App Review Trendmicro Internet Security(version 17.7)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Trend Micro Internet Security 17.7.1383
Installation (rating)
4.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
In my personal opinion, Trendmicro products were always beautiful. Options are easy to find, configuration part is proper(not too much / not lacking). But sometimes the UI animation cause error.
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Nice Web Protection and Behavior Blocker. Disadvantage in lacking Firewall, but TM has FirewallBooster feature.(never seen working😂)
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Features are considered too basic
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Antivirus capabilities are average at best
    • Mixed results from independent testing labs
    • Not as many features as some competitors
    • Can be complex in some situations
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
HP Envy bought 4 yrs ago.
CPU: i5-8265
GPU: MX150
RAM: 8GB
Storage: 256 SSD + 1TB Onedrive
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Inexperienced users
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

safetrend

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 15, 2022
Feedback on Trendmicro IS. I have used quite many products from various vendors and also got licesnes for them. I finally made a choice to use Trendmicro Internet Security mainly because (i) it's cheap(I can buy 1PC 2yr or 3pc 1yr license spending only 10~11 US Dollars. (ii) and it's stable. (iii) it's never been a bloatware(no experience of being nagged to buy 'Premier" version

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Just curious - why not using Microsoft Defender?
1. The use of RAM should not be used to determine whether an AV is light or heavy.
2. Keep mind that TM’s behavioral blocker will automatically switch to hypersensitive mode after detecting several threats. In hypersensitive mode, files that are not whitelisted in the cloud will be blocked, without considering files’ behaviors.
3. In my testing, TM’s detection rate is horrible, which is in line with AV-C’s result.

Last edited:

Claudio66

Level 1
Apr 9, 2022
I have been using Trend Micro maximum security for a month. I'm doing well but I'm not an expert so my opinion doesn't count. The tests are discordant but at the same time like the car, the car tires, the choice of computer, it's all subjective. It's also a matter of feeling. I use three different antivirus for free choice. I read, do small tests and enjoy reading expert opinions. I read Shadowra's test on this forum, Av Test's test and still chose to have TM on this computer. I don't frequent the dark web and doing quiet browsing I think all three antivirus I'm using Trend Micro, Eset and F Secure are ok. Then never say never.
Last Av test on TM.

safetrend

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 15, 2022
Just curious - why not using Microsoft Defender?
1. The use of RAM should not be used to determine whether an AV is light or heavy.
2. Keep mind that TM’s behavioral blocker will automatically switch to hypersensitive mode after detecting several threats. In hypersensitive mode, files that are not whitelisted in the cloud will be blocked, without considering files’ behaviors.
3. In my testing, TM’s detection rate is horrible, which is in line with AV-C’s result.
I understand what you mean😅. There's no 'huge' reason to give 5 stars or consider using TM. @Claudio66 said almost the same things I just wanna say. I don't want to test malware samples anymore, I don't enter dangerous website. I already know RAM doesn't directly affect user experience (bitdefender put its signature on the RAM for example), but TM has evolved in various sides except low RAM. You could read my configuration thread(Advanced Security - safetrend laptop Configuration 2022), threre's my user experience of other products. TM may not be the 'best' product, but it's made the least problem on my system. That's the reason I use it and gave 5 stars.

MS Defender is not on my consideration for similar reasons. My old laptop gets slow down and exprienced some FP when using WD. Above all, WD looks UGLY to me.

Reactions: tipo

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
I understand what you mean😅. There's no 'huge' reason to give 5 stars or consider using TM. @Claudio66 said almost the same things I just wanna say. I don't want to test malware samples anymore, I don't enter dangerous website. I already know RAM doesn't directly affect user experience (bitdefender put its signature on the RAM for example), but TM has evolved in various sides except low RAM. You could read my configuration thread(Advanced Security - safetrend laptop Configuration 2022), threre's my user experience of other products. TM may not be the 'best' product, but it's made the least problem on my system. That's the reason I use it and gave 5 stars.

MS Defender is not on my consideration for similar reasons. My old laptop gets slow down and exprienced some FP when using WD. Above all, WD looks UGLY to me.
Respect your opinion and choice.

Btw, I do not recommend AV-Test as it's less reliable than AV-Comparatives and cannot reveal the difference between products.

Reactions: safetrend and tipo

safetrend

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 15, 2022
You mean this one? It's more professionl, and it focuses on assessing enterprise solutions for dealing with APT attacks. Still, I'd like to see how the results are interpreted on MT. :)
Yes. this one. There are so-called 'traditional' AV Vendors like Bitdefender, Mcafee and Trendmicro plus Corporate/Business Only Vendors like SentinelOne or Cybereason. As you said, this test focuses on Vendors' protection product(usually XDR) against Advanced Threat. It's quite interesting that New technology equipped products like SentinelOne or Cybereason's XDR get higher scores than those of traditional Symantec, Mcafee, etc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.