Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
AdwCleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge: N/A.
Internet Explorer: Norton IdentitySafe.
Vivaldi: uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Norton Toolbar, Norton IdentitySafe and Norton Default Search Engine.
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Windows Disk Clean-up, Norton Security, Revo Uninstaller (MT Giveaway), Internet Download Manager (MT Giveaway).
File and Photo backup
OneDrive and File History
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper Standard
I

illumination

Thread author
Does anyone know a way to harden Microsoft Edge?
I hear pouring concrete on it will do the trick ;) :D

On a serious note, Edge is pretty well hardened already, with its sandbox "not quite industry standard but implemented",and exploit mitigation techniques. The two plugins installed already "flash and PDF" are run in appcontainer. It has a way to go yet, but out of the box pretty much is on par with Google Chrome. Extension support and continued development shall further enhance this.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
@illumination @Umbra Seems like a good browser, I'm liking it so far. Forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't SmartScreen use the same database as WD and SmartScreen in the browser, if so isn't it like WD it already on your PC as well as an AV, I know SmartScreen for Windows was designed to work with an AV...

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
I

illumination

Thread author
@illumination @Umbra Seems like a good browser, I'm liking it so far. Forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't SmartScreen use the same database as WD and SmartScreen in the browser, if so isn't it like WD it already on your PC as well as an AV, I know SmartScreen for Windows was designed to work with an AV...
System wide smart screen works by checking name of the file and URL of origin to see if it is in they're "Trusted" white list, much like the original smartscreen built into IE that utilizes its reputation system. A part of smart screen works in conjunction with Windows Defender.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Thinking of switching to WD when my avast! licence runs out because of its simplicity...

N

NOLF92

Thread author
How do you feel about no addons? Edge ran well when I had W10, but the no addons thing, meh...

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Unfortunately I had to remove avast! Internet Security, it was causing problems... Switched to Windows Defender

H

hjlbx

Thread author
it is good, anyway you don't have much choice about secured dns, it is Norton or Comodo.

Norton... and not COMODO.

However, Norton will block access to malware sample sites = Norton is no good if you are malware tester and procure samples from most most malware download sites (eg - Virussign, Malwr, CleanMX, etc).

If you are malware tester, then use COMODO.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Windows Defender + ZAM work quite well but you have to run a quick or full scan daily because it says you are potentially unprotected - I have to run a scan because it flustrates me when it has an explanation mark.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender + ZAM work quite well but you have to run a quick or full scan daily because it says you are potentially unprotected - I have to run a scan because it flustrates me when it has an explanation mark.
I do not experience this issue with either products mentions.

Do you run CCleaner daily?
Solution- Uncheck Windows Defender from under Applications > Utilities.

Zemana Anti-Malware has Scheduled Scans
upload_2016-1-11_14-19-28.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.