Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
NPE, ZAM, Eset Online Scanner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Cent browser 64 bit, Adguard extension
Scriptsafe and Minerblock are running on specific sites,most of the time are turned off.
Maintenance tools
Windows built in disk cleaner and Wise disk cleaner.
File and Photo backup
Macrium free, Aomei backup standard
System recovery
Macrium free, Aomei backup standard
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400
RAM: 4 GB DDR2
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120 GB

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
It would be interesting to harden Your system (MSE alone?), if You want to keep a light system You may pair MSE with NVT OSA and/or apply NVT SysHardener tweaks, and/or install a free antivirus Avast! Free, Kaspersky Free/Kaspersky Security Cloud Free (tweaked)... thanks for sharing :giggle:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It would be interesting to harden Your system (MSE alone?), if You want to keep a light system You may pair MSE with NVT OSA and/or apply NVT SysHardener tweaks, and/or install a free antivirus Avast! Free, Kaspersky Free/Kaspersky Security Cloud Free (tweaked)... thanks for sharing :giggle:

Hard_Configurator is another option. It has predefined profiles for W7+. (y)

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Sorry guys i forgot to mention that i have Sys Hardener installed.
I have tried both Avast and KSC but i have some problems with them.
Avast ads are annoying me and KSC is a bit heavy for my old laptop.
I have edited the thread.
Thanks for your replies

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
MSE is unfortunately much worse than WD in Windows 10. I would recommend BD Free (my go-to recommendation) or KFA (if you want more customization).
Why Cent Browser? It's a small Chromium browser which leaves me worried regarding updates.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
MSE is unfortunately much worse than WD in Windows 10. I would recommend BD Free (my go-to recommendation) or KFA (if you want more customization).
Why Cent Browser? It's a small Chromium browser which leaves me worried regarding updates.
Because cent browser has memory purge feature, its much lighter than chrome

Also mse is much lighter than any 3rd party av on that old laptop, i doubt hes gonna add anti-exe because he have syshardener over OSA as example, wich can do pretty much same

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Because cent browser has memory purge feature, its much lighter than chrome
It makes sense then.
Also mse is much lighter than any 3rd party av on that old laptop, i doubt hes gonna add anti-exe because he have syshardener over OSA as example, wich can do pretty much same
Yeah I know it's a very light AV, but it had no cloud protection or behavior blocker the last time I checked. Is it still the case these days?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
It makes sense then.

Yeah I know it's a very light AV, but it had no cloud protection or behavior blocker the last time I checked. Is it still the case these days?
Well i would take the bitdefender over MSE, but im not sure how it will run....toni probably have tried that:unsure:

Also about the cent , ''much lighter'' is bit incorrect but it has alot settings to play with and tweak wich makes it 'lighter'

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Moonhorse you got me covered with your answer.
As for MSE i just want to have a light signature based av since i have safe browsing habits.
If i want to do something that's a little risky i use Shadow Defender.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
@Moonhorse you got me covered with your answer.
As for MSE i just want to have a light signature based av since i have safe browsing habits.
If i want to do something that's a little risky i use Shadow Defender.
That's a very safe habit. Also make sure to check Virus Total when running downloaded files without Shadow Defender.

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I should mention some other software that i have installed.
On C: 7-zip, Shadow Defender and of course the others i already mentioned.
Portable software on an external hdd:
Cleammem, Everything, IM-Partition resizer Free ,CCleaner, HW monitor, Potplayer, Process Explorer.
Also there are CPU balance and Windscribe free.
That's it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

My advice:

1- create SUA
2- on it, UAC at max

Just this will greatly reduce malware attempts to run.

3- then remove MSE and use a good OD scanner.
4- add OSA, learn the advanced settings. Apply some of them. Learn to create custom blocks.

By doing this you lighten your system, no more on-access real-time BS that slow the system.

5- You have shadow defender, use it on boot. You want keep files? Scan them then upload to cloud.

Now you won't even care of infections, keyloggers and scripts ? OSA will block them.

You can't have lighter and more efficient than this, sure it needs some training but since you are here, you will get all the help you need.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.