New Update uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I think it has little to nothing to do with Google Search itself. Google Search is just happen to be the most used search engine so it's just a natural target for abuse. It's more about Chrome Web Store which has been continuously being abused by scummy extension developers. It's pretty ridiculous that Google keep allowing it to happen and has only done so little about it.
That's a main reason why I don't use the Chrome extension store. I use only the Microsoft store for Chrome Edge, and the F-Droid store for Android.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Some more good stuff from the creator of uBlock Origin. :) He gives an illustrative example of benchmarking while using well over 800,000 network filters. If using a fraction of that amount (like 1/7) but still feeling like it's too much, speaking for myself, I feel a little better now.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    53.8 KB · Views: 452
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    61 KB · Views: 451
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    60.7 KB · Views: 437

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019

Nice test! I scored 74/100 (3 of them "Unable to check" as my medium mode blocking) and I failed the file loading ones for the three banner ads test. Edge itself showed the icon for disabled Flash as I don't use flash anymore anyway.

The failed files were done via java XHR request. I bet there's a static filter that could be used besides blanket blocking first party script. Time for a little research :D

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Did a little research about the additional blocking required to get a bit of a better score but haven't got lots of time this evening. Incidentally, AdGuard gets a default score of 81. I experimented with some flagging and got a default score of 80 with UBO but I had to disable java. Anyway, I guess there's a case for trying it out various options but nothing to do with hard mode UBO with current rules.

It was a useful distraction for a little while anyway :D

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Aha, here I was overthinking it then. I knew it was Russian but hadn't clocked that I'd have to use their language list to filter the rest out. I just use the default ones and the top 3000 list at the moment. Anyway, yeah that works, adding the RUS list gives you perfect score.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Nice test! I scored 74/100 (3 of them "Unable to check" as my medium mode blocking) and I failed the file loading ones for the three banner ads test. Edge itself showed the icon for disabled Flash as I don't use flash anymore anyway.

The failed files were done via java XHR request. I bet there's a static filter that could be used besides blanket blocking first party script. Time for a little research :D
No need to bother really about this test. To me it seems the test is massively flawed. It can only understand blocking if it's blocked by specific filters. I'm using Hard mode on uBlock Origin so all third party sources are automatically blocked but the testing site don't understand some of those blocking as those were not blocked using a static filter. Flash player is blocked by the browser itself which is also not understood by the site also. The "RU Adlist" filter has rules in it for this testing site that's why it's getting a score of 100 with that enabled. So no problem, uBO even at default settings is just fine. Don't bother about the lower score the site is giving you.
If anyone thinks some filters needs to be added on EasyList or Adguard then report it to the great folks there.

1) easylist/easylist

2) AdguardTeam/AdguardFilters

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
No need to bother really about this test. To me it seems the test is massively flawed. It can only understand blocking if it's blocked by specific filters. I'm using Hard mode on uBlock Origin so all third party sources are automatically blocked but the testing site don't understand some of those blocking as those were not blocked using a static filter. Flash player is blocked by the browser itself which is also not understood by the site also. The "RU Adlist" filter has rules in it for this testing site that's why it's getting a score of 100 with that enabled. So no problem, uBO even at default settings is just fine. Don't bother about the lower score the site is giving you.
If anyone thinks some filters needs to be added on EasyList or Adguard then report it to the great folks there.

1) easylist/easylist

2) AdguardTeam/AdguardFilters

Thanks :) Been looking a little at Hard Mode lately though my version of medium mode working without any hitches really.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yes, but ive noticed the list goes outdated wich causes it to not block anything untill update is ran by me or ublock

And for adguard, the list wont work at all
Oh that's a problem then. Here's another that you can try but it's not as good as the other one and not updated often either:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.