.DLL.
System.Management
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.

************** JIT-Debuggen **************
Um das JIT-Debuggen (Just-In-Time) zu aktivieren, muss in der
Konfigurationsdatei der Anwendung oder des Computers
(machine.config) der jitDebugging-Wert im Abschnitt system.windows.forms festgelegt werden.
Die Anwendung muss mit aktiviertem Debuggen kompiliert werden.

Zum Beispiel:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Wenn das JIT-Debuggen aktiviert ist, werden alle nicht behandelten
Ausnahmen an den JIT-Debugger gesendet, der auf dem
Computer registriert ist, und nicht in diesem Dialogfeld behandelt.

ultim

Level 2
Oct 13, 2011
I used tw on two PCs, but on a PC with emisi installed, I noticed that there were cases where selecting an application to be excluded was not reflected in the rules. I guess it is probably not coexisting well with emisi's fw monitoring function.
I did a 5-min test. I installed Emisoft Anti-Malware on a Win8.1 VM, then I installed TinyWall. For now I couldn't see any compatibility problems. Firefox decided to update itself which Emsisoft overzealously blocked in the middle, and that resulted in Firefox running in some kind of ghost process from a non-existing file on the disk. That made it impossible to whitelist Firefox in TinyWall as there was no corresponding file on the drive. This was still the case even after closing and reopening Firefox (yeah, weird). After a reboot of the VM everything solved itself though, Firefox was again running from its usual path (C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe) and it could again be whitelisted.

In other words, aside from some glitch which was seemed to be caused by Emsisoft interfering with the browser's self-update, it seems for now TinyWall and Emsisoft can be run in parallel.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I did a 5-min test. I installed Emisoft Anti-Malware on a Windows 8.1 VM, then I installed TinyWall. For now I couldn't see any compatibility problems. Firefox decided to update itself which Emsisoft overzealously blocked in the middle, and that resulted in Firefox running in some kind of ghost process from a non-existing file on the disk. That made it impossible to whitelist Firefox in TinyWall as there was no corresponding file on the drive. This was still the case even after closing and reopening Firefox (yeah, weird). After a reboot of the VM everything solved itself though, Firefox was again running from its usual path (C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe) and it could again be whitelisted.

In other words, aside from some glitch which was seemed to be caused by Emsisoft interfering with the browser's self-update, it seems for now TinyWall and Emsisoft can be run in parallel.
I am using Windows10 1909 environment. Most of the software applies the rules without any problems. However, only 'Microsoft Store' can not connect in the environment where tw is installed. I cannot connect even if you register the software by specifying it. The results were the same for automatic rule creation. To be precise, the rules are written but cannot be connected.
This problem does not occur on the PC using Defender.

ultim

Level 2
Oct 13, 2011
I don't have a Win10 VM right now, and Emsisoft is not installed on my work machine, but I can whitelist Windows Store there easily and it works. I tried the same thing in the Win8.1 VM too (where Emsisoft is installed), went to TinyWall->Whitelist by process->winstore, and the store worked and I could log in and install apps. there.

I'm not sure if will make a difference in your case, but just to be sure: Is the "Windows Store Update" special exception enabled?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I don't have a Windows 10 VM right now, and Emsisoft is not installed on my work machine, but I can whitelist Windows Store there easily and it works. I tried the same thing in the Windows 8.1 VM too (where Emsisoft is installed), went to TinyWall->Whitelist by process->winstore, and the store worked and I could log in and install apps. there.

I'm not sure if will make a difference in your case, but just to be sure: Is the "Windows Store Update" special exception enabled?
Special exceptions only enabled recommendations.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
@ultim
I appreciate your concern. This is the pc ss running Emisisoft.
キャプチャ.PNG
I uninstalled tw, reset the Windows Firewall restrictions, and then installed it again. I was able to connect to the Microsoft Store without any problem right after I set it to the automatic memory state, but it will be this state when I restart it.I couldn't connect the weather report as well, but this has been resolved.

The pc running WD has no problem. This is ss of that pc.
キャプチャ2.PNG

ultim

Level 2
Oct 13, 2011
@ultim
I appreciate your concern. This is the pc ss running Emisisoft.
View attachment 234859
I uninstalled tw, reset the Windows Firewall restrictions, and then installed it again. I was able to connect to the Microsoft Store without any problem right after I set it to the automatic memory state, but it will be this state when I restart it.I couldn't connect the weather report as well, but this has been resolved.

The pc running WD has no problem. This is ss of that pc.
View attachment 234860

Oh, ok, it seems you are not running the beta. Please install the beta (2.99.15) and whitelist the Store not as an executbale, but as a UWP-app. TinyWall 2.1 never officially supported UWP apps in the first place.

EDIT: I recognize this is an older version because the new version has a 3rd column in that list. See:
showzi.jpg

Last edited:

ultim

Level 2
Oct 13, 2011
Hello Everybody,
As a token of thanks for everybody here helping me out, I would like to offer you a small utility I've written. You'll love it if you ever wished you could easily download music and video from various websites.

PM me if you'd like access. After a week only donators will have access.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I have installed and tried beta version 2.99.15.:)(y)
The PC with the problem with the UWP application will display a message immediately after installation, such as 'Cannot start because required data cannot be found'. We reset the built-in fw settings just in case, but there was no improvement. When transitioning from stable to beta, how do you best handle uninstalling the stabilizer? Overwrite recommended?:unsure:

ultim

Level 2
Oct 13, 2011
The PC with the problem with the UWP application will display a message immediately after installation, such as 'Cannot start because required data cannot be found'.
What displayed this message? TinyWall's installer? Or TinyWall itself? Or something completely else? The only similar message in TinyWall is "Database is missing or corrupt.", but that seems to be a different message (or maybe the same but original meaning lost in translation?).

When transitioning from stable to beta, how do you best handle uninstalling the stabilizer? Overwrite recommended?:unsure:
You can/should just install the beta while 2.1 is installed. It will automatically upgrade the version AND migrate your firewall settings. It is unnecessary to uninstall the older version first.
Downgrading is a different story: To downgrade, you need to uninstall the newer version first and then install the old version.

It is very important in general, that you only use the installer and uninstaller to install, remove and upgrade. Never try to upgrade or remove the files manually without using the (un)installer. This is of course true for all other security software too that have non-trivial integration with the system, but I need to point out TinyWall is no exception. You haven't done any manual file deletions or upgrades have you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.