Trend Micro Maximum Security 16

Product name
Trend Micro Maximum Security 16.0
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
I really like the UI but, to be honest, it takes long to open (sometime 7 secs). Sometimes it gets stuck (does not respond) and you need to terminate it using Task Manager.
Performance (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
The product offers decent BB. Unfortunately, its signatures are not that great and it depends a lot on the cloud and their BB thus generating much FPs. The web filter is decent and it literally block every single malicious URL thrown at it. It is not great when it comes to blocking PUPs (actually it is one of the worst in this category).
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Short on configuration options
    • Noticeable negative system impact
    • Irritating privacy settings
    • Not as many features as some competitors
    • Higher than average false positives
    • Can slow down your browsing speed
    • Slows down browsing the Internet
    • Significant impact while playing games
Time spent using product
Computer specs
HP Notebook 250 G7
HP Desktop 290 G1
Recommended for
  1. Inexperienced users
  2. Experienced users
  3. Financial banking or trading
Overall rating
4.00 star(s)

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Trend Micro Maximum Security offers decent protection. One of the best behavioural blockers with some kind of reputation-based prevention combined with decent web protection. If you have a powerful device, it won't slow you down but still it impacts the performance a little.

***Some important notes***

1- Most settings don't need to be changed from default as the product offer decent protection on default settings (frankly, there are no fancy settings to be modified but the protection level can be set to hyper-sensitive if you visit dodgy website but it can generate more FPs because w=it will literally block every single thing that does not exist in TM's cloud whitelist.

2- The product performance is not that bad. Actually, it is worth using because it offers decent protection and it will not confuse you with too many technical settings.

3- PUPs protection is one of the worst ever. If you watch YouTube tests you'll find that PUPs sneaks into PC and bypasses TM's protection.

main.PNG
Device.PNG
PC Health Checkup.PNGPC Health Checkup Result.PNGPC Health Checkup Details.PNG

Mute Mode Introduction.PNGMute Mode Configration.PNG

Protect Another Device.PNG
Privacy.PNG
Privacy Scanner.PNG
Social Networking Protection.PNG
Data Theft Prevention Introduction.PNGData Theft Prevention Configuration.PNG
Data.PNG
Folder Shield Introduction.PNGFolder Shield Configuartion.PNG
Secure Erase Introduction.PNGSecure Erase Configuration.PNG
Vault Introduction.PNGVault Configuration.PNG
Family Tab.PNG
Parental Controls Introduction.PNG
Protection Settings Main.PNG
Protection Settings-PC Health Checkup.PNG
Protection Settings-Schedualed Scans.PNG
Web Threats.PNG
Spam & Emailed Files.PNG
Network Settings.PNG
Other Settings-System Startup.PNG
Other Settings-Network Settings.PNG
Other Settings-Smart Protection Network.PNG
Other Settings-Password.PNG
Other Settings-Background and Animation.PNG

Trend Micro HouseCall for Home Networks scans your home network to help you answer the following questions:

• Who has connected to my home Wi-Fi network?
  • Are my home network and connected devices safe from hackers and malicious software?
  • What should I do if my network or devices are vulnerable?
Use a simple one-tap scan to detect all of the devices connected to your home network and check them for security risks.
HouseCall for Home Networks also provides helpful advice on protecting your devices and keeping your digital life safe.

• Works using intelligent network scanning technology
  • Scans devices connected to your home network
  • Finds device vulnerabilities
  • Provides helpful advice for keeping your network and devices secure
  • Gives you a report about the status of your network and devices
Scan.PNGScan Result.PNGIssues.PNGRisky Ports.PNG

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I feel bad that @Bvlon is not here anymore and this post (review) does not mean that I have taken advantage of his absence in any way. I really liked his posts and reviews. I find it weird that he is gone and that he deleted his posts.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
Good review! I especially appreciate that you took the time to screenshot all the settings/configuration pages. Really helpful for people who are unfamiliar with the program to get situated when they install it for the first time.

Even though I'm happy with Windows Defender on my personal PCs, I've been looking into a third-party AV suite for the rest of my family. I used to use Trend Micro prior to Windows 10, so I may revisit it soon.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
This happens periodically. Some of these members return, or return under different usernames - and the cycle repeats ... 😑
Yea it is very annoying but we can do nothing about it. They might have their reasons too. Life will go on no matter what.

Good review! I especially appreciate that you took the time to screenshot all the settings/configuration pages. Really helpful for people who are unfamiliar with the program to get situated when they install it for the first time.

