To install the stable build:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
FYI: I you're using Kees1958 blocklist (y)(y) the name has been changed
Rename EU_US+most_used_ad_and_tracking_networks to EU_US+most_used_ad…
…_and_tracking_networks.txt
so you may have to re-add it to your imported lists. My old version showed it was out of date with a network error, which led me to the discovery of this recent change.(y)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
New stable version of uBlock Origin 1.44.2
To install the stable build:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Looks like an experimental MV3 version of uBlockOrigin by gorhill
Add experimental MV3 version

This create a separate Chromium extension, named
"uBO Minus (MV3)".

This experimental mv3 version supports only the blocking of
network requests through the declarativeNetRequest API, so as
to abide by the stated MV3 philosophy of not requiring broad
"read/modify data" permission. Accordingly, the extension
should not trigger the warning at installation time:

Read and change all your data on all websites

The consequences of being permission-less are the following:

- No cosmetic filtering (##)
- No scriptlet injection (##+js)
- No redirect= filters
- No csp= filters
- No removeparam= filters

At this point there is no popup panel or options pages.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This experimental mv3 version supports only the blocking of network requests through the declarativeNetRequest API
- No cosmetic filtering (##)
- No scriptlet injection (##+js)
- No redirect= filters
- No csp= filters
- No removeparam= filters
Doesn't look like it would be very useful TBH. If it only blocks network requests, then we can already achieve that with an adblocking DNS like NextDNS/Adguard DNS or things like Adguard Home/Pihole.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Doesn't look like it would be very useful TBH. If it only blocks network requests, then we can already achieve that with an adblocking DNS like NextDNS/Adguard DNS or things like Adguard Home/Pihole.
Agreed. While I do appreciate Gorhill giving users the option to use his extension post-MV2, by intentionally avoiding the read/modify permission, Chromium's uBO isn't going to be a big step up from DNS filtering (although it is still a step up as it isn't restricted to filtering entire domains), and will have even less functionality than AdGuard's offering. (Although one could argue the lack of the read/modify permission might have some appeal. If uBO was acquired by a malicios actor, they couldn't harvest user data or insert adware without introducing said permission.)

Personally, after giving AdGuard's MV3 extension a whirl on a handful of shady sites that aggressively push raunchy, malicious ads and having it fail to block them all, I'm debating whether I want to continue using Chromium browsers next year.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Maybe Firefox and its forks will see a slight return of users as some who are savvy about this phenomenon are turned off from chromium browsers. It sure could use it--it's been losing market share for a couple of years at least to Chrome, Edge, etc.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

uBlock Origin Minus: an experimental Manifest v3 compatible extension​

Raymond Hill, the creator of the popular content blocker uBlock Origin, has published the experimental extension uBO Minus for Chromium-based browsers.

The experimental extension uBOMinus is compatible with Manifest V3. The minus indicates that it is not as powerful as uBlock Origin. Hill reveals that uBO Minus uses the declarativeNetRequest API exclusively, which Google introduced in Manifest V3 to replace more powerful APIs of Manifest V3.

The extension does not require any extra permissions, including the "read and change all your data on all websites" permission. The consequence of this is that certain features are not supported by it. Hill lists cosmetic filtering, scriplet injections, CSP, redirect and removeparam filters specifically.

The Chrome extension uBO Minus uses the same default filter set as uBlock Origin, but in optimized form to take into account the limitations of Manifest V3.

Chrome users who want to give uBO Minus a try may download and install it from the Chrome Web Store. New versions of uBO Minus will be released alongside the regular uBlock Origin extension for Chromium-based browsers and Firefox.

The extension has a simple interface, which highlights the number of blocked items only.

ubo-minus-ublock-origin.png

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
A developer version of µBO Minus was released yesterday as µBO Lite v. 0.1.22.9138. There is now a Settings icon which opens Filter Lists. I found the page broken upon opening.
  • uBO Lite, an experimental permission-lessMV3-based versionDetails
    • The primary goal of this version is to avoid requiring broad "Read and change all your data on all websites" permission, it is intentionally bare as a result. Note that a permission-less content blocker is not possible under MV2.
    • Install from the Chrome Web Store (CWS): uBO Minus (MV3)
    • A Firefox version will be published once it supports the required API.

MV3

• Renamed "uBO Lite" from "uBO Minus"
  • Added ability to enable/disable filter lists
  • Added support for i18n

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
@plat If you try µBO Lite dev version can you tell me if, after selecting Setting icon, your Filter Lists page is broken ?

Went ahead and installed Google Chrome and then the uBO minus from the Web Store. Can't seem to locate the Lite version, though. Can you tell me where to get it?

Version here is: 0.1.22.9086

For anyone interested: what the Minus dashboard looks like in Chrome:
bandicam 2022-09-14 19-23-33-289.png

No words...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.