Use AVAST as a super light and easy to use ANTI-EXECUTABLE (Guide)

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Hi, I am no way someone that doesn't know their way around a computer but wondering what the pro's and con's are to running this set up? I currently run Avast 2017 free with PUPs enabled and Hardened mode on aggressive. Along with the web and behaviour component enabled.

Reactions: SHvFl and shmu26

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
For this setup to work you need to have UAC enabled. Only with UAC (so Vista or higher), you can consider to exclude on execute scanning of UAC protected folders.

When you are on Windows 8 and use Chrome in AppContainer or Windows 10 and use Edge or Chrome, chances of getting hit by flash, java or javascript based malware is minimal so you can consider to disable web component.

For 2017 version I would keep behavioral component enabled, it is a nice second safety net which I would keep enabled in all setup variations.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For this setup to work you need to have UAC enabled. Only with UAC (so Vista or higher), you can consider to exclude on execute scanning of UAC protected folders.

When you are on Windows 8 and use Chrome in AppContainer or Windows 10 and use Edge or Chrome, chances of getting hit by flash, java or javascript based malware is minimal so you can consider to disable web component.

For 2017 version I would keep behavioral component enabled, it is a nice second safety net which I would keep enabled in all setup variations.
do you know which component of the 2017 version is responsible for certain programs not running, although they ran well with the previous version of AVAST?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014

Maybe a good idea is to also uninstall IE that doesn't offer the same protection as Edge in case that you download something weird, launch it and then tries to use IE to abuse your system.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
do you know which component of the 2017 version is responsible for certain programs not running, although they ran well with the previous version of AVAST?
I doubt it's due to game mode. It turns off avast's notifications

in 1 occasion, after a hybrid sleep, my avast completely froze, not able to open the main UI while settings UI was still accessible. I was not able to open 1 of my applications at it showed up briefly in task manager and then terminated. I couldn't open game mode to see if it caused the problem or not => I logged off -> entered my user account -> everything worked again

edit: my unconfirmed temporary solution
Capture.PNG

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I doubt it's due to game mode. It turns off avast's notifications

in 1 occasion, after a hybrid sleep, my avast completely froze, not able to open the main UI while settings UI was still accessible. I was not able to open 1 of my applications at it showed up briefly in task manager and then terminated. I couldn't open game mode to see if it caused the problem or not => I logged off -> entered my user account -> everything worked again

edit: my unconfirmed temporary solution
View attachment 138658
I saw they pushed out a new beta. Does it fix issues, without breaking anything else?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I saw they pushed out a new beta. Does it fix issues, without breaking anything else?
I don't want to install the beta as it may cause more problems. This final version has enough problems to be dealt with. Let's wait until they push out the official release so it would be a bit more stable

Reactions: shmu26 and SHvFl

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Maybe a good idea is to also uninstall IE that doesn't offer the same protection as Edge in case that you download something weird, launch it and then tries to use IE to abuse your system.

Good advice , I for instance uninstalled IE when I ran windows 10

Reactions: BugCode and shmu26

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016

No sorry never had any problems myself using just fileshield

Reactions: shmu26

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
The question is would you use it instead of the NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro or Woodooshield?
NVT ERP is deprecated and both have multiple popups though VoodooShield in smart or always on mode turns itself off when you allow the prompt for install which is nice. Avast decides for you though. Essentially more usable than either.

Reactions: Andy Ful

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
The question is would you use it instead of the NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro or Woodooshield?
Sorry for the vague answer, but I woudl choose this
1. Avast Fileshield using hardened mode (aggresive) cloud whitelist works fine for average (not security aware) users
2. Voodoo Shield I would use in Auto-pilot mode for moderate (security) aware users
3. Experienced users are professional enough to make their own choices :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
How is the current stable version of Avast 2017? Does it still have the issues that people were complaining about when it first came out, or are they solved?

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
How is the current stable version of Avast 2017? Does it still have the issues that people were complaining about when it first came out, or are they solved?
I never had any problems with Avast 2017 but apparently, conflicts between Comodo Firewall HIPS and Avast BS as well as BSoDs should be fixed.

You can always install it and see how it behaves on your PC. :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I never had any problems with Avast 2017 but apparently, conflicts between Comodo Firewall HIPS and Avast BS as well as BSoDs should be fixed.

You can always install it and see how it behaves on your PC. :)
In fact I did that.
The issue that affected me was that it blocked scheduled backups of Macrium Reflect.
I just got an answer from the Avast forum, they say to wait until the next release is announced.

Reactions: Andy Ful

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
In fact I did that.
The issue that affected me was that it blocked scheduled backups of Macrium Reflect.
I just got an answer from the Avast forum, they say to wait until the next release is announced.
Does it still block Macrium Reflect? If yes, do you know which component?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I believe with only 3 following modules installed + 1 setting modification => there would be no problem
I experienced a few problems with avast but after using those settings in the screenshots, I have had none so far. Game mode, IMO, the cause of most problems

the other problem is setting importing. Confirmed temporary fix is to import a backup file from version 2016 => cancel => import the backup file of v2017 => done

Capture.PNG 1.PNG

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
What if I enable the other features + the features for setting up as an anti-exe will Avast still be an anti-exe?

If yes, then with the above setup does that means I do not require another anti-exe?

Thanks

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Productmanager of Avast emailed me that will do some improvements on the GUI in Q4 and are considering the option to allow folder exceptions for hardened mode,. This facilitates a local AV blacklist approach or Windows and Program files and a Whitelist (hardened mode) approach for user space. This best of both worlds would reduce negatives effects of whitelist blocking unknown legitimate programs to a minimum since it would only apply to user space (which normally only contains new and portable programs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.