Even though I'm happy with Windows Defender on my personal PCs, I've been looking into a third-party AV suite for the rest of my family. I used to use Trend Micro prior to Windows 10, so I may revisit it soon.

The product is very easy-to-use, so it will be a good idea to install it on family devices if PUPs are not a concern.

UI bug, poor PUP detection, lack of phishing protection without toolbar, slowing down internet speed 🙂
Btw, you may have noticed, there's no way to manually delete quarantined item. There's no delete button anywhere to clear logs and any quarantined item which is really awkward :rolleyes:
Yea the UI getting stuck is annoying, very annoying. TM toolbar does not work with Vivaldi and Brave browsers (or any chromium-based browser even though the toolbar gets automatically installed). When the toolbar is enabled, you'll notice a speed drop in while browsing (websites take longer to load).

Regarding the quarantined items, actually as long as they are stored securely, I do not care but I do agree with you that it is sth weird.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yea the UI getting stuck is annoying, very annoying. TM toolbar does not work with Vivaldi and Brave browsers (or any chromium-based browser even though the toolbar gets automatically installed). When the toolbar is enabled, you'll notice a speed drop in while browsing (websites take longer to load).
Toolars are annoying already so slowing website loading is even worse.
Regarding the quarantined items, actually as long as they are stored securely, I do not care but I do agree with you that it is sth weird.
Yes quarantined items would be secured for sure but I don't remember ever testing any AV which doesn't give users this simple option. It might not be a big deal for common people but geeks like us here in the forum who can't sleep well at night without testing AVs capabilities (😂) could be a problem.
Two days ago I literally tested Trend Micro against more than 300 malwares in a VM (Say hello to my quarantined life :)) and at the end of it my VM almost ran out of space because I couldn't delete any quarantined items.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Toolars are annoying already so slowing website loading is even worse.

Yes quarantined items would be secured for sure but I don't remember ever testing any AV which doesn't give users this simple option. It might not be a big deal for common people but geeks like us here in the forum who can't sleep well at night without testing AVs capabilities ( 😂) could be a problem.
Two days ago I literally tested Trend Micro against more than 300 malwares in a VM (Say hello to my quarantined life :)) and at the end of it my VM almost ran out of space because I couldn't delete any quarantined items.

Well, this is a nightmare, really! 300 malware in quarantine hahahah
I am sure that some people requested the option to be added.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Well, this is a nightmare, really! 300 malware in quarantine hahahah
I am sure that some people requested the option to be added.
I found the quarantine folder in Program data but there's no way to disable self protection in the UI so couldn't delete. There must be some alternative way but I did search on google but anyway it's a good product. Like you said, signature is weak but behavior blocker is solid.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I found the quarantine folder in Program data but there's no way to disable self protection in the UI so couldn't delete. There must be some alternative way but I did search on google but anyway it's a good product. Like you said, signature is weak but behavior blocker is solid.
For a normal guy it is not a problem. Who will come across 300 malware samples? LOL. But that's not an excuse. They must add the option of empty the quarantine.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
On my test computer, I have it configured to delete, rather than quarantine threats, so it's not an issue - on that computer at least.

One thing I find somewhat concerning is the detection rate. I tested it some time ago against a very large older malware pack, just with context menu scans. The initial detection rate could have been better, but in the next week or so, it detected hundreds of files that weren't initially detected. However, I've recently installed Maximum Security again and when tested against the same malware collection its detection rate is abysmal for some reason. In the week or so since I've installed it, around 20 more threats have been detected. There are nearly 9,000 threats it removed last time, that still remain.

While I have no idea what the detection rate would be if the missed threats were launched, the static detection rate is a concern.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
On my test computer, I have it configured to delete, rather than quarantine threats, so it's not an issue - on that computer at least.

One thing I find somewhat concerning is the detection rate. I tested it some time ago against a very large older malware pack, just with context menu scans. The initial detection rate could have been better, but in the next week or so, it detected hundreds of files that weren't initially detected. However, I've recently installed Maximum Security again and when tested against the same malware collection its detection rate is abysmal for some reason. In the week or so since I've installed it, around 20 more threats have been detected. There are nearly 9,000 threats it removed last time, that still remain.

While I have no idea what the detection rate would be if the missed threats were launched, the static detection rate is a concern.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly that the static detection rate is not great. But given the fact that most infections come from downloads and email attachments, TM will block most of them if not all of them with its decent web filter.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

I've noticed this variation in static detection as well. It doesn't make any sense. I also had many samples for which Virustotal shows it has signatures but not detected by the product neither in static nor after execution. Internet connection was fine so don't know why this happened.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.