Protected by a PIN code
Find my Phone
On
Security & Privacy Apps
F-Secure SAFE
Browser
Opera with built-in ad blocker.
File and Photo backup
Huaweis automatic built-in backup and Huaweis tool HiSuite.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Updated to EMUI version 9.0.0.286.

Includes updated Android Security patch : May 6, 2019

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Huge thanks @silversurfer for posting this! Made me finally after several months actually search and find the built-in QR scanner on my Huawei phone. :oops: I already had installed an app for it but a bit of waste I thought, until I read the article a bit more.
"Most smartphone QR code scanner apps will instantly redirect the user to the malicious website via the phone’s native browser,"
Chrome! Wish it could open the default browser instead. Opera actually does come with a built-in QR scanner, tap the address bar and click on it's button on the right side, but I can't make it automatic stop open the url/link. Same thing with Chrome. 😓

Huawei use a Photo feature called HiVision ( video below ) for QR codes, language translations and more, not enabled by default. Accessible either through the main camera or a hidden bar on the lock screen. Also, first time using the QR scanner it actually asks before using the automatic redirection option, but here's the sad part. It's either cancel the question or permanent allow. It would obvious be much safer if the question " One time " existed and one could also view the full url before.

Though Googles Play Store is serious infested IMO with too many apps for this simple task and most seem to enforce a bit too many permissions, I found and tested a few apps that should be secure enough considering they don't open urls automatic. Simply done by created a QR code online and added any common ( non malicious ) url and saved the pic.

Tested apps.
Norton and Kaspersky has extra built-in security layers. Kasperskys app even comes with a it's own browser. Probably the safest of them all. Still, the last one was the most snappy one and the one I had previously installed and even if it contains ads, it's not annoying IMO.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Have you received the July 2019 security patch and EMUI 9.1?
No, and it's always been annoying to say the least as those updates always been slow. I did though investigate it few months ago and it's the Telcom operators that for some unknown reason holds it back instead of as I first initially thought Huawei. The installed apps gets updated flawless.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No, and it's always been annoying to say the least as those updates always been slow. I did though investigate it few months ago and it's the Telcom operators that for some unknown reason holds it back instead of as I first initially thought Huawei. The installed apps gets updated flawless.
I had this issue with a previous Android phone, updates were so delayed that I ended up buying my current straight from the manufacturer.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Confirmed list of HW phones to get EMUI 10 upgrade next month

And considering that EMUI 10 is for Android Q means the latter will be released too

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Hicare didn't help but, I also saw that EMUI 9.1 for P20 Pro is being released sometime this month so I just have to wait.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Did you check that the country is properly set in HiCare?

Open up Hicare => Me (at the bottom right) => Settings => Select country/region

Also, try using a VPN to check for download

Or else 9.1 is not scheduled to be released in your region yet. Try to find the release date on the net for your region.

FYI, 9.1 is a huge update of 4 GB size in my case

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Country checked. VPN in use 24/7. Hicare finds nothing.

Will search a bit more for my region but if it's released in a week or two, I'm satisfied.

I still got over 100 GB available so it won't be an issue.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I looked online, but I might be wrong with the first one.
It appears that Android updates are passed around before if you receive updates, on a locked phone.
Google > Manufacturer > MNO (Mobile Network Operator) > Manufacturer > You
Except for Apple users where there is no middle-man.

Unlocked phones (Not locked to a MNO):
Google > Manufacturer > Unlocked Phones

Fastest updates:
Google > Pixel users
Apple > iPhone users

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Forced to update HiSuite after this message. New main backup created and confirmed ( Verified ).

2ItNM8aq_o.png

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Updated to EMUI version 9.1.0.311. ✌

Includes updated Android Security patch : July 1, 2019
Seems several new apps is not included like for example the AR Mesure. Probably exclusive for P30.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Updated to EMUI version 9.1.0.311. :emoji_v:

Includes updated Android Security patch : July 1, 2019
Seems several new apps is not included like for example the AR Mesure. Probably exclusive for P30.
I got mine (v310) a few days back for my HW phone

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Updated to EMUI version 9.1.0.328.

Includes updated Android Security patch : August 5, 2019

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.