Advice Request Top 3 User, Security & Privacy Features in Microsoft Edge - Opinion

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Here are my top 3 best features in Microsoft Edge, all opinions are my own. Yours views will differ.

Top 3 User Features​

1. Web Capture (Ctrl+Shift+S)
    • Easily select and snap portion of the web page, or grab the whole screen.
    • One-click copy to clipboard - no time wasted with third-party tools or saving image to desktop.
    • Ability to add notes
  2. Collections
    • Quickly save web sites in categorised and organised groups. Better than bookmarks.
    • Opt-in Pinterest integration
    • Syncs with account so you will never lose them
  3. Vertical Tabs
    • Ideal for wide screen, and can be unpinned/hidden/off for more screen real-estate.

Top 3 Security Features​

1. Microsoft Defender SmartScreen with AppRep
  2. Based on Chromium, always up to date and supported by Microsoft, Google and the open-source community
  3. Password Monitor (coming soon)

Top 3 Privacy Features​

1. Built-in Adblocking (Android version)
  2. Built-in Tracking Protection
  3. Separate Profiles for Work/School

Top 3 Data Collection Downfalls​

1. Collection of basic diagnostic data is required
  2. Additional diagnostic data can be used for a personalised experience
  3. Integrations with third-party services
    • On Android version: AdBlock Plus, Pinterest, Honey, NewsGuard
    • Search: Bing.com is the default.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I love Vertical Tabs, but for now, it is only available via flags, which finally, after reading this post, I decided to try again. It seems it will be some time for MS to roll out this feature finally.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019

Top 3 User Features​

1. Microsoft Defender Application Guard
    • No hassle VM sandbox for browser
    • Persistent data option to keep settings and extensions
    • Configurable exchange surface (I only allow clipboard to interact with real system)
  2. Collections
    • Quickly save web sites in categorised and organised groups. Better than bookmarks.
  3. Vertical Tabs
    • Ideal for wide screen, and can be unpinned/hidden/off for more screen real-estate.

Top 3 Security Features​

1. Code integrity for renderer processed can be set for all Edge processes with Microsoft Defender Exploit Protetion
  2. Auto de-elevation of Edge main browser process (which runs with medium integrity level rghts)
  3. Separate profiles (default - strict - sandboxed) with different site permissions settings (default - blocked) for different browsing purposes

Top 3 Privacy Features​

1. Auto delete history function at browser close
  2. Built-in Tracking Protection
  3. Separate profiles (default - strict - sandboxed) with different tracking protection settings (default - strict) and password settings (enable - disable save and signin) for different browsing purposes

Top 3 Data Collection Downfalls​

1. Collection of basic diagnostic data is required
  2. SmartScreen monitors URL's
  3. Microsoft makes it easier and easier to log into apps on Windows10, making it harder and harder to prevent logging into your browser to prevent syncing data of (all) your device ID's to your user ID

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.