Advice Request uBlock, I exfiltrate: exploiting ad blockers with CSS

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Do I still need to enable Easylist for my country in uBlock Origin if I have already enabled a similar list in NextDNS ? Is it redundant?

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Do I still need to enable Easylist for my country in uBlock Origin if I have already enabled a similar list in NextDNS ? Is it redundant?
No, it is redundant, but ..... as a general rule of thumb it is better to:
  1. use a DNS service for blocking malware/phishing domains, don't use it for blocking advertising and tracking networks, because . . .
    • a DNS does not differentiate between first and third-party
    • a DNS can only apply simple block rules (no advanced rules and no cosmetic rules)
    • it is much more hassle to correct website breakage at the DNS than with an adblocker in your browser
  2. use an adblocker for blocking advertising/tracking networks, don't use it for malware/phishing domains, because . . .
    • the update frequency of adblock filters is to low to be effective
    • the adblock malware/phishing filterlists are tiny compared to huge bad-URL blocklists at the DNS
    • malware blocking causes more delay (CPU cycles) on your PC than malware blocking at the DNS (has many servers which do the hard work for you)
The only exception on above rules of thumb are third-party trackers which mask themselves as first-party (CNAME cloacking). These trackers can be best blocked at DNS-level. Additionally most DNS services use Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning to find new malware URL's based on traffic pattern/anomaly recognition and real time interpretation of big data.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.