Trouble with Avast Web Protection. Can I disable it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goro

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
hello every body, I have an old pc using XP sp3. You all know that MS doesn's support it any more. So I remove MSE and install avast. Its good, but I have a problem: internet connection so slow, when I disable web protection, its back to normal. I'm about to remove web protection, is it safe? Is file protection enough for protect my pc?

goro

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
my father and my brother use it. They read news, play flash games, that's all. :oops:

they only know how to turn on, turn off PC, use chrome, CCleaner. I don't think Linux is a good choice. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

LABView707

Level 3
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
my father and my brother use it. They read news, play flash games, that's all. :oops:

No one should be using XP. Might as well give them a loaded gun to play with. You can install Linux with 15 min.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

they only know how to turn on, turn off PC, use chrome, CCleaner. I don't think Linux is a good choice. :oops:

Look around the net. Linux is being recommended to everyone as an alternative to XP. Get a Chromebook then.

Reactions: avast! Protection

goro

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
I just want to find some protection for my old PC. Anyway, thank you :)

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I felt the same with Avast. I disabled web protection. Anyway I do not visit to unknown sites and I am very careful of what sites I am visiting.

Many still uses XP because it works great on low-end systems and they do no want to install Linux. ( I am one of those many but hopefully I have a good system and have Win7 on it :p )

Reactions: avast! Protection

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
hello every body, I have an old pc using XP sp3. You all know that MS doesn's support it any more. So I remove MSE and install avast. Its good, but I have a problem: internet connection so slow, when I disable web protection, its back to normal. I'm about to remove web protection, is it safe? Is file protection enough for protect my pc?
Yes, your PC should be fine even if you disable the web protection as you will still have the other layers of protection. And like others have said Windows XP is out-dated so be very careful ...

LABView707

Level 3
Verified
Aug 12, 2014
Careful does not help on exploits. No security product can patch a hole in your OS. Hackers are going after XP users. They can crawl right inside your machine undetected. At my job we took any XP machine off the network.

As in matter of fact certain ISP are not allowing users to run XP. Banking websites will not allow you to login if your using XP.

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Leveraging the topic

I have problems with Avast Online Security in Internet Explorer 11, blocked some websites that have youtube videos. Just disable that videos back working.

It would be a bug?
Disabling run the risk of phishing?

Chrome works normally.

Yile Wang

Level 1
Verified
Sep 29, 2014
The file shield is enough to protect you, and you can disable mail shield if you check email in web page.

Last edited:

titan1

Level 1
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
You can try sandboxie.search the google for sandboxie version history.I think version lower than 4.10 will get supported in xp.then if you use sandboxed browser then you can go with out the web shield if you don't do risky activities.And if you will not use web shield then better to uninstall the web shield component.Else avast will show that your pc is not fully protected.

Reactions: goro
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.