Advice Request Upgrade Protection Notifcations in Avast Free?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Recently after I downloaded a OneClickFirewall, and it became my FIRST virus alert on this PC.

upload_2016-6-12_0-35-13.png

Since then I started receiving these notifications, but as I understand these cannot be disabled (turned off) for Avast Free Antivirus - only paid. Yes, they can be closed.

Now my question is, Do these Notifications only appear if Avast has detected a prior threat in real-time?

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Yeah, here they started fairly recently too, and I don't think it has anything to do with detections; it's just an advertisement like Avast always does. You can turn that off by enabling game mode, but of course that disables any notification including threats found.

Reactions: Logethica and Ink

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
I doubt it, when I was a free user, those notifications used to come up occasionally. But ever since I earned my Avast Internet Security three-year licence key via their recommendation program, (recommend to twenty-five for a three year license key or fourteen for two year or seven for one year.) never have I seen such notification.

Reactions: Logethica and Ink

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How long before you started receiving the notifications, on a clean PC, the same day or a week later?

Reactions: Logethica

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
@Huracan For question -answer is No,they popup randomly.If you enabled Silent/Gaming Mode in Avast! free then no Popups,but if it enabled then threats popup also be disabled. :) I personally turn on Silent/Gaming Mode for my work.

D

Deleted member 2913

Avast is bloated one or the other ways. They remove something & then add something. And these popups/ads, users on Wilders, Avast forums have requested many many times to remove them, if I remember correctly there was a thread by Avast on Wilders & Avast forums requesting users what they dont like in Avast & to improve Avast & many users mentioned to remove bloats/ads, etc...but Avast still the same...& seems will remain so... I use to run Avast but got tired of all the stuffs & finally moved on.

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
I was also unhappy with constant upgrade ads etc until reading a forum thread showing how to stop . Ever since no ads at all but still get the malware/bad site warnings as required so permanent solution for me.Cant remember thread but noted down procedure which is to block AvastUI.exe connexion in Firewall . Procedure in Windows 7 similar Win8 is :
Con Panel,Windows Firewall ,Advanced settings, right click Outbound Rules , New Rule, Program ,next , in "This Program Path" type
"C\Program Files\Avast Software\ Avast\ AvastUI.exe , next, "Block the Connexion" ,next, paste or input "AvastUI" in "Name" option, Finish

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well even though Avast Free can be so generous to provide essential features, unfortunately profits is one of their main target so honestly no violation but accept the fact it is a tradition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.