Advice Request Unblocking TV overseas.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JimHdy

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2019
I'm going on a trip overseas and was wondering if there is a way to unblock my fire tv so I can watch US based tv (Netflix, Prime etc). Does anyone know of anything that will do that.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
You will need to use a VPN, or a DNS service like Smart DNS. Many VPN providers have US based servers for watching Netflix and other US steaming services. However you can use Netflix without doing this and you will be able to watch the local Netflix, as your Netflix account works world wide.

Note that when just connecting to a regular US server, most likely Netflix, Hulu and some other streaming services, will recognise that you are using a VPN and won't let you access the US Netflix. Some streaming services like Sling, can be watched from any US server.

It pays to have a look at recent customer reviews form VPNs, as sometimes the servers for Netflix, stop working. Hopefully recent reviews will be able to tell you if these servers are still working.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Thanks for all the help. I orderd one of the routers computer man mentioned above. I'll let you know how it works out.
It's too late now as you've already purchased it. But just spending a few dollars on a VPN subscription was all you needed to do. All major VPNs have Android apps, which are really easy to set up.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.