New Update uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Adguard Home looks like not supported on Windows

How to set it up

Currently, you can install AdGuard Home on MacOS, Linux (x32 or x64), and Raspberry Pi. There is no need to go into technical details — we have the installation process described in the dedicated GitHub repository. Also, detailed guides on installing AG DNS to VPS and Raspberry Pi are available in our Wiki.

Unquote

Follow the instructions here. It's very easy to set it up

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
It's normal for one thing to lead to another. Everything was on topic and I explained why I had less host based filters in uBlock Origin because of simplednscrypt and now Adguard home. Then someone asked about Adguard home and it's only normal for me to answer that question and the follow up ones. Now you have started going off topic with your first comment but I didn't want to start any argument so I ignored but now that you mentioned me with another comment, I had to write this comment.
So anyway let's not start any argument here.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I think we are off topic a bit here. OK, let's get back on track.

Regarding Nano Defender for Chrome user will need to install uBO Extra separately for now as it's code in Nano Defender has been disabled because of some issue

Chromium browsers are worse for adblocking compared to Firefox where there're no problems of such. Follow this Wilder thread to have an idea. uBO extra does help in chromium browsers but even that's not enough. If Nano Defender has problems with uBO extra then simply use uBlock Origin with uBO extra.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Top tip. If your using Chromium Edge and uBlock origin. The Microsoft store still has version 1.23.0 (released 29 Nov 2019) whereas the chrome store version is 1.24.2 (released 4th January 2020. That;s had me thinking of either just installing from chrome store or using chrome itself or move back to firefox or a different browser. I may have to look at FF again.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Chromium browsers are worse for adblocking compared to Firefox where there're no problems of such. Follow this Wilder thread to have an idea. uBO extra does help in chromium browsers but even that's not enough. If Nano Defender has problems with uBO extra then simply use uBlock Origin with uBO extra.

They are discussing the less-blocking capability of uBO in Chromium vs in FF which is true as I just tested on my phone. uBO in Kiwi blocked less than 50% of what's being blocked in FF for android when tested at www.washingtonpost.com. They also discussed on this outbrain ad/tracker thing which is not being blocked. I can't find any on Kiwi/FF browsers as well.

Just a side note

However, when I installed and tested with Blackfog Privacy and Adguard (enabled DNS filtering) both for android they detected outbrain from www.washingtonpost.com

See the attached screenshot events captured by BFP and Adguard

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200125_205531_com.blackfog.privacy.jpg
    Screenshot_20200125_205531_com.blackfog.privacy.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Screenshot_20200125_210940_com.adguard.android.jpg
    Screenshot_20200125_210940_com.adguard.android.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
They are discussing the less-blocking capability of uBO in Chromium vs in FF which is true as I just tested on my phone. uBO in Kiwi blocked less than 50% of what's being blocked in FF for android when tested at www.washingtonpost.com. They also discussed on this outbrain ad/tracker thing which is not being blocked. I can't find any on Kiwi/FF browsers as well.

Just a side note

However, when I installed and tested with Blackfog Privacy and Adguard (enabled DNS filtering) both for android they detected outbrain from www.washingtonpost.com

See the attached screenshot events captured by BFP and Adguard
Nice observations. In my case I don't see the outrain domain either in uBlock Origin log nor in my DNS queries when I load it in Firefox but when I load it in chromium I'm seeing outbrain in dns queries. So in Firefox the site totally failed to create connection. Tested multiple times but same result.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@SeriousHoax

Nice find (y) maybe outbrain.com is blockedin Firefox, because FF ant0-tracking using the block-list of Disconnect and outbrain is on the simple-ad block-list of Disconnect.

1579990555906.png

Edge-chromium anti-tracking is also based on Disconnect, so probably outbrain.com is blocked by Edge-Chromium also.

Easylist also contains outbrain.com, so Brave and Opera users using the build-in blocker are probably also benefiting of the special access (API) the build-in blocker can use (probably earlier/better than the default API other chrome extensions can use).

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax

Nice find (y) maybe outbrain.com is blockedin Firefox, because FF ant0-tracking using the block-list of Disconnect and outbrain is on the simple-ad block-list of Disconnect.

View attachment 232817

Edge-chromium anti-tracking is also based on Disconnect, so probably outbrain.com is blocked by Edge-Chromium also.

Easylist also contains outbrain.com, so Brave and Opera users using the build-in blocker are probably also benefiting of the special access (API) the build-in blocker can use (probably earlier/better than the default API other chrome extensions can use).
No that's not the case actually. I don't use Firefox's tracking protection and outbrain isn't in my uBlock log either but every ads were blocked and they couldn't make any dns queries. But in Chromium Edge outbrain is blocked in my dns and not just outbrain but also several other ad domains did. Everything is perfectly blocked in Firefox but as the user "HarborFront" mentioned in washingtonpost 50% things aren't blocked in Chromium even with uBlock Origin enabled. It is known that Chromium has some limitations when it comes to adblocing extensions and washingtonpost is taking full advantage of it.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
You Tube errors using u Block? Noticed it this week.

I had one that came up with an error but it was only because it was an over 18 video and I just needed to sign in to play it ;) Not sure if it was ublock specific or not as I use it in Medium mode.

F

ForgottenSeer 77591

I had one that came up with an error but it was only because it was an over 18 video and I just needed to sign in to play it ;) Not sure if it was ublock specific or not as I use it in Medium mode.
Its not only u Block.Others have posted on reddit but I cannot find any posts on other forums.We wait.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
1583592648076.png

I'm using uBO.

And I'm using uBO Extra. I think uBO-E often stops stuff like this if it is included in the limited uBO-E list.

And it is.

1583592818269.png

Experimentally, I tried Adguard and Ghostery to see if I could stop the ad-blocker blocker.

No go. (with the basic load of filters)

Rather than having to turn off all adblockers.... anybody got a way to block this one?

Here is a link:

1583593281674.png

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

View attachment 234523

I'm using uBO.

And I'm using uBO Extra. I think uBO-E often stops stuff like this if it is included in the limited uBO-E list.

And it is.

View attachment 234524

Experimentally, I tried Adguard and Ghostery to see if I could stop the ad-blocker blocker.

No go. (with the basic load of filters)

Rather than having to turn off all adblockers.... anybody got a way to block this one?
Easy way. Just disable JavaScript.
I open the site for first time, and don't see anything:
salon.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.