Troubleshoot Toshiba Satellite touchpad doesn't work at startup

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
touchpad features don't work
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Looked under the startup items and the ELAN touchpad is suppose to start at startup. Yesterday I turned it off but after turning it back on, it still doesn't work unless I manually go to the mouse settings
Other than that, mouse works fine with moving and clicking

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Try this. Turn computer off. Remove all attachments and the battery. Press power button for 15 seconds. Replace power connection and battery. Start Computer and press F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get into Setup. Press F9 to reset defaults. Press F10 to save changes and exit and answer yes to complete. Computer will restart.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
what changes does this make?
Try it @frogboy won't lead you astray. Then open Device manager and see if you have any yellow marks.
Capture48.JPG

Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
well, what are the default settings actually? like what if i made some changes myself that aren't related to the mouse? and where's the device manager @donetao

Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
No you can't skip that part the PC needs to be dead no power at all. So your device manger checked out ok then? Did you double click on each group to expand the driver groups? You are looking for yellow warning symbols hope you do not have any.

Upvote 0

Fiona

Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
i didn't try the restoring to default settings yet, but here is my device manager:

Attachments

• devicemanager.JPG
    devicemanager.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 522
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks for making this a team effort my Aussie friend. The old hard reset works many times. I have used it on several occasions to discharge the capacitors. The old PC is like me. It gets a brain fart and needs to power down and start over.:):):) Some times just rebooting will fix a lot of problems.
Good job @Fiona

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

BCHatesMalware

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2013
I also use a USB mouse, as I don't always trust the built-in touch-pad. I love the touch-pad, as I actually bought a USB one a long time ago, but now the laptops come with one built-in, which is very cool. Just a few thought about touch-pads and external mice. :)

And I do have a Toshiba Satellite, and particularly like the thing. Yes, it can be frustrating at times, but what computer isn't... ;) ;)

Upvote 0

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
I have a ELAN based mouse (as all of the computers in the world) the scrolling feature is controled by an app called "ETD control center" please make sure that files is runing in background also check that entry in the registry /of startup/, also make sure that the files exist under this folder "C:\Program Files\Elantech" ... finally some times reinstalling the driver may not work what you need to do is to uninstall the driver via device manager and the via control panel... hope this may work for you... it worked for me several times when elantech was still developing a driver for windows 8 (i was using a win 7 driver with windows 8 RC)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.