Protected by a PIN code
Find my Phone
On
Security & Privacy Apps
F-Secure SAFE
Browser
Opera with built-in ad blocker.
File and Photo backup
Huaweis automatic built-in backup and Huaweis tool HiSuite.

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
I miss WP, not so much W10M. But I'd take W10M over the alternatives any day. Especially now, the app gap would be non-existant because PWA's.

I hear good things about this P20P. And 4000mAh should be basically an all-day battery.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
So far I can go without charging 2 days and that's with pretty excessive use, but what's excessive to me can be something very different for others. The phone comes with a good enough battery manager so no need IMO with any extra app for that specific task. It's very easy to get the overview that's needed. From a security point of view that's also important as less installed apps, the better.

The phone does lack wireless charging and even if I didn't always used it on my previous phone, I do think a phone in this range should have that option.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Updated to EMUI version 9.0.0.195.

Includes updated Android Security patch : 01 January 2019.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Security for eyes. :D I'm in general a fan of Dark mode and enabled it as much as possible but was a bit surprised with the Outlook app.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Installed HiSuite on PC. Thats Huaweis own device manager for things like backups, recovery, file management etc. The explorer option is more then good enough IMO. The built-in HiSuite on the phone is a collection of tools, guides and recommendations. For example a specific maintenance mode. It locks and prevents access to photo, contacts, messages and other personal information during a Service.

kJDQZIdm_o.png

Cons : Was very slow when it backup Apps.

Pros : Encryption for backups.

6B1BkXsF_o.jpg
6B1BkXsF_o.jpg
6B1BkXsF_o.jpg

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Applock, a general security feature in Android I guess. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone else using or tested? Seems it has some sort of delay on certain apps or at least works after a reboot. Also noted that the shortcut on one app was protected but not the main file. :unsure: That was again fixed with a reboot.

Perhaps vendor related but feels a bit inconsistent.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Factory reset ( hard reset ) tested. Took about 2 minutes and the rest with the use of HiSuite like 10. Backup now fully Verified. Several app accounts still had to be configured and one app re-installed. F-Secure SAFE I only needed to do a login and enable the Finder feature. Manually started the VPN and after a check that both those layers was set for automatic start, a reboot confirmed it.

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
Factory reset ( hard reset ) tested. Took about 2 minutes and the rest with the use of HiSuite like 10. Backup now fully Verified. Several app accounts still had to be configured and one app re-installed. F-Secure SAFE I only needed to do a login and enable the Finder feature. Manually started the VPN and after a check that both those layers was set for automatic start, a reboot confirmed it.
That's nuts you've got like a full backup for your Android. I back up all my important data, but a system backup would be extra cool.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Updated to EMUI version 9.0.0.203.

Includes updated Android Security patch : 01 February 2019.

Google Play was after the update for unknown reasons not fully working, but easy fixed by manually close inside settings/app and restart the app.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@upnorth
Welcome to the world of modern tech. Your P20 Pro is now outdated by the P30 Pro. As long as you are happy with what you have, updated models really don't matter.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Your very correct @Spawn and it's not different even from the old tech as even there and then anything new, was old within a few months. I accepted it long long time ago.

P30 Pro is what P20 Pro should be. Better image/video stabilisator, wireless charging etc. I'm still satisfied enough with the P20 Pro and especially with the price tag I got it for. Right now I'm testing a bit more with the camera and the video as it seems very good. The night shot mode been a nice surprise.

Updated to EMUI version 9.0.0.236.

Includes updated Android Security patch : 01 March 2019

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Updated to EMUI version 9.0.0.270.

Includes updated Android Security patch : 01 April 2019
Google Play was a bit odd again with a blank screen after the update. Fixed by manuell close the app inside the phones main settings/app and then restart the app. Phone restarted to ensure everything works.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.