Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the release of Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
(Long-Term Support) for its Desktop, Server, and Cloud products, as well
as other flavours of Ubuntu with long-term support.

As usual, this point release includes many updates, and updated
installation media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to
be downloaded after installation. These include security updates and
corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining
stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Kubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, Ubuntu Budgie 20.04.1 LTS, Ubuntu MATE 20.04.1 LTS,
Lubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, Ubuntu Kylin 20.04.1 LTS, Ubuntu Studio 20.04.1 LTS,
and Xubuntu 20.04.1 LTS are also now available. More details can be found
in their individual release notes:

FocalFossa/ReleaseNotes - Ubuntu Wiki

Maintenance updates will be provided for 5 years for Ubuntu Desktop,
Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Cloud, and Ubuntu Core. All the remaining
flavours will be supported for 3 years. Additional security support is
available with ESM (Extended Security Maintenance).

To get Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
-------------------------

In order to download Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, visit:

icerulez

Level 2
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
i want to use kubuntu side to my win 10. i love KDE looking. but i'm not sure should i use KDE neon or just KUBUNTU and yeah :)) am not pro

Reactions: Protomartyr

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
i want to use kubuntu side to my win 10. i love KDE looking. but i'm not sure should i use KDE neon or just KUBUNTU and yeah :)) am not pro
KDE Neon has the latest and greatest of KDE Plasma and development applications. So it will be more likely to have bugs or breakages.

If you are a KDE fan and just want KDE, then use Kubuntu. It will give plain vanilla KDE Plasma. Less likely to run into issues, generally.

icerulez

Level 2
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
KDE Neon has the latest and greatest of KDE Plasma and development applications. So it will be more likely to have bugs or breakages.

If you are a KDE fan and just want KDE, then use Kubuntu. It will give plain vanilla KDE Plasma. Less likely to run into issues, generally.
Thank you for informataions. i'll go for kubuntu than. i have few questions my notebook has ryzen 5 3500u cpu+gpu embedded. will i have a problem ? and my trackpoint can dedect 3 fingers at the same time it's like macbook pro's so i'm very used to this. can i use my trackpad on kubuntu like win 10 ? and can i scale my screen %125 instead of %100 like win 10 ? thank you for helping me.

Reactions: Protomartyr

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
Thank you for informataions. i'll go for kubuntu than. i have few questions my notebook has ryzen 5 3500u cpu+gpu embedded. will i have a problem ? and my trackpoint can dedect 3 fingers at the same time it's like macbook pro's so i'm very used to this. can i use my trackpad on kubuntu like win 10 ? and can i scale my screen %125 instead of %100 like win 10 ? thank you for helping me.
AMD CPU should not be a problem for the most part. Just remember that AMD support of Linux is not the same as Intel. So for things such as fan utilities to regulate fan speed and thermal profiles, there might not be any support because coreboot support for AMD has a long way to go. 3 finger trackpad gestures might not work. I don't know to be honest, but the distros that are likely to support it are Fedora, Ubuntu\Kubuntu and Manjaro. There might be some distro out there that supports it, I just do not know about it.

icerulez

Level 2
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
AMD CPU should not be a problem for the most part. Just remember that AMD support of Linux is not the same as Intel. So for things such as fan utilities to regulate fan speed and thermal profiles, there might not be any support because coreboot support for AMD has a long way to go. 3 finger trackpad gestures might not work. I don't know to be honest, but the distros that are likely to support it are Fedora, Ubuntu\Kubuntu and Manjaro. There might be some distro out there that supports it, I just do not know about it.
i see. thank you very much for info. i dont know which distro supports that gestures. this is critical for me but i don't have time to try that much :(((

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It will give plain vanilla KDE Plasma.
Kubuntu is not really "vanilla" KDE. It is packaged, adapted and themed by the Ubuntu team. But it's good. I have two KDE distros currently installed: Kubuntu 20.04, and Manjaro KDE. Each has its issues, to tell you the truth. Manjaro is free from the issues I had on Kubuntu, but introduced a new bug, which they promise will be fixed soon. That's how it is. No software is perfect.
By the way, MX KDE is also good. It is on an older verson of KDE than Kubuntu.

mazskolnieces

Level 3
Well-known
Jul 25, 2020
Kubuntu is not really "vanilla" KDE. It is packaged, adapted and themed by the Ubuntu team.
I just meant KDE Plasma (which I consider plain vanilla) versus KDE Neon and all the developer stuff that ships with it.

From my understanding Kubuntu is developed by a small team of open source volunteer enthusiasts. AFAIK there is no connection between Kubuntu and Ubuntu other than the Ubuntu distro itself. In the past, Kubuntu was supported and developed by Blue Systems. Blue Systems either collaborates or supports KDE Plasma, KDE Neon and Manjaro.

I have two KDE distros currently installed: Kubuntu 20.04, and Manjaro KDE. Each has its issues, to tell you the truth. Manjaro is free from the issues I had on Kubuntu, but introduced a new bug, which they promise will be fixed soon.
Every single distro has an issue sooner or later. The more software you put onto it, and the more hardware you try to use with it, the problems increase exponentially.

I am curious as to how all the Lenovo X1 series Fedora\Ubuntu machines will fair ? I wonder if Lenovo will do a better job of Linux support than Dell ? Even dedicated Linux machine ODMs such as System76 and Purism have their fair share of OS problems. PopOS (System76) for example is one of the better Linux distros out there, but working with it has always been problematic unless you are running it on System76 hardware... and even then...

Lenovo has claimed it is doing its utmost to get Linux support up to a full level this year end and into the future. In response, Dell says it is going to up its Linux game. I am skeptical because none of them seem to get their act together and facts straight. For example, Dell says that you can buy a Windows XPS 13 and convert it over to a Developer edition by simply installing the current Ubuntu release. However, when you research it, you find that people who did just that experience problems whereas the ones running the Dell OEM Linux OS image don't have the same problems. Oh well, we're talking about Dell which is a hot mess anyway.

I am waiting for a Pinebook Pro 64 with Manjaro KDE to arrive. It will probably take a month from Hong Kong due to COVID.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I just meant KDE Plasma (which I consider plain vanilla) versus KDE Neon and all the developer stuff that ships with it.
Right, got it. I was just being super technical about the term "vanilla". Technically, it means the package as it was released without modifications or customizations.
From my understanding Kubuntu is developed by a small team of open source volunteer enthusiasts. AFAIK there is no connection between Kubuntu and Ubuntu other than the Ubuntu distro itself.
You are probably right, I don't know so much about it. But Kubuntu is an official flavor of Ubuntu, so I would consider the devs who work on it to be on the Ubuntu team, in the broader sense of the term, even if they are not officially part of Canonical.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
You are probably right, I don't know so much about it. But Kubuntu is an official flavor of Ubuntu, so I would consider the devs who work on it to be on the Ubuntu team, in the broader sense of the term, even if they are not officially part of Canonical.
Yeah, official flavors need to follow Canonical requirements.

Most of the bugs people experience with Ubuntu are caused by the additional system hardening implemented by Canonical, by default it's a very secure distro and it blocks the direct execution of system binaries that can be exploited by hackers, AppArmor it's also enabled by default and critical security patches get pushed into production repos very fast.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.