Hot Take Tired of YouTube ads? Try NewPipe for Android

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Just wanted to share that NewPipe has progressed a lot lately and I feel comfortable to actually recommend it. NewPipe is light frontend for YouTube, which blocks all ads and allows videos to play in the background.

1. Install F-Droid on your Android F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository
2. Install NewPipe thought F-Droid
3. (optional) import subscriptions from your YouTube account
4. Tweak settings and tabs

The only downside for some people are next:
- You can't sync your subscription and playlists
- There is no comments (?)

I gave up simply after getting 3 video ads in the row. If you enjoy NewPipe - remember to donate to them NewPipe - a free YouTube client

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The cons are a dealbreaker.

Brave for Android with experimental Background Video Playback is an alternative for YouTube Music. Unfortunately, that isn't available for iOS. Brave Playlists is available for iOS users.

YouTube Premium is anti-consumer, in my opinion. Never pay for the Ad-Free version if you're still getting personalised Ads and Tracked elsewhere on Google. YouTube also takes a 30% cut from Channel Memberships, on top of your Premium subscription.

Last edited:

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
L

Local Host

Vanced is much better since it's a custom YouTube apk
I agree, Vanced is miles ahead.

I wouldn't trust them with a Google Account though.
cercube for ios
if you don't like it, use safari with adguard
Unfortunally Google has been sabotaging YouTube on third-party browsers as always, normally I would use Edge + Adguard on Android, but the last few weeks it's impossible to use it (without massive freezes) unless I spoof my user agent to Chrome.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
The only downside for some people are next:
- You can't sync your subscription and playlists
- There is no comments (?)
Sorry but.....

NewPipe Advantages:
You can import your subscriptions and playlists from Youtube and Soundcloud.
You can create new channel groups.
You can export subscriptions
You can bookmark, create and add to playlists
*You can download videos & transfer them to your device*
You can view videos without advertisements
You can play audio/video in the background when screen is locked
You can pop-out videos over apps.
You can access history of played list
......many more

NewPipe Disavantages
You can only view/read comments, you can't post comments or like videos. It tries to stay away from Google this way.
No personal recommended videos (good or bad?) as it doesn't track your behavior. Only trending videos are shown, choose your geo-location for the same.

Youtube Vanced Disadvantages
It integrates with Google (good or bad?) and you can post comments and like videos. However, you have to install another application called MicroG for this.
You can't download videos & transfer them to your device. Only offline playing is available.

This is the trade-off, so make your choice. Both are equally good and better than Youtube, however I use NewPipe as it fits my needs better.

Last edited:

blacksheep

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Sorry but.....

NewPipe Advantages:
You can import your subscriptions and playlists from Youtube and Soundcloud.
You can create new channel groups.
You can export subscriptions
You can bookmark, create and add to playlists
*You can download videos & transfer them to your device*
You can view videos without advertisements
You can play audio/video in the background when screen is locked
You can pop-out videos over apps.
You can access history of played list
......many more

NewPipe Disavantages
You can only view/read comments, you can't post comments or like videos. It tries to stay away from Google this way.
No personal recommended videos (good or bad?) as it doesn't track your behavior. Only trending videos are shown, choose your geo-location for the same.

Youtube Vanced Disadvantages
It integrates with Google (good or bad?) and you can post comments and like videos. However, you have to install another application called MicroG for this.
You can't download videos & transfer them to your device. Only offline playing is available.

This is the trade-off, so make your choice. Both are equally good and better than Youtube, however I use NewPipe as it fits my needs better.
Notice what I am saying about "sync" not "exporting". Two different things. First one does not require any move, second one is manual chore.
Anyways I don't need this, but I know people who are not using NewPipe due this.

I agree, Vanced is miles ahead.

I wouldn't trust them with a Google Account though.

Unfortunally Google has been sabotaging YouTube on third-party browsers as always, normally I would use Edge + Adguard on Android, but the last few weeks it's impossible to use it (without massive freezes) unless I spoof my user agent to Chrome.
I failed to install it on my another Android phone and I am not ready to share my Google account with them. They might get more attention and trust, if their app appears in F-Droid. I am still not sure, why it's not published there...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
exactly. That's why I can only use customized clients of youtube's official app in my devices. Browser-based clients are too clunky
Youtube vanced + microG on android
Cercube on iOS (sideloaded, refreshed every 7 days to prevent certificate revocation)

they are official YT apps with extra features and free of ads

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Notice what I am saying about "sync" not "exporting". Two different things. First one does not require any move, second one is manual chore.
Anyways I don't need this, but I know people who are not using NewPipe due this.

I failed to install it on my another Android phone and I am not ready to share my Google account with them. They might get more attention and trust, if their app appears in F-Droid. I am still not sure, why it's not published there...
F-Droid only allows open source apps. Vanced is a modification of closed source youtube app.

L

Local Host

@jackuars most of the advantages you listed are more of a chore, rather than actual advantage (you bolded the download feature, which I don't understand, is a feature even in the original Youtube APP).

As Vanced works exactly the same as the original Youtube APP with addicional features and entirely unlocked (incl. your own account, with access to playlists, etc.).

To make matters worse, Newpipe only works with embedded youtube videos and their search engine is extremely weak (unable to list the majorly of videos and channels).

Newpipe is fine if you find yourself restricted to a specific playlist, but if you wanna use broader Youtube features (like finding new content and channels) is pretty weak.

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

I am using Newpipe since last year. I also tried Vanced but couldn't open it on my Samsung A50, everytime i tried to open it crashed.
@jackuars most of the advantages you listed are more of a chore, rather than actual advantage (you bolded the download feature, which I don't understand, is a feature even in the original Youtube APP).
Last time I used Youtube, you have to download your videos again after 30 days and you can't transfer them to laptop or desktop. Newpipe allows you to download video in all video resolutions available and also as an audio file. You can even download subtitles. This is the reason I use Newpipe as I can download video lectures from MIT OCW and sometimes songs. For rest there is VLC, I don't have use any streaming app for songs. If you have limited mobile data I would highly recommend Newpipe.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

As Vanced works exactly the same as the original Youtube APP with addicional features and entirely unlocked (incl. your own account, with access to playlists, etc.).

To make matters worse, Newpipe only works with embedded youtube videos and their search engine is extremely weak (unable to list the majorly of videos and channels).

Newpipe is fine if you find yourself restricted to a specific playlist, but if you wanna use broader Youtube features (like finding new content and channels) is pretty weak.

I am using Newpipe since last year. I also tried Vanced but couldn't open it on my Samsung A50, everytime i tried to open it crashed.

Last time I used Youtube, you have to download your videos again after 30 days and you can't transfer them to laptop or desktop. Newpipe allows you to download video in all video resolutions available and also as an audio file. You can even download subtitles. This is the reason I use Newpipe as I can download video lectures from MIT OCW and sometimes songs. For rest there is VLC, I don't have use any streaming app for songs. If you have limited mobile data I would highly recommend Newpipe.
This. You can download files physically in any resolution you want as video or audio (with multi-threading and full subtitles), transfer them between devices and play in any media player not just on Youtube or browser.

Not sure about the search engine quality, I don't subscribe to many channels, but if you could list a few that NewPipe doesn't recognize, I could help to improve their product.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.