Hot Take [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Comparison between browser extensions

Test 29/12
Q&A - [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 24/11
Q&A - [Updated 24/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 12/11
Q&A - [Updated 12/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 7/11
Q&A - [Updated 7/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 6/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 3/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 2/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test, quick 1/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Fun test 25/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 24/7/2018 (most comprehensive, as possible)
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 19/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 10/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 18/7/2018

Updated 10/7/2018

Updated 7/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 7/6/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 3/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 3/6/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 25/4/2018
Poll - [Updated 25/4/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Update: 23/3/2018
Poll - [Updated 23/3/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Browser: Google Chrome 65 x64
Malware and phishing links: 10 malc0de, 10 vxvault, 10 openphish, 10 verified phishtank, 10 unverified phishtank
Total: 50 links
Extensions: recently downloaded from Chrome Web Store
- Google Safe Browsing (built-in chrome's protection)
- AdGuard AdBlocker: default settings, uses Google Safe Browsing (delayed) and their own database
- Avira browser safety: default settings
- Norton Safe Web: default settings
- Bitdefender Trafficlight: default settings, it rarely blocks any malware links, just old ones
- Avast Online Security: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- Netcraft Extension: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- uBlock Origin with some additional filters

NOTE: the result can vary from day-to-day. Tomorrow with different links, the result can be very different. All are live links but they can be dead a few minutes after the test. No duplication

Results:
result.png

Winner: Google Safe Browsing

Last edited:

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Try this link here: Breaks YouTube? · Issue #83 · snyderp/web-api-manager The post by
CHEF-KOCH should help all interested parties.
As i said before i didn't configure my extensions for 1 thing so when i stumbled upon testing sites and pass, then get called into question of what i did to pass the certain site which i never knew off it make happy but also i makes me want to pick apart things which i shouldn't because it took nuff time to get where i am. I will try to find exactly what is responsible for blocking it in WebApi Manager. thank you

Last edited:

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Try this link here: Breaks YouTube? · Issue #83 · snyderp/web-api-manager The post by
CHEF-KOCH should help all interested parties.
As i said before i didn't configure my extensions for 1 thing so when i stumbled upon testing sites and pass, then get called into question of what i did to pass the certain site which i never knew off it make happy but also i makes me want to pick apart things which i shouldn't because it took nuff time to get where i am. I will try to find exactly what is responsible for blocking it in WebApi Manager. thank you
Hi, thanks for your time. :) But how is the link relevant? :unsure:

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
So you mean we should use the configuration posted there as a baseline??

I'd furthermore suggest to enable "Pointer Lock" and disable "Fullscreen API". (The last thing hinder a fullscreen windows from youtube to be killed by the button fullscreen-button of the player.)

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
No. Blocking it is just as good as having a normal fingerprint. Think about it. How many people use an extension to block Canvas? But I might be wrong. We need more feedback here. :)
Well theres millions and millions without even adblock. But yeah thats good question...anyways im running WebAPI on lite settings from now, maybe tweak it later to meet my needs

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
@Terry Ganzi what extensions do you fully use?

~LDogg

I use TunnelBear Blocker alone with Ublock because they are good at different things & they compliment each other, next scriptsafe plus WebApi Manager are good at different things but they compliment each other also, the 2 last extension are time consuming nuff research is needed and you have to be focus setting for TBB,UB,WAM all together are so many i don't even no how to begin.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDogg

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
The word "java" isn't even on that page. :D

Canvas Element
what is the usage of canvas element in html5

The HTML <canvas> element is used to draw graphics, on the fly, via JavaScript. The <canvas> element is only a container for graphics. You must use JavaScript to actually draw the graphics. Canvas has several methods for drawing paths, boxes, circles, text, and adding images.
HTML5 Canvas - W3Schools

HTML5 Canvas

Last edited:

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Also added Tunnelbear Blocker as well!!

~LDogg

You will need to open this page from TBB settings (chrome-extension://bebdhgdigjiiamnkcenegafmfjoghafk/settings.html ) then press on UB protector a page will open scroll down to troubleshooter and press on extra installations steps and something should be added to TBB, press the bear and you will see what has been added.

My bad install Nano Defender same time or along with TBB to get the above working right. Sorry for not putting it first, my bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.