DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hi gents,
when i was just browsing internet today and read more about security configurations. i found a free antivirus called "TOTALAV" i did not hear about before and it has a lot of useful features bundled with it such as ransomeware protection and remote firewall so any one here tried or tested it or just it rouge AV and scam . i want to know your opinion
here is screen shot from the official website:
Link to official site: Free Antivirus 2019 – Download Free Antivirus Software & Internet Security - TotalAV.com

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It's garbage. It uses Avira signatures, but in general is a terrible product.

There's an existing thread about it, which will give you more information.

Glenn H

Oct 16, 2019
Watch these guys at TOTALAV ppl they'll burn ya. I paid something like $25 for a 12 month trial which I wasn't at all satisfied with, and then they debited my card $99 12 months later after I admonished them over their nasty product. Searching further on the net I see that I am only one of thousands unhappy with their underhanded behavior. Oh they did refund me $50. I installed their crap and uninstalled it in the same day, that's how much I was impressed with it and it cost me $49

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Watch these guys at TOTALAV ppl they'll burn ya. I paid something like $25 for a 12 month trial which I wasn't at all satisfied with, and then they debited my card $99 12 months later after I admonished them over their nasty product.
You would have needed to cancel your subscription before the 12 months and then you wouldn't have been rebilled. It's something you need to watch out for, as most software which you buy a subscription for, you are automatically billed again for when the subscription ends. Usually, even if you buy a discounted subscription, you are charged the full price when you are rebilled. As you have seen, sometimes the full price for software from less than reputable publishers is ridiculously high.

Whenever I pay for software with PayPal, I go to my PayPal account an cancel the recurring payments, so I am not rebilled.

B

BVLon

Total Defence is a bit more trustworthy than the other one. Total Defence is the new name of a company that years ago was knows as Computer Associates...It was never too popular, but at least it existed in some form.
This TotalAV is some totally unknown company, that’s popped up 2017, If I’m not mistaken. I think I will try and test Total Defence... Today I saw that it actually has scored better than McAfee and Avast... and it offers quite a lot of features.

B

BVLon

I digged in every little detail about the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I have an update on this TotalAV thing......
Please note that Total Defence is a totally different product ......unclear to me how the company will handle sophisticated infections. Nothing seems to have been provided as info and it looks like AI, ML, BB are all missing from the software.

Good detective work BVLon.

When either of these come up in the future --- and they will --- hopefully they will do a forum search and benefit from your research.

(y)

==============
Laughing.... I didn't even know that recurring PayPal payments is a thing....

So, I'll now go have a look at my PayPal account.

Update. I went to PayPal.... and sure enough, there were things listed in Automatic Payments.

I'd never actually seen the section 'Automatic Payments' -- as you have to maneuver around a little to find it.

1583287658646.png

And... there were things in there I have no idea about.... like Facebook. I don't recall ever paying Facebook anything, and I don't want them as an Active Automatic Payment.

And there was other stuff...

I encourage anybody with a PayPal account to log in, find the Automatic Payments, and clear out the dead wood.

Thanks to Roger for the tip.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
And... there were things in there I have no idea about.... like Facebook. I don't recall ever paying Facebook anything, and I don't want them as an Active Automatic Payment.
It won't be a recurring payment, it just means that whenever you make a payment from Facebook, your PayPal account will be listed as a payment method and you will be able to make the payment without signing in to it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.